It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board

• Bruises and Bathroom issues????

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-11-2007, 06:29 PM   #1
    piobaire
    (female)

piobaire HB User
    Bruises and Bathroom issues????

Okay so I seem to have two different issues that I havent seem specifically addressed before and I am wondering if it could be due to the Lyme disease....

1) Every 4 weeks or so I develop bruises all over my legs and then they fade. My platelet count has been slowly dropping and my white count has be slightly elevated since I was bitten last year....might have something to do with it??

2) I am having bathroom issues...I keep thinking I have a urinary infection. I always feel like I have to go but cant or it hurts but this too comes every 4 weeks or so

Does anyone else have these issues???

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2007, 01:25 PM   #2
    Aquaticgirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Aquaticgirl HB User
    Re: Bruises and Bathroom issues????

I used to get the thing where I have to go to the bathroom all the time and nothing would come out. I went to a urologist and got an ultra sound of my bladder and kidneys, but that came back normal. So, I think that is Lyme. It is possible that you have a urinary tract infection or something else in addition to Lyme. Good luck! I hope that you find answers and relief soon!

Old 08-12-2007, 04:57 PM   #3
    6Blues
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

6Blues HB User6Blues HB User6Blues HB User

Hi piobaire.

I don't have the bathroom issues, but I can sure related to the bruise marks.

Even though I tested negative for Bartonella, my LLMD suspected it had it. She prescribed Levaquin as an experiment, 750 mg per day.

I had been an oral anibiotics for about 1 year and a half before I went on Levaquin.

After 12 weeks of Levaquin I noticed some dramatic changes: bruise marks that came and went every 4 weeks, foot pain, a bulls-eye rash behind my left ankle, and more irritable and weepy.

This came and went about every 4 weeks - which is a good thing!

I am not a doctor ... but here's some things I've learned over the years.

Some antibiotics kill bacteria during cell reporduction. Some bacteria have short life spans, maybe a few hours, like Streptococcus. That's why 10 days of antibiotics will kill them all.

Lyme bacteria have long life cycles. I've read up to 4 weeks!! Stupid long-life bugs.

So a person under treatment for Lyme and its co-infections can notice a cycle about 3 to 4 weeks where the antibiotics are killing the little buggers when they are reproducing. It is called a Herx reaction.

It's a documented process, and its named after the doctors who first noticed it, but I can't remember their full names.

So try to think of the bruises as good things. It means the medicine is working!

I woke up this morning with a few of my own. I have small bruise spots on both my legs and two on my right arm. They can be purple, red-ish, but they don't hurt when I press on them, so I think they are the death throws of the stupid bacteria.

It is certainly unsettling for me to see such spots come and go! I try to remember that with each 4 week cycle, I am killing those darned bacteria.

Here's the really good news. After about 9 months on Levaquin, my brain came back! I am able to think and talk and sometimes remember things! It feels so good.

Hang in there! And good luck with the bathroom issue. You may want to tell your doctor about it.

Peace and health to you.
    Mickie

Old 08-12-2007, 10:39 PM   #4
    IL_gal
    (female)

IL_gal HB User

I had the bathroom thing too when I first started my Doxycycline. I thought it was a reaction to the antibiotic and called the doc who told me it was probably a bladder infection. It went away after about a week. I think it was the Lyme die off that caused the infection as it was leaving my body. Just my own theory!

Old 08-14-2007, 06:25 PM   #5
    TINUVIEL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

TINUVIEL HB User

Hi,

Bladder and urinary issues are extremely common with Lyme. One doctor informed me that of the patient he sees who present with these symptoms, one third turn out to be Lyme infected.

Lyme in the bladder is so common that a test, the Lyme Dot Assay, has been created to detect the dead organisms in the urine after an antibiotic challenge.

Old 08-16-2007, 04:24 AM   #6
    drs
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

drs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB User

I was reading about this subject and wondering this. Antibiotics cause yeast overgrowths in the body. Along with these yeast infections you can get a lot of symptoms. Here is what I found. Sounds like it may answer a few of your questions.

General Symptoms
    Fatigue and a sense of being "ill" and "drained" are the dominant symptoms. These are often accompanied by irritability, difficulty in concentration, slow mentally , in coordination, and vague feelings of being "spaced-out." Excessive lethargy may lead to a sense of drowsiness.

Musculoskeletal Symptoms
    Vague muscle aches, muscular weakness, pain with or without swelling in multiple joints, and tightness in chest wall.

Gastrointestinal Symptoms
    Abdominal cramps, bloating, excessive belching, abdominal distention, constipation with bouts of diarrhea, excessive mucus in stool and rectal itching. (when I bloat I have trouble urinating too, a constant feeling of pressure with out any relief. IE.. can't go even when I feel I have to.)

Ear, Nose, and Eye Symptoms
    Sore throat or scratchiness in throat, dry mouth, white coating on tongue and in other areas of mouth (thrush), bad breath, nasal itching, congestion and drip, recurrent sore throats, recurrent episodes of cough or bronchitis, recurrent infections or fluid in the ears, itchiness, burning or tears in eyes, and difficulty with hearing.

Genitourinary Symptoms
    Frequent episodes of bladder infection, urinary urgency and frequency, burning on urination, frequent episodes of virginities, vaginal discharge or itching.

I thought it was worth posting this information. Sounds like a yeast factor in the previous posts.

Closed Thread