It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Seeking Ideas on Burning Sensation; Chest/Upper Back Area

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-07-2007, 07:58 AM   #16
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
    Re: Seeking Ideas on Burning Sensation; Chest/Upper Back Area

hi sammy,have you actually had an MRI done yet on your c and upper T spine?i am willing to bet,given your symptoms that you DO have some issues up there that are creating all of the strange things you are feeling.it would make sense,really.i too am amazed that your doc got you in to see a NS that quickly,it IS very fast compared to the like one to three month wait that the majority of patients have to wait just for that initial appt.hopefully this NS will be able to help you.but an MRI with contrast,if you have not actually had one yet will most likely show something up there,just given your symptomology.it almost sounds as tho you also may have some level of sympathetic involvement too.this would most likely(if true) place your main problem somewhere down at the c 7 T 1 area of your spine(tho that SNS chain actually runs the length of your column,but the main 'junction" area is at where the C meets the T)?i guess you will just have to wait and see.please let us know what you find out.good luck,marcia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2007, 08:42 AM   #17
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

[QUOTE=feelbad;3141348]hi sammy,have you actually had an MRI done yet on your c and upper T spine?i am willing to bet,given your symptoms that you DO have some issues up there that are creating all of the strange things you are feeling.it would make sense,really.i too am amazed that your doc got you in to see a NS that quickly,it IS very fast compared to the like one to three month wait that the majority of patients have to wait just for that initial appt.hopefully this NS will be able to help you.but an MRI with contrast,if you have not actually had one yet will most likely show something up there,just given your symptomology.it almost sounds as tho you also may have some level of sympathetic involvement too.this would most likely(if true) place your main problem somewhere down at the c 7 T 1 area of your spine(tho that SNS chain actually runs the length of your column,but the main 'junction" area is at where the C meets the T)?i guess you will just have to wait and see.please let us know what you find out.good luck,marcia[/QUOTE]

Marcia, just got in from nuero surgeon,had MRI June 1 showed some problems, bone loss and minor disc problems, not enough to cause these problems they say, surgeon gave maybe 2 minutes of his time, more tests, bone scan on shoulder and EMG. not original nuero Doc wanted me to see, felt nuero would repeat MRI says changes can occur rapidly,no repeat mentioned, MRI with contrast, is that differant then a regular MRI? Don't want to be out of work long. Doc say shoulder problems can also cause alot of these symptoms in chest area. Of course can't wait to get rid of this pain. Don't get why so much pain in other area's unless it is do to swelling, and yes I am very lucky yo have gotten in, keep in mind though a good Nuero may be worth the wait. Hopefully this one will be better next visit. Anything paticular help your pain and discomfort? let me know Sammy

Old 08-08-2007, 06:10 PM   #18
    chablis3
    Veteran
    (female)

chablis3 HB User

Hi Sammy, Marcia, and all. Just dropped in to check the new postings. Sammy, you sure sound like you have lots and lots of pain, and I am sorry to hear that. Just the pain I have around the middle chest area and back, as well as now my calves is driving me crazy! I especially feel bad when I get up in the morning. Like you, Sammy, I have gone to this doctor and that, had many tests, and everything turned out ok. Just some disc deteriation, and a bit if arthritus. My family doc sent me to a neurologist, and that is when I started having injections; however, he really didn't give me a definite cause of my pain.....just suggested that it might be some nerve pain going on also. I am going to take Marcia's advice and eventually seek out a neurosurgeon. I think Marcia is quite intelligent when it comes to these kind of things. I am going to a Rheumotoligist next month to see about the fibermyalgia thing and to see what he has to say....might as well give him a try! Might also see about having an MRI of my back area....I actually forget if I had one or not of that area with all the other tests I have had.

Take care, Sammy, and I wish you luck. I use the old "ice pack" trick when I get to hurting too bad. I shift it here and there; actually I should get 3 or 4 others to use with all my sore spots!!

My best to eveyone and take care.

Judy

Old 08-08-2007, 07:39 PM   #19
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

[QUOTE=chablis3;3144668]Hi Sammy, Marcia, and all. Just dropped in to check the new postings. Sammy, you sure sound like you have lots and lots of pain, and I am sorry to hear that. Just the pain I have around the middle chest area and back, as well as now my calves is driving me crazy! I especially feel bad when I get up in the morning. Like you, Sammy, I have gone to this doctor and that, had many tests, and everything turned out ok. Just some disc deteriation, and a bit if arthritus. My family doc sent me to a neurologist, and that is when I started having injections; however, he really didn't give me a definite cause of my pain.....just suggested that it might be some nerve pain going on also. I am going to take Marcia's advice and eventually seek out a neurosurgeon. I think Marcia is quite intelligent when it comes to these kind of things. I am going to a Rheumotoligist next month to see about the fibermyalgia thing and to see what he has to say....might as well give him a try! Might also see about having an MRI of my back area....I actually forget if I had one or not of that area with all the other tests I have had.

Take care, Sammy, and I wish you luck. I use the old "ice pack" trick when I get to hurting too bad. I shift it here and there; actually I should get 3 or 4 others to use with all my sore spots!!

My best to eveyone and take care.

Judy[/QUOTE]

Judy, I just wore out an ice pack, sprung a leak, need some new ones, I rotate between moist heat & ice, doc say moist heat but many times I prefer the ice. one night not long ago I sat up in the bed with moist heat on one area and ice on another, I could not move and fearing I would dislogde on, I actually got a good laugh out of that. I hate the mornings that is the worst time the day, can't wait to get them over with, had a pretty decent one today, got so excited I started 3 things at once and had to stop and make myself do one at a time, never thought I would be excited or trying to organize a closet! You have pretty much been told same as me, I am going for test ordered by neuro. monday. I would just be happy to know what the heck is wrong. Took pain med before I even got out of bed today, try it again tommorrow. Anyone hear know anything about Lyrica? Doc put me on it and not hearing such good things? Have The MRI done if you can, and when you get a chance let me know what other tests you have had, we sound as if we may have at least some simularities, thanks, Marcia does indeed sound pretty smart, so Marcia anytime you want to be buddies I like getting good advice. Sammy

Old 08-09-2007, 09:10 AM   #20
    CHKUEHN1
    (female)

CHKUEHN1 HB User

Hello everyone!
    I just had to respond to this topic because this is the first place I have found someone who is experiencing the exact same upper back problems. (I have been looking for more than 3 yrs for an explanation for my symptoms)
    I have had 3 MRI's of my C & T spines and of course it does depend on the Radiologist interpreting the report. I am a Radiologic Technologist so that is not news to me.
    My first MRI (2004) showed a focal left paracentral HNP at T7 which was touching the cord; and mild disc bulging at C5-6 & C6-7.
    My second MRI (2005) showed left sided disc protrusion & osteophyte spurring at T7-8 with effacement of the left anterior aspect of the thecal sac. C5-6 central protruding disc w/ mild effacement of the thecal sac. C6-7 protruding disc w/ mild effacement of the thecal sac & mild stenosis.
    My most recent MRI was in June of this yr. The HNP at T6-7 unchanged. Small anterior osteophyte formation at multiple levels of T spine. C5-6 mild to moderate posterior central disc protrusion w/ mild stenosis. The disc protrusion may contact the anterior aspect of the spinal floor.
    Before my first MRI, I was sent to a cardiologist and had a full cardiac work-up because of my symptoms. Some of my tests were slightly abnormal so he suggested a heart cath. I declined because I really didnt believe it was heart related. I spoke to one of my Radiologists who recommended that I have an MRI. (which I did) Then I went to an orthopedic Dr who recommended that I have an epidural and also gave me a rx for Neurontin at bedtime to see if it would help with the burning, tingling & numbness I was feeling beneath my left breast. I decided against the epidural at that time. I have been on Neurontin for about 2 yrs now and cannot say that it has helped me at all. Last wk I went to a pain management Dr (who I know personally) and he did a Thoracic epidural. He also suggested that I stop the Neurontin and try Lyrica. I started the Lyrica 1 wk ago and started weaning myself off of the Neurontin but I cannot tell that the epidural helped at all. I went back to him yesterday and he said I had terrible muscle spasms all the way down the left side of my back. He didnt think I should do another epidural. He did about 20 trigger point injections. He said if I havent noticed any difference with the Lyrica yet that its probably not going to help so I am going to stop taking both and see what happens. (I have swelling & wt gain with both) He gave me Norflex (muscle relaxer) and Lidoderm patches to try. He also noted that I have mild scholiosis and thought maybe a chiropractor could help alittle. He recommended that I have deep tissue massage therapy and try to be aware of my posture. I do notice that I tend to slump my shoulders forward and thats when I will have the most symptoms. I hope & pray that somehow I can find some relief. Maybe the muscle spasms are compressing & inflaming the nerves which are giving me the symptoms in my chest and rib area. The epidural gave me some terrible hot flashes that still havent quite gone away. I also had some unexplainable low blood sugar issues for a few days after the epidural. I knew the steroid can cause blood sugar to be elevated in diabetics but never heard of it causing it to drop.
    The Dr that I work for has been giving me vicoprofen to take as needed when I just cant stand it anymore. When I take it, thats about the only time I feel alittle relief.
    Anyway, it really is helpful to know that Im not alone with these crazy symptoms. Hopefully, one of us will be able find the answer for us all. (sorry so long)

Last edited by CHKUEHN1; 08-09-2007 at 09:14 AM.

Old 08-09-2007, 01:35 PM   #21
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

[QUOTE=CHKUEHN1;3145840]Hello everyone!
    I just had to respond to this topic because this is the first place I have found someone who is experiencing the exact same upper back problems. (I have been looking for more than 3 yrs for an explanation for my symptoms)
    I have had 3 MRI's of my C & T spines and of course it does depend on the Radiologist interpreting the report. I am a Radiologic Technologist so that is not news to me.
    My first MRI (2004) showed a focal left paracentral HNP at T7 which was touching the cord; and mild disc bulging at C5-6 & C6-7.
    My second MRI (2005) showed left sided disc protrusion & osteophyte spurring at T7-8 with effacement of the left anterior aspect of the thecal sac. C5-6 central protruding disc w/ mild effacement of the thecal sac. C6-7 protruding disc w/ mild effacement of the thecal sac & mild stenosis.
    My most recent MRI was in June of this yr. The HNP at T6-7 unchanged. Small anterior osteophyte formation at multiple levels of T spine. C5-6 mild to moderate posterior central disc protrusion w/ mild stenosis. The disc protrusion may contact the anterior aspect of the spinal floor.
    Before my first MRI, I was sent to a cardiologist and had a full cardiac work-up because of my symptoms. Some of my tests were slightly abnormal so he suggested a heart cath. I declined because I really didnt believe it was heart related. I spoke to one of my Radiologists who recommended that I have an MRI. (which I did) Then I went to an orthopedic Dr who recommended that I have an epidural and also gave me a rx for Neurontin at bedtime to see if it would help with the burning, tingling & numbness I was feeling beneath my left breast. I decided against the epidural at that time. I have been on Neurontin for about 2 yrs now and cannot say that it has helped me at all. Last wk I went to a pain management Dr (who I know personally) and he did a Thoracic epidural. He also suggested that I stop the Neurontin and try Lyrica. I started the Lyrica 1 wk ago and started weaning myself off of the Neurontin but I cannot tell that the epidural helped at all. I went back to him yesterday and he said I had terrible muscle spasms all the way down the left side of my back. He didnt think I should do another epidural. He did about 20 trigger point injections. He said if I havent noticed any difference with the Lyrica yet that its probably not going to help so I am going to stop taking both and see what happens. (I have swelling & wt gain with both) He gave me Norflex (muscle relaxer) and Lidoderm patches to try. He also noted that I have mild scholiosis and thought maybe a chiropractor could help alittle. He recommended that I have deep tissue massage therapy and try to be aware of my posture. I do notice that I tend to slump my shoulders forward and thats when I will have the most symptoms. I hope & pray that somehow I can find some relief. Maybe the muscle spasms are compressing & inflaming the nerves which are giving me the symptoms in my chest and rib area. The epidural gave me some terrible hot flashes that still havent quite gone away. I also had some unexplainable low blood sugar issues for a few days after the epidural. I knew the steroid can cause blood sugar to be elevated in diabetics but never heard of it causing it to drop.
    The Dr that I work for has been giving me vicoprofen to take as needed when I just cant stand it anymore. When I take it, thats about the only time I feel alittle relief.
    Anyway, it really is helpful to know that Im not alone with these crazy symptoms. Hopefully, one of us will be able find the answer for us all. (sorry so long)[/QUOTE]

CHUEHN1,(wrote earlier must not have gone through) OMG, sure sounds alot like my symptoms, dont know if you seen the MRI results I posted at one time,so here is a brief decscription:Osteopenic changes noted in thoracic spine. C5-6Mild broad based posterior disc protrusion without compromising exiting nerve roots, C6-7 Mild hypertrophic changes & minimal disc bulge.Degenerative disc disease and spondylosis also noted in the cervical spine. Do you know if MRI reports specify how for down or what part of spine included in test? This only mentions the T1&2, also it states Axial images obtained from the levels of C3-4, down through C7-T1. So was any images done of C1 & 2, really confused never even thought about it until I read your message. yours seems to show more than mine, although my sister was in pain for 4yrs. had MRI in beginning of problem showed nothing major,much later (years when her problem appeared on another MRI), big problems to, go figure. I am disgusted, going for EMG monday,although Neuro says not expecting anything to show, bone scan of shoulder area tommorrow. Looking into shoulder, which does not explain other symptoms, My chest area,rib(under breast) arm and shoulder,upper back really hurt, can go up neck all the way to hip,all left side. Mostly upper Left torso, numbness & tingling in hand,fingers, sometimes left foot (burning feeling, or hot spots) ,left leg can feel heavy & so forth, pain really starting to radiate in upper to mid back. No bra since May. Went through whole cardiac work up, including heart cath(when it started (approx:21/2 years ago) & again last week. When I moved in my new house,I know for a fact I hurt myself moving in and continued to get bad through work,I am a home healthcare aide,used to do some major lifting & I am not big. Been to so many docs. so many opinions right down to being told to get psych, help, of course now that it is out of control new Docs office paying aliitle attention, I am not really blaming them I just feel they need to listen alittle better. PT pointed out most of problems, totally swelled in neck, shoulder, major & minor Pec. Area & under ribs. Can't tell you how many docs. thought at first it was shingles., interesting thing when ever sugar tested lately in office or ER it was up, said it could be from pain, you ever have yours checked before all this, even though I was on steriod pack, mine was off before that. I will tell you just discovered while I was on steroids still in pain, went in got and extra injection of steroids in hip, along with script for low dose of oxycodone, felt better for couple days, soon as steroid finished (same day) muscle spasms like crazy and pain, has to be the inflammation, doc. just started me on lyrica couple days ago, I also tried the lid.patch,did nothin. Pain really radiating in upper and mid back lately. Off work for now & really worried about my job. First visit with Neuro, seen him all of 2 minutes, never even asked hardly any questions, not even for PT report, not real encougaed there, plan on trying to corner him next appointment. did not even want notes my doc. told me to make (of symptoms & take to him). by the way my cardiac test were slightly abnormal to, mentioned once again maybe pain, be careful it is not your heart, all these meds. & Pain can't possably be good for it, stress to. I am praying for results to. Cannot bare it much longer ruining my life. PT was only one who said with those symptoms has to something Neuro., he sent me back to doc, because could not control swelling & pain, can barely lift my arm most mornings because of shoulder hurts so much, pulls chest area and it is off and running, heart starts racing if not controlled and send my vitals rith off chart. Any of this sound familair to you? PLEASE write back, maybe we can compare & see what happens. Sammy

Old 08-09-2007, 02:38 PM   #22
    chablis3
    Veteran
    (female)

chablis3 HB User

[QUOTE=sammyo1;3144854]Judy, I just wore out an ice pack, sprung a leak, need some new ones, I rotate between moist heat & ice, doc say moist heat but many times I prefer the ice. one night not long ago I sat up in the bed with moist heat on one area and ice on another, I could not move and fearing I would dislogde on, I actually got a good laugh out of that. I hate the mornings that is the worst time the day, can't wait to get them over with, had a pretty decent one today, got so excited I started 3 things at once and had to stop and make myself do one at a time, never thought I would be excited or trying to organize a closet! You have pretty much been told same as me, I am going for test ordered by neuro. monday. I would just be happy to know what the heck is wrong. Took pain med before I even got out of bed today, try it again tommorrow. Anyone hear know anything about Lyrica? Doc put me on it and not hearing such good things? Have The MRI done if you can, and when you get a chance let me know what other tests you have had, we sound as if we may have at least some simularities, thanks, Marcia does indeed sound pretty smart, so Marcia anytime you want to be buddies I like getting good advice. Sammy[/QUOTE]
    sammy, you sound like me with the ice packs and the heat! Also to the fact that when you feel a bit better, you start overdoing it...like 3 chores at once! My pain seems to move around; from under the breast area, around to the middle back, then lower back, as well as the calf pain. Never stays in one place! I did try Lyrica as suggested by my neuroligist, but only took about 3 of them as they made me very dizzy. I don't like that feeling; it scares me. Am now trying some natural stuff I sent away for; I figured it can't hurt. Also going to go to a Spine and Pain Clinic next week where they do tests to see about blood flow in legs, etc. Maybe I will find something out at this place. Good luck to you on your upcoming test. Please let everyone know the results.

Judy

Old 08-09-2007, 03:05 PM   #23
    chablis3
    Veteran
    (female)

chablis3 HB User

CHKUEHN...sounds like you have had so many tests and tried so many things; the darn shame of it all is that none of us seem to have found any results. It is amazing how we all seem to have been through many of the same things, same meds, same injections.....with no results. I just cannot imagine what we are doing wrong!!! You mentioned muscle spasms, and I am thinking that I might have the same thing happening. At night I wake up with the feeling that my heart is jumping around, and I have the burning in the middle of my chest when this happens. Perhaps that is a combination of acid reflux happening along with a spasm. Seems like when I get up and take an anti-acid tablet, the burning goes away somewhat. I am trying to diagnose myself at this point. With me, I wonder if the pain in my back and legs has caused me to have acid reflux from the stress of the pain. Going for a colonoscopy and the test where they stick the scope down your throat next month to check into that. Takes forever to get in to see all these different doctors. I also had epidural injections as well as trigger point, both in the middle back area and neck area. I tolerated them well and did not have any hot flash feelings. Actually, the trigger point ones helped my neck problems and alleviated the strange numb head-achy feeling I was having somewhat. I have been having these injections for awhile now; going about every 4 months or so. The two injections I had in the middle back, spaced a few weeks apart, were for the pain around my middle area and legs, and these haven't done much so far. I guess our spines and nerves can do just about anything to us, causing so many different kinds of pain. The trick is finding out where, how and what to do about it! It is good to have a group of people offering suggestions and advice, and sharing experiences.

Take care and good luck.
    Judy

Old 08-09-2007, 05:34 PM   #24
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

[QUOTE=chablis3;3146552]CHKUEHN...sounds like you have had so many tests and tried so many things; the darn shame of it all is that none of us seem to have found any results. It is amazing how we all seem to have been through many of the same things, same meds, same injections.....with no results. I just cannot imagine what we are doing wrong!!! You mentioned muscle spasms, and I am thinking that I might have the same thing happening. At night I wake up with the feeling that my heart is jumping around, and I have the burning in the middle of my chest when this happens. Perhaps that is a combination of acid reflux happening along with a spasm. Seems like when I get up and take an anti-acid tablet, the burning goes away somewhat. I am trying to diagnose myself at this point. With me, I wonder if the pain in my back and legs has caused me to have acid reflux from the stress of the pain. Going for a colonoscopy and the test where they stick the scope down your throat next month to check into that. Takes forever to get in to see all these different doctors. I also had epidural injections as well as trigger point, both in the middle back area and neck area. I tolerated them well and did not have any hot flash feelings. Actually, the trigger point ones helped my neck problems and alleviated the strange numb head-achy feeling I was having somewhat. I have been having these injections for awhile now; going about every 4 months or so. The two injections I had in the middle back, spaced a few weeks apart, were for the pain around my middle area and legs, and these haven't done much so far. I guess our spines and nerves can do just about anything to us, causing so many different kinds of pain. The trick is finding out where, how and what to do about it! It is good to have a group of people offering suggestions and advice, and sharing experiences.

Take care and good luck.
    Judy[/QUOTE]

Judy, just caught that part about waking up with burning, feels like like heart jumping around bi, I have had that also, except my heart will race like crazy, I have acic reflux, I try real hard not to eat at night, but yes feels like muscles are in spasm to, I hurry up and grab the rolaid compleate, scary feeling huh, wakes you up right out of your sleep. My sister in law was in the hospital for cancer and she had terrible gas pain (sometimes a good belch helps relieve some pressure) she said it got so bad she doubled over, they gave her gigerale(canada dry or vernours) worked like a charm she said. I am going to get some to keep in house, also said the hospital gave her gingerale mixed with prune juice to go to the bathroom, worked to, said taste ok, figure all these people on meds. might like that little suggestion.
    Sammy

Old 08-09-2007, 06:59 PM   #25
    CHKUEHN1
    (female)

CHKUEHN1 HB User

When I am having severe pain, my heart races too and I feel really anxious like I am having an anxiety attack. A couple of months ago I started having chest pains at work. My blood pressure was high, I was having palpitations and my heart rate was high. The Dr I work for sent me to the ER. After laying down for awhile, everything returned to normal though they still wanted to admit me because my heart rate was still alittle high and because I have a very strong family history of heart disease. I refused to be admitted because I still didnt think it was my heart. I was scheduled to see the Cardiologist again and had the full cardiac work-up repeated. This time I was sent for a 64 slice CT of my heart which is about as accurate as a heart cath. It was all normal. I am a smoker and that is probably making things worse.
    Since I work in a Dr's office, I tend to try to diagnose myself. Its so hard for me to take off work and when you have children, vacation days are usually spent with sick kids, etc. I know I have made things worse by neglecting myself. We recently built a house and my husband & I did all of the finishing work ourselves. We did all of the moving and are presently in the middle of a huge landscaping project. I kept reading that strengthening your back muscles would help. At age 44, I dont think my back has ever been any stronger than right now. Now the pain mgmt Dr is telling me to stop doing all of the laborous work I have been involved with.
    As for the blood sugar issue, I have occasionally had a drop in my blood sugar when I was skipping meals, etc. But nothing on a regular basis.
    I believe bad posture makes my upper back hurt worse. He told me to work on keeping my shoulders pulled back but then I feel like I am pushing my chest out. He said I especially need to be aware of my posture when I am sitting at a desk, driving, etc. I have noticed that it doesnt bother me as much in the morning but intensifies as the day goes on. Laying flat on a hard surface helps me too. The pain I have starts just below the bottom of my shoulder blades and radiates around my left side (radicular neuropathy) in a spiraling pattern to my rib area beneath my left breast.
    According to most of the Drs I have talked to, you cannot read too much into MRI reports. They are not 100% accurate and it is common to have nerve issues and it not show on the MRI. It should only be used as a piece of a puzzle to diagnose your problem. Your symptoms should give the most information. An MRI of the C spine should include all cervical vertebrae down to the first couple of thoracic vertebrae. T-spine should include the last of the cervical down to L1-2. etc. As I said, you really cant put too much emphasis on the report. My C spine MRI sounds the worst but I am not having pain there at this time.

~Cindy~

Old 08-09-2007, 08:24 PM   #26
    MKA290
    (male)

MKA290 HB User

Ch Kuehn- my problems sound nearly identical to yours as well. I have a herniated disc at c5c6 and c6c7 as well as t8t9. Neurontin did nothing for me except make me gain 30 extra pounds. I have pain in different parts of my chest at different times. My ribs also hurt sometimes when I lightly touch them. My chest surgeon says my ribheads are not dislocated after a ct scan. My pain management doctor says my ribheads are dislocated after touching my chest. I have seen spine surgeons who do not know whats causing the pain. It turns out the spine surgeons who I have seen, big names I may add, are old time clowns who are fusion guys and have very little experience in the thoracic area. When I asked them about their experience in # of thoracic surgeries they get insulted. Turns out very few in US are proficient in thoracic area which is why we cant get straight answers. I have an appointment this month with a thoracic expert at *** and several others in phoenix, pittsburg and boston. I am insisting all these thoracic guys also consult simultaneously with a chest guy so we can get a more accurate diagnosis. I will be relentless and find a doctor who cares and gives straight accurate information. Then I will pass it on to you folks so we can get cured and forget about the schmuck doctors who do not know what they are talking about which seems to be the majority.

Old 08-10-2007, 04:44 AM   #27
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

[QUOTE=CHKUEHN1;3146987]When I am having severe pain, my heart races too and I feel really anxious like I am having an anxiety attack. A couple of months ago I started having chest pains at work. My blood pressure was high, I was having palpitations and my heart rate was high. The Dr I work for sent me to the ER. After laying down for awhile, everything returned to normal though they still wanted to admit me because my heart rate was still alittle high and because I have a very strong family history of heart disease. I refused to be admitted because I still didnt think it was my heart. I was scheduled to see the Cardiologist again and had the full cardiac work-up repeated. This time I was sent for a 64 slice CT of my heart which is about as accurate as a heart cath. It was all normal. I am a smoker and that is probably making things worse.
    Since I work in a Dr's office, I tend to try to diagnose myself. Its so hard for me to take off work and when you have children, vacation days are usually spent with sick kids, etc. I know I have made things worse by neglecting myself. We recently built a house and my husband & I did all of the finishing work ourselves. We did all of the moving and are presently in the middle of a huge landscaping project. I kept reading that strengthening your back muscles would help. At age 44, I dont think my back has ever been any stronger than right now. Now the pain mgmt Dr is telling me to stop doing all of the laborous work I have been involved with.
    As for the blood sugar issue, I have occasionally had a drop in my blood sugar when I was skipping meals, etc. But nothing on a regular basis.
    I believe bad posture makes my upper back hurt worse. He told me to work on keeping my shoulders pulled back but then I feel like I am pushing my chest out. He said I especially need to be aware of my posture when I am sitting at a desk, driving, etc. I have noticed that it doesnt bother me as much in the morning but intensifies as the day goes on. Laying flat on a hard surface helps me too. The pain I have starts just below the bottom of my shoulder blades and radiates around my left side (radicular neuropathy) in a spiraling pattern to my rib area beneath my left breast.
    According to most of the Drs I have talked to, you cannot read too much into MRI reports. They are not 100% accurate and it is common to have nerve issues and it not show on the MRI. It should only be used as a piece of a puzzle to diagnose your problem. Your symptoms should give the most information. An MRI of the C spine should include all cervical vertebrae down to the first couple of thoracic vertebrae. T-spine should include the last of the cervical down to L1-2. etc. As I said, you really cant put too much emphasis on the report. My C spine MRI sounds the worst but I am not having pain there at this time.

~Cindy~[/QUOTE]

Cindy, My Neuro gave me no time to tell or ask anything, hopefully next appointment. I don't get why he would not ask for pt reports or anything. Maybe doing his own evaluation still seems weird. My doc says if he cannot explain pain after test it is pain management for me. That is not real encouraging about the dependancy of the MRI reports. I don't want to live years in this kind of pain. I am 42, but feel 80 somedays. Do you know if anything may have triggered your pain, took me awhile to figure it out. As for the heart thing ditto, all the way down to family history. My pain would come & go until this May. I know the day I went for MRI was the best day I had,funny huh.I wonder if things can shift. weird question but weird symptoms. Does pain management help for you? What other tests have you had? Real bad yesturday, I know there is the inflammtion there, and since coming off anti inflammatories the pain and tinlgling Ect.. gets worse. Feel a little guilty saying this but I am glad others have some of these symptoms maybe we can put some little pieces together, maybe not but beats feeling like its just you with all these strange symptoms. First test today, talk to you soon, been on other boards to just seeing about other symptoms. Sammy

Last edited by sammyo1; 08-10-2007 at 03:29 PM.

Old 08-10-2007, 05:16 AM   #28
    MKA290
    (male)

MKA290 HB User

We all have similar conditions. There has got to be a physiological explanation for our pain. We are not all nuts nor are we hypochondriacs. We have real similar pains that doctors cannot figure out because there are not a heckuva lot of specialists in this pain area.

Old 08-10-2007, 05:51 AM   #29
    CHKUEHN1
    (female)

CHKUEHN1 HB User

[QUOTE=sammyo1;3147491]Cindy, I know I ask you this & you may not know , but do they list on MRI report from the they sart the test & finish such as C1thru L1 ect...
    My Neuro gave me no time to tell or ask anything, hopefully next appointment. I don't get why he would not ask for pt reports or anything. Maybe doing his own evaluation still seems weird. My doc says if he cannot explain pain after test it is pain management for me. That is not real encouraging about the dependancy of the MRI reports. I don't want to live years in this kind of pain. I am 42, but feel 80 somedays. Do you know if anything may have triggered your pain, took me awhile to figure it out. As for the heart thing ditto, all the way down to family history. My pain would come & go until this May. I know the day I went for MRI was the best day I had,funny huh.I wonder if things can shift. weird question but weird symptoms. Does pain management help for you? What other tests have you had? Real bad yesturday, I know there is the inflammtion there, and since coming off anti inflammatories the pain and tinlgling Ect.. gets worse. Feel a little guilty saying this but I am glad others have some of these symptoms maybe we can put some little pieces together, maybe not but beats feeling like its just you with all these strange symptoms. First test today, talk to you soon, been on other boards to just seeing about other symptoms. Sammy[/QUOTE]

Sammy, I suppose it depends on the Radiologist reading the MRI. I think most will only mention the vertebrae with abnormalities. Then there is usually a general description like "no spinal canal stenosis, cord compression or abnormal enhancement following contrast."

I have found that anti-inflammatories do nothing for my pain. Vicoprofen will at least take the edge off.

I did not take the Neurontin or Lyrica last night and was awake almost all night. I seem to have alot of hot flashes when I dont take it for some odd reason. So I have that horrible anxious feeling this morning. Im going to try to go without it this weekend but if the symptoms get worse, I will restart it. At least then I would know that it is helping in some way.

Old 08-10-2007, 07:01 AM   #30
    Arthr Itis
    Inactive
    (male)

Arthr Itis HB User

Wow! I was beginning to think I was the only one with all these weird pains! First thing, for you people who are having heart burn problems at night, some of our meds are to be taken with food. I try to eat a light snack at the most a couple of hours before I take my night time drugs. Also and this sounds strange but try a teaspoon of cider vinegar for heartburn. I found that works! In 2003 I had a MRI of my C and T spine. It showed DDD and arthritis, nothing to cause any problems. I talked one of the docs into a Mylogram. It showed a herniated disc at C-7/T-1. When the neuro went in for fuse it he had to remove a bone spur in order to get to the disc. Needless to say I don't have a lot of confidense in MRI. Now I'm in the same boat as the rest of you. Doctors say it's just DDD and arthritis "live with it". The only doc that I've found that was honest about it said that he's seen a few of these cases and that I will spend the rest of my life trying to find out what is causing all these problems and never will. Good luck to all, Fred

Closed Thread