It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board

• Change in 2 month old's stools

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-27-2007, 06:04 PM   #1
    baj406
    Veteran
    (female)

baj406 HB User
    Unhappy Change in 2 month old's stools

Hello everyone. I have a question. My son recently switched from a combination of expressed breast milk fortified w/Nutramigen to 22 calorie, over to ONLY Nutramigen mixed to 24 calorie. There are multiple reasons why, but that's not important. His stools have always been (even when he was on combination) pasty and yellowish. He got immunizations 6 days ago. He normally has 4 - 6 BMs a day, but the day of and the day following the shots he only had 1 each day. Yesterday hi BMs turned to an extremely dark shade of olive green (all of a sudden, NOT gradually) and they are the most rancid smell I've ever come across. I don't consider myself to have a weak stomach and its all I can do not to lose my lunch while I'm changing him. They also appear to be oily. My mom saw them and said they just looked watery to her, but I still think they look slimy. He also has a clear slimy coating on his tushie after EVERY BM. This has been going on for 2 days now, a total of 10 BMs. Only one has been different, and it was grainy, brown and claylike. It was still horrible smelling though. The only thing that the fact sheets on the shots said about stools was that they may cause diarrhea, but that's not exactly what this is. He's had diarrhea before and it was TOTALLY different. Oh, he's 9 weeks old. Any input would be appreciated. I just don't want to call the doctor if it really is from the immunizations. (Or maybe from being changed totally over to formula? But, I imagine if that were the case, when he was combination they would have been at least somewhat smelly. ) Okay, thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2007, 06:12 PM   #2
    neshee
    Inactive
    (female)

neshee HB User
    Re: Change in 2 month old's stools

Hello! My son is also on Nutramigen! He was also on a fortifier with BM, but developed a milk allergy and I couldn't nurse him at all any more. So, nutramigen was the answer (for now anyway). His stools changed drastically too and smell equally as horrible. If you read the ingredients...there is vegetable oil in it...pretty much one of the first (if not the first) ingredient. So, that may explain the oily stuff. My sons have been varied from green, yellow, and brownish and pasty, seedy and claylike. He also doesn't go as often and when he does, it really bothers him, and he strains and pushes and then it is explosive! He has also gotten a REALLY bad rash and has had it for over a week. I am not sure if it is from the formula or not, considering it is hypoallergenic. I hope this formula works for your son. My son is 10 weeks and was born at 31 weeks gestation. Good luck!

Old 08-27-2007, 06:21 PM   #3
    baj406
    Veteran
    (female)

baj406 HB User

Well, I can definitely sympathyze with the massive explosions. My little one wasn't quite as early as that. We opted to deliver him at 34 weeks due to unexplainable heart variables. It turned out to be the right decision, despite the issues going on now. I know the formula is working. He was vomiting and had a rash on his face. The rash is totally gone (replaced by baby acne, lol) and his vomiting is down to only about 3-5 times a week, instead of 3-5 times a DAY. It also doesn't come out his nose anymore. That makes us BOTH happy. I forgot to mention above that he's been running a low grade fever (around 100) ever since he got his shots. It went away for the day on Saturday and then came back, so I don't know if its from the shots or not. I have a lot of expressed BM stored in the freezer. I thought about putting him back on that for a day or so to see if his stools change back, but I'm leaning toward it not being from the formula, because we TOTALLY changed him over a week before his stools changed. Oh, you said your sons stools smell really bad also. Is it kind of a rotten egg smell, or no? His smell VERY strongly of rotten egg.

Last edited by baj406; 08-29-2007 at 02:16 PM.

Old 08-28-2007, 09:40 AM   #4
    neshee
    Inactive
    (female)

neshee HB User

No, not rotten eggs. It is more like a weird rotten veggie smell...which is just the change in formula. It sounds like this is just from the shots, but should have gone away within 48 hours. I would call your doc. My son was bleeding in his stool, and they "claim" it is from a milk allergy. We have been on the nutramigen for 2 weeks and let me tell you, it got better and now back to the same stuff. I am thinking it is NOT an allergy at all, but something else. I have placed a call to his gastro and waiting for her to call back. I am worried at about what else it could be. He has started vomiting more, and it comes out of his nose more often...and it is very mucousy. So, I am praying it isn't serious...but he seems okay otherwise. I am not sure what to do, but I have a docs appt tomorrow anyway. He is gaining weight well and we just have no clue as to what it may be. I wish you luck in finding the explaination. I just know that the Nutramigen is not working for my little guy if it is actually an allergy.

Old 08-28-2007, 05:06 PM   #5
    xinerevelle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

xinerevelle HB User

It could just be a virus that he picked up (usually from the doctor's waiting room -- lol!) -- vomiting and diarreha are common virus cues.

If it goes on for another day, I'd call the doctor and ask about it. I agree that immunizations shouldn't cause a problem for that many days...

Old 08-28-2007, 05:26 PM   #6
    baj406
    Veteran
    (female)

baj406 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by xinerevelle;3180***
    It could just be a virus that he picked up (usually from the doctor's waiting room -- lol!) -- vomiting and diarreha are common virus cues.
    I thought it was a virus too, but its just kept going. Anyway, the doctor has seperate well and sick child waiting rooms. He had a virus about 3 weeks ago and, except for the putrid smelling stools, the symptoms are QUITE similar. I don't want to let him get sick, but I don't want to be the overreacting new parent either. It doesn't seem to be getting worse, it's just staying the same. I'll just keep watching it I suppose.

Old 08-29-2007, 06:43 AM   #7
    srivera
    Veteran
    (male)

srivera HB User

Was he immunized for Rotovirus?

Old 08-29-2007, 11:45 AM   #8
    baj406
    Veteran
    (female)

baj406 HB User

Yes he was. He was immunized for HiB, DTaP, Polio, Streptococcus and Rotovirus. I don't think I got that many immunizations when I was a kid, lol. I just got DTP and Polio. Anyway, he saw the pediatric surgeon today. He pooped WHILE she was examining him. Poor her. Anyway, she said that she thought it was just from being changed to exclusively Nutramigen (No more breastmilk) and that it probably didn't warrant a call to the Pediatrician. Thank you all for your input. I feel a lot better now. :-)

Closed Thread