It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board

• Odd low blood pressure

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-22-2007, 09:51 AM   #1
    cossette2
    Veteran
    (female)

cossette2 HB User
    Question Odd low blood pressure

Am I an anomaly? My blood pressure is 123/47...pulse 79. The systolic # (123) is normal and yet the diastolic number is really low (47). I understand that normal diastolic numbers are usually between 60 and 80.

I have been on a glandular adrenal supplement for 2 years which has basically had no effect at all on my blood pressure. At the time I started the supplement it was about 115/50.

Any suggestions why this would be and should I be concerned?
    Thanks much.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2007, 02:25 PM   #2
    k_c_lady
    (female)

k_c_lady HB User
    Re: Odd low blood pressure

Mine is always low! Every time I go to the hospital, they keep me longer b/c of my low BP.

I am sorry, I don't have any helpful advice!

Kiesha

Old 08-22-2007, 03:06 PM   #3
    rumpled
    Veteran
    (female)

rumpled HB User

Since you are posting in the addison's thread... you perhaps need a combo of florinef which would replace the mineral corticosteroid a normal adrenal gland would produce to keep blood pressure up as well as salt as addison's is a salt wasting disease and you need more than most people in order to keep your bp up and your body's electrolytes in normal ranges.

I like sea salt or kosher and add it to my food as it tastes good and I need it. I also take a daily salt tablet to make sure I have enough as my BP is low. Just a caution on the florinef - ease up slowly or you will fluff up.

Old 08-22-2007, 06:15 PM   #4
    cloud2
    (male)

cloud2 HB User

That very low diastolic is odd indeed. That makes for a relatively high pulse pressure (systolic minus diastolic - was 65, now closing in on 80), but I'm not sure the cautions against a high pulse pressure would pertain to these lower numbers. It would certainly be something to run by your Dr. What time of day are you taking it, and are you sitting, lying down or standing? Is your arm elevated when you take it? or down with your hand in your lap?

Old 08-23-2007, 04:45 PM   #5
    sammi2
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammi2 HB Usersammi2 HB Usersammi2 HB User

Mine is usually approx 130/60 & I don't have the energy to move. Have you tried a different BP cuff? What does your dr say? I would be concerned if mine was that low. Do you mind telling me which glandular supplement you have been using & has it helped? I tried Wilsons porcine but stopped because of side effects. Hope you're better soon.

Old 08-24-2007, 09:50 AM   #6
    cossette2
    Veteran
    (female)

cossette2 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloud2 View Post
    That very low diastolic is odd indeed. That makes for a relatively high pulse pressure (systolic minus diastolic - was 65, now closing in on 80), but I'm not sure the cautions against a high pulse pressure would pertain to these lower numbers. It would certainly be something to run by your Dr. What time of day are you taking it, and are you sitting, lying down or standing? Is your arm elevated when you take it? or down with your hand in your lap?
    Hi Cloud,
    Thanks very much for your reply. I just happen to be at the pharmacy earlier this week to fill my synthroid script and I took it there using their blood pressure 'kiosk'. I was sitting and it was around 11 a.m. I think or possibly early afternoon (I don't remember for sure....one of the casualties of low adrenals being poor memory.....groan).
    I hope to see my endo in Toronto in the fall and I can run that by him then. Other than that, all I have is a nurse practicioner (doctor shortage in our community) and I think it would be out of her level of expertise.
    However, I would appreciate any input you might have on this unusual bp Cloud, or any one else who might have seen this in anyone else.
    Thanks much again.

Old 01-01-2008, 06:52 PM   #7
    Melk86
    (female)

Melk86 HB User

the last my doctor checked a few days ago i was 60/40 which is normal for me. She doesn't know how I walk, but i guess it's common

Old 01-14-2008, 02:08 AM   #8
    sherryE57
    (female)

sherryE57 HB User
    Talking Re: Odd low blood pressure

Rumpled,
    When I was in the hospital they took my blood pressure laying,sitting,and standing. sitting was lower than laying and standing was 30 points lower than sitting.That is one reason we get light headed when we get up(for me anyway)Before Addison's my blood pressure was on the way up averageing about 140/90. But now it has blossomed. No one has said anything about salt tablets.I eat Fritos and have gained all the weight back that I lost(I didn't miss that 17 lbs!!!!!!!) Doesn't the cortisol and flourinef take care of the salt problems. I am suspoed to be on a heart healty diet for my heart and BP.They said do not take salt but I still crave it and Fritos has the right amount of salt for me.

Old 01-14-2008, 05:17 PM   #9
    rumpled
    Veteran
    (female)

rumpled HB User

Addison's disease pretty much means that the body has lost its ability to regulate salt = hence your cravings. Florinef helps replace aldosterone (it is a mineral corticosteroid) and will help hold on to it and keep the blood pressure up. Cortef replaces the cortisol that helps regulate the metabolism and respond to stress.

If you are doing well on fritos LOL so be it - but for those of us that are a bit fluffy, I take salt tablets. My cardiologist approves. You have to follow what your doctor says.

Old 01-15-2008, 11:12 AM   #10
    sfrazier11
    (female)

sfrazier11 HB User

My endo told me that my blood pressure needs to stay at least at 110/70. If it gets lower than that she wants me to contact her ASAP. I would bring up the low pressure with your doctor ASAP. As for the salt I was told to keep up with the salt since my body does not hold it now. Extra salt on the food is fine with me since I have always craved salt even before Addison's was diagnosed.

Last edited by sfrazier11; 01-15-2008 at 11:14 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 02-03-2008, 07:26 AM   #11
    kareng45
    (female)

kareng45 HB User
    Question Re: Odd low blood pressure

Hello, I too have Addion's and I have the low blood pressure and I also lost 58lb then my heart rate droped so low and stayed there till they put a pacemaker in. On my last vist to my Dr. which was on the 21st of Jan 08 my BP was 98/58 which was normal for me, however she wantes home health to come and take it. I also have several other health problems, if you have and feed back on this I would really be grateful. I feel lost most day's and like know one really knows just what to say or do around me. I think my family and friends think I'm just going to past out or go in my sleep at any time. lol. I don't really think that way myself, my Dr. said that I had this for such a long time till my body ajusted to it, but that it wasn't normal. She has now also told me not to drive I guess because of the low BP, I'm not really sure, I do have alot more than just Addison's but I feel as if I have to make the most of life and not just give in to the health problems. Help me if you can, thanks.

Closed Thread