It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• Does Niacin cause night sweating?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-02-2007, 07:33 AM   #16
    Guy1_USA
    Inactive
    (male)

Guy1_USA HB User
    Re: Does Niacin cause night sweating?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ballady3
    How is Niaspan different from Flush Niacin. Is it just than it is time-released?
    Niaspan is Extended Release niacin.

Niacin Types:

Immediate-release, Slow-release, and Extended-release niacin.

I've read that Niacin:

It appears that flushing is the biggest issue with taking niacin. I have read that taking a small dose of asprin ( 80 mg ) with the niacin can help with this.

For most folks, 2000 mg is the maximum dose. Amounts above that can increase side effects, such as liver issues and blood sugar issues. I take 3000 mg a day of Niaspan (Extended release) without any side effects, liver issues, or blood sugar issues... so I'm happy about that.

You start out slowly on niacin... only increasing the dose every 4 weeks.

Because niacin can cause liver problems, you need to keep your Doctor informed so he can have your liver checked.

Last edited by Guy1_USA; 08-02-2007 at 07:38 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2007, 06:19 AM   #17
                  Lenin
                  Senior Veteran
                  (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Quote:
                  Immediate-release niacin causes the most flushing

Slow-release niacin is at higher risk of liver problems than other types of niacin. In particular, liver failure and hepatitis

Extended-release niacin: Can slightly increase blood sugar levels. Bothers women more than men at doses higher than 2grams.
                  Not wanting to make a joke here, but this sounds SO much like Goldilocks trying out Papa, Mama, and Baby Bears' things.

I think the differentiation that KOS Pharma makes between "extended," "sustained," long-acting," and "slow-release" is pure semantics...a distinction without difference.

Old 08-03-2007, 06:52 PM   #18
                  Guy1_USA
                  Inactive
                  (male)

Guy1_USA HB User

I've never read anything from KOS... so I can't respond. My information comes from elsewhere.

However, given your metaphor... my Niacin bed is just right...

Closed Thread