It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• First Visit after LEEP - now Dr. says the LEEP biopsy has not healed?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-03-2007, 11:47 PM   #1
    RouxWoman
    (female)

RouxWoman HB User
    First Visit after LEEP - now Dr. says the LEEP biopsy has not healed?

Ok folks, here I go again with worry.

Had LEEP done three months ago. Today she took a look and said that the biopsy has not healed!

Has anyone ever had rhis problem?

Also, she said she was concerned about the pap coming back as CINll even though the colposcopy and LEEP came back negative.
    She took other biopsys from the vaginal area.

Now, I have to start sweating all over again. I thought this was over

ANyone heard of vaginal cancer? I just don't understand any of this now.

Thanks for reading this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2007, 02:23 AM   #2
    fairydust7
    (female)

fairydust7 HB User
    Re: First Visit after LEEP - now Dr. says the LEEP biopsy has not healed?

I've read a bit about vaginal cancer, from my understanding its a lot like cervical cancer in how it progresses and whatnot. it can be picked up on paps and of course be mistaken for cervical issues since cervical dysplasia is more common or whatever. if the dysplasia is on the vaginal walls i'm not sure how they remove if, if they do leeps or what. but i remember this because i read that even after having hysterectomies women should get screened because of the risk of vaginal cancer. i've been trying to talk my mom into going but she refuses cause she had a doctor told her its not necessary since she doesn't have a cervix anymore. which is not true.

Old 08-04-2007, 10:49 AM   #3
    RouxWoman
    (female)

RouxWoman HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fairydust7 View Post
    I've read a bit about vaginal cancer, from my understanding its a lot like cervical cancer in how it progresses and whatnot. it can be picked up on paps and of course be mistaken for cervical issues since cervical dysplasia is more common or whatever. if the dysplasia is on the vaginal walls i'm not sure how they remove if, if they do leeps or what. but i remember this because i read that even after having hysterectomies women should get screened because of the risk of vaginal cancer. i've been trying to talk my mom into going but she refuses cause she had a doctor told her its not necessary since she doesn't have a cervix anymore. which is not true.
    Wow!
    Thank you for your info. I will have to do research on vaginal cancer.
    Have you ever heard of a Dx of CIN ll, then the Coposcospy & LEEP come back negative?
    Can mistakes be made and if so how?
    Also, when they say these type of cancers progress slowly, how slow are we talking? 2 years, 5 years, 10 years. Can someone go that long without ANY symptoms?

Thanks again

Thanks again, and I hope your mom goes to get tested

Old 08-05-2007, 10:29 AM   #4
    Shshi
    Inactive
    (female)

Shshi HB UserShshi HB User

Hi RouxWoman,

Vaginal cancer is very much like cervical cancer in that the same type of cells that line the vagina also line the cervix. There is no clear dividing line between where the cervix ends and the vagina begins. HPV can cause the same changes in cells of the vagina that it does in cervical cells. Usually the treatment for vaginal dysplasia (also knowns as VAIN) is laser vaporization or cryosurgery (where the abnormal cells are frozen off) and sometimes chemotherapy is used.

I'll be keeping you in my prayers that everything turns out okay.

Fairydust,

Even though your mother had a hysterectomy, she still needs a Pap test every year. It is vital that she do so, no matter what her doctor said. Maybe if you tell her what happened to me, she'll understand. (You might want to print this out and show it to her.)

My family doctor told me after my hysterectomy in 2002 that I didn't need to have Pap tests anymore since I had never had an abnormal one and since I no longer have a cervix. So I went three years without one.

In 2005, my new family doctor talked me into have a Pap. It came back ACS-US. A retest three months later was also ACS-US. At the time of the retest, my doctor had the lab do an HPV test on the cells, and I tested positive for one or more of the strains of HPV which cause cancer. (Approximately 80% of all sexually active people have HPV at some time in their life and don't even know it.)

I was referred to an gyn who did a colposcopy and biopsy which showed moderate and severe dysplasia (VAIN II/III) on my vaginal cuff (the area where my cervix used to be.)

I didn't have any treatment at that time, as my mom had just died, and I was having some severe depression. My gyn agreed that my body might clear the dysplasia on it's own (though I later found out that with VAIN III, that rarely happens), so we just monitored the problem with Pap tests every three months.

I had a normal Pap and colposcopy June of 2006, but I think my doctor missed something because in December, my Pap came back LGSIL, a level worse than it had before.

A colposcopy and biopsy in February 2007 showed carcinoma in situ, cancer which hasn't yet spread beyond where it originated. When the CIS was found, my gyn sent me to an oncologist, and I had laser surgery in May. My first follow-up Pap and colposcopy are coming up next Thursday, and I'm getting very nervous. I know the chances are good that everything will be fine, but since I have HPV, there is always the possibility of the dysplasia or even cancer returning.

If I had listened to my first family doctor and never had another Pap test, the cancer may never have been discovered in time. I'm just grateful that my new family doctor suggested that I go ahead with the Pap. It may have saved my life!

Last edited by Shshi; 08-05-2007 at 10:33 AM.

Old 08-05-2007, 12:53 PM   #5
    RouxWoman
    (female)

RouxWoman HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shashi View Post
    Hi RouxWoman,

Vaginal cancer is very much like cervical cancer in that the same type of cells that line the vagina also line the cervix. There is no clear dividing line between where the cervix ends and the vagina begins. HPV can cause the same changes in cells of the vagina that it does in cervical cells. Usually the treatment for vaginal dysplasia (also knowns as VAIN) is laser vaporization or cryosurgery (where the abnormal cells are frozen off) and sometimes chemotherapy is used.

Fairydust,

Even though your mother had a hysterectomy, she still needs a Pap test every year. It is vital that she do so, no matter what her doctor said. Maybe if you tell her what happened to me, she'll understand. (You might want to print this out and show it to her.)

My family doctor told me after my hysterectomy in 2002 that I didn't need to have Pap tests anymore since I had never had an abnormal one and since I no longer have a cervix. So I went three years without one.

In 2005, my new family doctor talked me into have a Pap. It came back ACS-US. A retest three months later was also ACS-US. At the time of the retest, my doctor had the lab do an HPV test on the cells, and I tested positive for one or more of the strains of HPV which cause cancer. (Approximately 80% of all sexually active people have HPV at some time in their life and don't even know it.)

I was referred to an gyn who did a colposcopy and biopsy which showed moderate and severe dysplasia (VAIN II/III) on my vaginal cuff (the area where my cervix used to be.)

I didn't have any treatment at that time, as my mom had just died, and I was having some severe depression. My gyn agreed that my body might clear the dysplasia on it's own (though I later found out that with VAIN III, that rarely happens), so we just monitored the problem with Pap tests every three months.

I had a normal Pap and colposcopy June of 2006, but I think my doctor missed something because in December, my Pap came back LGSIL, a level worse than it had before.

A colposcopy and biopsy in February 2007 showed carcinoma in situ, cancer which hasn't yet spread beyond where it originated. When the CIS was found, my gyn sent me to an oncologist, and I had laser surgery in May. My first follow-up Pap and colposcopy are coming up next Thursday, and I'm getting very nervous. I know the chances are good that everything will be fine, but since I have HPV, there is always the possibility of the dysplasia or even cancer returning.

If I had listened to my first family doctor and never had another Pap test, the cancer may never have been discovered in time. I'm just grateful that my new family doctor suggested that I go ahead with the Pap. It may have saved my life!
    SHASHI,

Thank you so much for you valuable information and sharing your experiences.
    This is so confusing to say the least. My doctor said I did not have HPV, but this time she said she will check for it!

Sometimes (after reading others experiences) I think some of these doctors just say anything to women.

It frustrates me when the Doctor told me that all the biopsys came back negative (three months ago) and I only had to come back in three months to have another pap.
    Now, when I go back she had two interns do a colposcopy and they each took turns looking. One said she did not see anything and the second intern said "well, I see something looks like dark specks" so the doctor said that may be just residue from the LEEP, but they took three biops and now I have to wait it out.
    I have no symptoms of anything being wrong. I have no bleeding, no pain, nothing unsual. At this point I think I may need to have another opinion on this thing. I just do not feel confidant about this doctor. She is at a top hospital, but I need to be sure she is experienced enough to really know what is up. Also, she scares me so much because she always has a frowned/worried look on her face, and she NEVER talks about anything other than things beings cancer. She never says any of the lesser issues it may be.

Not saying that the doctor is not a good doctor, but I guess I feel so chopped up since from the start there were problems. When they did the first colop it came back negative, then they did another colpo and this time the interns said they see something which turned out to be the same spot they took from from the first, then they did a LEEP which came back negative.
    I know and understand that they want to be sure (I do too) but I wish I could feel like I was more on top of what is happening to me.

I wish you all the best. I know how you must feel. You have come through before and you will come through again. Everything will be alright, and like you say it was best you took the second doctors advice and direction.
    GOOD LUCK

Last edited by RouxWoman; 08-05-2007 at 12:59 PM. Reason: cont

Old 08-06-2007, 08:05 AM   #6
    fairydust7
    (female)

fairydust7 HB User

Quote:
    Hi RouxWoman,

Fairydust,

Wow I am so glad you got a doctor that knew you should still be having paps. I am going to read this to my mom since she lives in Texas and can't read anymore (legally blind). I really hope that your follow up pap and colpo come back negative!

Roux, I personally have never heard of a leep coming back negative like that. My paps keep coming back ascus and my last colposcopy was clear, no dysplasia or anything besides a bit of cervicitis. My follow up pap I had in June came back with mild dysplasia. The doctor decided not to do a follow up colpo yet. I'm supposed to go back in Sept for another pap. Which I need to schedule today actually. I have a genetic skin disorder that is a dysplasia, so they don't know if all my ascus paps are because of my funky skin cells or what. My very first pap did come back normal, but they didn't get a full pap because my hymen was abnormal and they could not get a speculum in. So they just used a long q-tip or something to swab some cells. whether they got my cervix or not, i don't know. But my following one they did a normal pap and ever since then I've always had ascus or mild dysplasia. Going on 6 1/2 years now. But i also have hpv, which was picked up on my first real pap. But I hadn't even started having sex until a week before my first real pap, the first "pap" with just a q-tip was done before i'd ever had sex obviously. So they don't really know what the heck is going on with me lol.

Old 08-06-2007, 09:10 AM   #7
    Shshi
    Inactive
    (female)

Shshi HB UserShshi HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fairydust7 View Post
    My follow up pap I had in June came back with mild dysplasia. The doctor decided not to do a follow up colpo yet. I'm supposed to go back in Sept for another pap.
    Fairydust, I keep seeing where doctors don't do a colpo for Paps that return ASC-US or mild dysplasia and it worries me.

My first abnormal Paps were ASC-US, but the colpo and biopsy showed moderate and severe dysplasia.

My last Pap only showed mild dysplasia (LGSIL), but when the biopsy was done, it was carcinoma in situ! If my doctor hadn't done the colposcopy, the cancer may have spread.

I've read somewhere that Paps usually come back less severe than the actual dysplasia. I've also read that it's recommended that with a postive HPV finding and an ASC-US Pap, a colposcopy be done. If your doctor isn't following the recommendations, you might want to find one that will.

I hope everything turns out okay for you (and for your mom too.)

Hugs,

Lisa

Last edited by Shshi; 08-06-2007 at 09:20 AM.

Old 08-06-2007, 02:56 PM   #8
    RouxWoman
    (female)

RouxWoman HB User

"I have a genetic skin disorder that is a dysplasia, so they don't know if all my ascus paps are because of my funky skin cells or what.

WOW!

You worte something very interesting. I, too, have something on my stomach area and side that I thought was psorisis (sp), but they did a test (sent to lab) and they said it was Lykinplantus (sp). It looks like psorisis to me, scaely, flakey and was red and itchy. Then they gave me ointment for it, and now it is turned brown, but is no longer red and not much itch.
    My question, should I tell my doctor that I have this. Would/could it be possible that this could affect a pap?

Understand that I have never, ever had a skin condition, and nothing is in my family line. All of a sudden about two years ago I broke out with this red itching, and it progress from there.

If not being too personal, what do they say your skin condition is???

Thanks so much for everything

Old 08-06-2007, 11:34 PM   #9
    fairydust7
    (female)

fairydust7 HB User

Quote:
    Fairydust, I keep seeing where doctors don't do a colpo for Paps that return ASC-US or mild dysplasia and it worries me.

My first abnormal Paps were ASC-US, but the colpo and biopsy showed moderate and severe dysplasia.

My last Pap only showed mild dysplasia (LGSIL), but when the biopsy was done, it was carcinoma in situ! If my doctor hadn't done the colposcopy, the cancer may have spread.

I've read somewhere that Paps usually come back less severe than the actual dysplasia. I've also read that it's recommended that with a postive HPV finding and an ASC-US Pap, a colposcopy be done. If your doctor isn't following the recommendations, you might want to find one that will.

I hope everything turns out okay for you (and for your mom too.)

Hugs,

Lisa
    I did wonder why he decided not to follow up with a colposcopy again. I know after my next one if it is not negative (which wiill be a first if so!) I will demand a colposcopy if it isn't suggested. The nurse I talked to when I called for my results of my last pap was somewhat surprised, but she thinks he's giving me a break since I've had quite a few colpo's and lots of paps done. But personally I would've preferred having another colpo. Next month is my pap, I tried to schedule it today but they aren't booking for sept yet. so I have to call back next Monday. I do get concerned that they keep missing the dysplasia because the biopsies come back fine.

Old 08-06-2007, 11:40 PM   #10
    fairydust7
    (female)

fairydust7 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RouxWoman View Post
    "I have a genetic skin disorder that is a dysplasia, so they don't know if all my ascus paps are because of my funky skin cells or what.

WOW!

You worte something very interesting. I, too, have something on my stomach area and side that I thought was psorisis (sp), but they did a test (sent to lab) and they said it was Lykinplantus (sp). It looks like psorisis to me, scaely, flakey and was red and itchy. Then they gave me ointment for it, and now it is turned brown, but is no longer red and not much itch.
    My question, should I tell my doctor that I have this. Would/could it be possible that this could affect a pap?

Understand that I have never, ever had a skin condition, and nothing is in my family line. All of a sudden about two years ago I broke out with this red itching, and it progress from there.

If not being too personal, what do they say your skin condition is???

Thanks so much for everything
    I have no idea. My husband gets a red rash looking thing on his neck, chest, stomach, bach and groin. It's some sort of fungus i guess, but he can't transmit it and his identical twin has it also. and certaint hings like alcohol and soda aggravate it more. it doesn't bother him much.

My skin problem is completely genetic, neither of my parents had it but it somehow mutated. It is extremely rare and it affects all the outer layers of my skin including my nails and teeth. its called ectodermal dysplasia and the one I have specifically is called hay wells syndrome. There's only like 9 of us in the US, CAN and UK with that exact type. I have a lot of trouble healing beacuse of it, I've had an open since birth that will not heal infact. So if I ever need a leep or something, that scares me. I heal far better now than I did even 4 years ago because my health is a lot better. but it still makes me very paranoid if my ascus or mild dysplasia ever progresses. and thats partly why they can't determine whether the ascus is from the hpv or is how my cells are since i've been ascus from my first real pap on. and when i had biopsies done on other parts of my body to test my skin, 2 of them came back normal and 2 came back abnormal. cause they were thinking of doing skin grafts. but i chose not to because i'd already had 5 done with horrible results. but the funniest thing about my skin, is that looks wise it looks very nice (well except where they took skin grafts) and i get compliments all the time. I'm always thinking yeah if you only knew... lol

sorry for such a long winded post lol.

Old 09-13-2007, 04:13 PM   #11
    wondering27
    (female)

wondering27 HB User
    Question After leep....now what happens?? more surgery??

Hi first off I am totally new to this website, so hopefully i am doing everything correctly.

Okay here's my question(s):
    I had a leep procedure and waiting to see the gyno again for a follow up pap. My question is what if my pap comes back normal... can my partner and I have sex without condoms?(b.c. we were told that we both have it obviously and we should wear condoms) Or will that just send me right back to surgery? Do people always have to wear condoms from that point on? What if you are trying to conceive?

Also, what if the pap comes back and I still have hpv..then what? more surgery? How much can they keep cutting out? Or should a person get the shots? Will that really help??

I guess these questions could be asked to my gyno, but we keep moving state-to-state and it's hard to just start talking and telling my whole life story over and over again to strangers.

Any advice or comments are welcomed! Thanks

Closed Thread