It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Anyone here try or on Lyrica?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-26-2007, 11:53 PM   #16
    marykelly7
    (female)

marykelly7 HB User
    Re: Anyone here try or on Lyrica?

I take Lyrica, so far so good. After too many years on narcotics I told the dr I was done and to get me off of them. Since Neurontin didn't work when I tried it years ago he put me on Lyrica. My dose is still low...started at 50mg once a day and have worked up to 75mg twice a day and climbing. The effects were negligible at first but are beginning to be seen now. I can't say I have any side effects per se...I'm on quite a few meds with a variety of side effects so it's hard to tell. I'm going to continue with the dosage increases and see how far it will take me. Anything is worth it if it will replace the narcs. Good luck to you with taking yours.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2007, 07:48 AM   #17
    sess
    (female)

sess HB User

Sammyo1,

If you are not comfortable about increasing your does of Lyrica wait until you are that is what I did. It took me a little while to get use to it also. As your dose is increased the nerve pain you are feeling will go done. I noticed that and if I forget to take the Lyrica, I start feeling the nerve pain. I really understand where you are coming from.

Have you ever been to a Chiropractor? If you haven't, that might help with your neck & headaces. I have four buldged discs in my neck. I do get headaches from time to time and also numb hands. The Chiro helps alot with that. The last thing I need is for my neck to start up.

I am still trying which route to go with my back. Fusion or Artificial Disc!
    Take care Sammyo1
    Sess

Marykelly7,

If you son't mind, what do you take Lyrica for?
    Sess

PS - How do I get my SMILES to work????

Old 08-27-2007, 03:41 PM   #18
    1sunny1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

1sunny1 HB User1sunny1 HB User

1sunny1 ok going to pick your brain here real important, because of my symptoms fibro. has been brought up to me, have the burning in my left foot, drives me crazy, comes & gos. coming more freqeuntly now, hoping Lryica will help with that,Here it comes could you please tell me your symptoms & how you got diaganosed with the fibro. Have to be honest real afraid of having that, I am in so much discomfort & pain,along with swelling tingling, numbness & so on.. it just won't go away. As I have said mine is primarly all left sided, except for headaches I have been getting recently, but my neck is really sore & cracking alot, feels hard to hold my head up. I am interested in your symptoms & what doctor diagnosed this with you? I have been told I may have to see a rhuematalogist may be auto ammune disease, If you would share some info. with me I would be real grateful, thanks, Sammy[/QUOTE]

Sammy, I had symptoms for years. I went to numerous doctors and they found nothing. I finally found one that I love. I went to him with a list of things, also did a lot of research on the internet about fibromyalgia, and asked my doc if he thought that I had it. After doing numerous blood tests to rule out everything else, as they have to rule out all other things before a diagnosis of fibro. I went to a neurologist that put me on elavil 100 mg. I have to say that this med did wonders, took away the headaches, also the burning of the feet, everything. After taking elavil for a year, I gained a lot of weight and then it quit working for the headaches, so I decided that this was not the pill for me, I didn't need to gain weight and if it didn't take the headaches away, then why was I taking it. Problem was, that when I stopped, all the other things came back, the burning of the feet and the pain in my hip. I still don't want to gain anymore weight, so I won't take it anymore. My doc sent me to pain management after diagnosing me with fibro, and she put me on the neurontin and cymbalta. Neither one took care of the headaches or the burning of the feet, so now we are trying the lyrica and getting off the neurontin..staying on the cymbalta. So far the feet burning has gone to mild, still getting headaches, but the ibuprofen 800 mg helps with that. You might try Elavil, it really can work wonders, don't no why it quit working, but I suspect that all meds are going to work for a whike and then quit working. Also, I was on prednisone a few years back and that also helped, but you can't take that stuff for long.

The arthritis in the neck, well, it was a last resort to send me to get an x-ray of the neck, as the blood work for arthritis was negative. The x-ray definitely showed it, thus, the cracking of the neck. If the pain keeps up in my neck, my pain management doc said they would give me shots in the neck for the pain. hope this helps some.

Sunny

Old 08-27-2007, 06:14 PM   #19
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Thanks guys, Sess have indeed tried chiro, & got some relief but had to go all the time, got expensive & relief never lasted long at all. But if the headaches persist I will have to go to pt or chiro. I will increase my Lryica probably tommorrow, side effects not as bad, just hope it is not contributing to this headache.

1sunny1, what were some of the worst symptoms of Fibro, & could it be all left sided? that is what is confusing me, I worry they will say I have It because they cannot find out what is really wrong, I have such bad swelling, muscle spasms & pain, especially in the upper chest on left side. Did you have any of this? Headaches have come on all of a sudden weird, had migraines years ago, but these headaches are strange all consuming. Really afraid of migraines coming back, even my ear hurts & left side of throat. It is probably my neck, I feel like I live on an ice pack, I will definantly be calling pharmacist tommorrow to make sure it is not a rebound headache from some of these meds, sorry for the questions very curious. Been on prednisone in past for around 8 months terrable withdrawl coming off, this time no steroids help much at all, shocked me how little relief I got, & how inflammed I remained, on elavil many years ago for the migraines, pretty nasty for me, hoping for the Lryica, we will see. Sammy

Last edited by sammyo1; 08-27-2007 at 06:20 PM.

Old 08-27-2007, 07:21 PM   #20
    1sunny1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sammyo1 View Post

1sunny1, what were some of the worst symptoms of Fibro, & could it be all left sided? that is what is confusing me, I worry they will say I have It because they cannot find out what is really wrong, I have such bad swelling, muscle spasms & pain, especially in the upper chest on left side. Did you have any of this? Headaches have come on all of a sudden weird, had migraines years ago, but these headaches are strange all consuming. Really afraid of migraines coming back, even my ear hurts & left side of throat. It is probably my neck, I feel like I live on an ice pack, I will definantly be calling pharmacist tommorrow to make sure it is not a rebound headache from some of these meds, sorry for the questions very curious. Been on prednisone in past for around 8 months terrable withdrawl coming off, this time no steroids help much at all, shocked me how little relief I got, & how inflammed I remained, on elavil many years ago for the migraines, pretty nasty for me, hoping for the Lryica, we will see. Sammy
    Sammy, I believe that fibro for everyone is different, we may have some pains that are alike but many of us have different things going on. You should go to the the National Fibro Association web site, or just look up fibromyalgia and you will find many web sites that talk about it. I don't know if people just have one sided pain or not, but I am sure it is possible. I am not sure that Lyrica is going to help with the headaches, it seems to be for nerve endings, which would definitely help my feet and has already helped my hip area. I agree that the headaches are the worst, they can be debilitating. Ask your Doc to have an x-ray taken of your neck, it will definitely tell you if there is arthritis or not, or something else. I think that for me, it is not the fibro causing the headaches but the neck problems. I forgot to mention, there are pressure points that a Doctor can do to see if you have fibro, but believe me, you don't have to have everyone of these pressure points to have it, and if you don't have any, it is likely you don't have it....I hope you don't have it, it is a terrible thing to have to live with, let us know how you are doing and what you find out.

Take care, Sunny

Old 08-28-2007, 06:13 AM   #21
    marykelly7
    (female)

marykelly7 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sess View Post
    Sammyo1,

If you are not comfortable about increasing your does of Lyrica wait until you are that is what I did. It took me a little while to get use to it also. As your dose is increased the nerve pain you are feeling will go done. I noticed that and if I forget to take the Lyrica, I start feeling the nerve pain. I really understand where you are coming from.

Have you ever been to a Chiropractor? If you haven't, that might help with your neck & headaces. I have four buldged discs in my neck. I do get headaches from time to time and also numb hands. The Chiro helps alot with that. The last thing I need is for my neck to start up.

I am still trying which route to go with my back. Fusion or Artificial Disc!
    Take care Sammyo1
    Sess

Marykelly7,

If you son't mind, what do you take Lyrica for?
    Sess

PS - How do I get my SMILES to work????

Sess,

I have 3 fused discs in my neck with another one being fused soon (as well as one of the other one's redone). I have extensive nerve damage from my neck to the tips of my fingers on my right side. The Lyrica is taking a while to kick in but I can see improvement. Nerves take so long to heal or respond to meds that it's easy to get frustrated and give up.

marykelly7

Old 08-28-2007, 06:22 AM   #22
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

1sunny1, ended up with migraine last night my worst fear, laid in bed & just cried, I know migriane pain, nothing touches it, scared witless, never could get rid of the darn things when they came, & I believe it is from my neck, calling PT today,also pharmacist. Oxycodone did not help that pain @ all, now I have to worry about those coming back, don't handle those well @ all, I need to make sure these meds. are not contributing. But my neck feels swollen on left side. Thank you so much, I will check site for fibro. I have in the past & did not seem like that is what I have & thank you for info on pressure points did not know that, what kind of doctor diagnoses fibro, & treats it? you have been a big help. Sammy

Old 08-28-2007, 07:19 AM   #23
    1sunny1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sammyo1 View Post
    1sunny1, ended up with migraine last night my worst fear, laid in bed & just cried, I know migriane pain, nothing touches it, scared witless, never could get rid of the darn things when they came, & I believe it is from my neck, calling PT today,also pharmacist. Oxycodone did not help that pain @ all, now I have to worry about those coming back, don't handle those well @ all, I need to make sure these meds. are not contributing. But my neck feels swollen on left side. Thank you so much, I will check site for fibro. I have in the past & did not seem like that is what I have & thank you for info on pressure points did not know that, what kind of doctor diagnoses fibro, & treats it? you have been a big help. Sammy
    Sammy, I am so sorry you are in such pain, it seems you are taking strong meds, stronger than I take, and if they don't work, I just don't know what to tell you, I am sorry you are suffering so much. Actually, any doctor can diagnose fibro, he just has to believe in it, some doctors don't. Some doctors will refer you to a rhuemy, I actually did not go to a rhuemy and am very glad I didn't. I have been to them before and I don't like them or the meds they give you, I prefer the pain management doctor I go to, she actually agreed with my doctor that it was most likely fibromyalgia. I have a lot of background that would back up why I have fibro, it is pretty personal, so I won't go into it on these boards. But, everyone agrees it is fibro. If you need a diagnosis or just need to be checked to see if you have it, make sure your doc believes in it.

Sunny

Old 08-28-2007, 08:57 AM   #24
    Backinthesaddle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Backinthesaddle HB User

Are you sure you are having mirgraines????? I do know there are meds for them directly....I have never had one but my father does....however I do have from time to time awful headaches but they are occipital headaches. They are sorta like migraines but not. My eyeballs and neck hurt bad for about 5-6 hours. And nothing but time makes it better. No meds work. I was told by one of my pt's that it is when C1/2 rotate and do not rotate back.

Sammy about lyrica...I got so tired at first...then with time it does not affect me at all. I take so much together that it actually hypes me up for a few hours plus I add a energy drink to the mix in the morning seems to help alot for some odd reason.

I take the 75mg 2x a day. Can take it 3x but only do that when i have breakthrough pain. Sometimes I am not sure what pain is what. Nerve pain or just pain.

My triceps hurt all the time as does my shoulders and neck. My hands and fingers hurt most all the time. I type during the day and at times my arms tire so much I have to rest between lines....ha

Hope those headaches get better.

Old 08-31-2007, 05:06 AM   #25
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Backinthesaddle, That sounds like it could be, mine is almost all on left side, but indeed my eyes hurt almost feel like they start to swell, Pain is unbelievable, so is pain from migraines, that is something I will look into, thanks alot for the info, I feel swollen in the neck (neck is cracking alot) & upper chest area,lots of muscle spasms in chest, neck feels stiff lately, headaches just lingeres there, could this headache you are mentioning be primarly left sided? I know nothing touches the pain med wise. I just uped the Lryica to 75mg aday ([email protected],[email protected] lunch), so we will see, the side effects from [email protected] bedtime started to diminish so felt is was safe to try to up it, I hope it helps, will wait to see what doc wants me to do from this point with the Lyrica. I am still on low dose as far as I know. By the way headaches always want to come on strong around same time every evening/early night, they are there linging all day, had them couple times during early day but mostly around same time frame in late evening anyone find that strange? My sister thinks it is because the end of the day neck/upper torso is agrravated, but I find it odd, it is 9:00 am & I can feel that headache lingering on that left side so I hope it does not kick in early today.Same time frame to me seems alittle strange any thoughts on that?

Sunny, thanks for replying, I have heard that with doctors & fibro, what a shame the medical community can't agree. Sooner or later someone has to label this something, takes so darn long to get into these doctors. It is enough to drive you crazy, What kind of headaches do you get? Thanks again guys don't know what I would do with out all of you, your so much help. Sammy

Last edited by sammyo1; 08-31-2007 at 06:06 AM.

Old 08-31-2007, 07:02 AM   #26
    Nan_2159
    (female)

Nan_2159 HB User
    Hi

Quote:
    I am new to this board. I will see how it goes

About the Lyrica; I am taking 150mg 2 times a day. I dont think it is working for me at all.I saw how much all of the other post said they were taking. Sounds to me like you might need to increase your mgs.
    Now I had an EMG in June showing more problems with C6. I had surgery on
    C5-6 C6-7 in 2005. I also had surgery on C4-5 Sept 2006 Almost one year to the date from my first surgery. Well, After the last surgery, I have not felt good at all. I personally think something happened during the last surgery on C4-5. I think something went worng and they did not see how C6 must have moved or something.

I am so sorry that you are not feeling well. Please talk with your doctor about the pain you are having and maybe he will help you.

Take Care & God Bless,Nan

Old 08-31-2007, 05:39 PM   #27
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Re: Hi

nan, welcome aboard, how long have you taken the lryica? I chose to increase in very small increments because of the side effects. I believe it is a very expermental drug for different types of nerve pain. I can say in some way I feel better but in others I don't. That is a shame about your surgery & if you have been on the lryica any large amount of time I cant see why your doctor has you on it if it is not working. I hate to hear of people going through the pain of surgery & still having pain after. Is there anything else they can do for you? I believe you will find the boards very informative & supportive. As for me I will be seeing a rehab. doc. in sept. have to wait of course. I do not want to end up on a large dose of lryica, and need to make sure they are in no way linked to these headaches, they stared shortly after starting lyrica, went off for a week headaches started went back on & headaches still here. so we will see, once again I believe you will find these boards if anything at all a huge understanding support system, good luck to you, Sammy

Old 09-13-2007, 09:52 AM   #28
    purpletrail
    (female)

purpletrail HB User

At first it made me dizzy and tired. Now I don't notice that. I do seem to be a lot more hungry and need to take lyrica with food. It sounds like I will need to watch my weight. I take 50mg a.m and p.m. It worked well for the first two weeks, but now I am noticing more numbness, so perhaps I need to increase my dose. ??? I hate to do that since I am worried about the dizziness and fatigue coming back. Maybe I will try it 3 times a day and see what happens over the weekend.

Holly

Old 09-13-2007, 02:37 PM   #29
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thanks for the info, I hope not to have to increase but we will see, the side effects are still there not as bad but don't want them any worse. The memory thing really gets to me. once again thanks, Sammy

Closed Thread