It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• I'd rather be anemic!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-29-2007, 10:02 AM   #1
    glad2bamom
    (female)

glad2bamom HB User
    Unhappy I'd rather be anemic!

Hello there everyone! This is my first time posting to a message board about this and I am hoping that I might find someone who has had a similar experience to me.
    About a month ago I went for a visit to my GP and mentioned casually at the end of the visit that I have a habit of chewing ice. He stopped dead in his tracks and said that is called Pica and he wanted to run some blood tests. The results came back showing that I was severely anemic with my iron at a 17 and the rest of the results showing no red blood cell production at all. He wanted me to take 325 mg. of iron 3X a day and come back in a week. I kind of laughed about it, surprised that I was so anemic because I felt great! I filled the presctiption and started taking my iron the next day and about 24 hrs. later I felt like I had been hit by a train. Headaches, extreme fatigue, forgetfullness, achy, head-in-a-cloud, no appetite... pretty much just awful. Motrin, or tylenol wouldn't help the headache and as a mom with 3 kids, the fatigue never let up. Without fail, everytime I have taken my iron for the past month, ten minutes later I have a headache followed by the rest of the not-so-fun symptoms. My GP said that he has never heard of someone reacting to iron like this and he couldn't understand why I felt so good before. That's it. He put me back to two times a day "if tollerated" and once a day at min. After being in three times to try and get some help from him, thinking that this is not a normal way to feel, I have asked him for a referral to a hematologist. And I have stopped taking my iron as of two days ago and I am starting to feel my energy come back and my head come out of this cloud.
    Please! If there is anyone who has had a similar experience, let me know. I would rather be anemic than feel as awful as I did on my iron supplements.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2007, 11:34 AM   #2
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
    Re: I'd rather be anemic!

glad2bamom--Welcome to the boards! You will find a lot of information and many people with plenty to share.

First, I'd like to tell you that I have never heard a story like yours on here (unless I just missed the post) with so many symptoms on oral iron. I've heard many things about IV and bad reactions, even reactions to oral iron, but not someone with many multiple symptoms such as yours.

I had a very similar thing happen to with even more symptoms. The difference is, you were smart enough to stop your iron. I was too scared not to take it because my hgb was 8.5 and the doctor said, blood transfusion at a 7, I also had a 2 Ferritin.

I was on FERRIS SULFATE 3X daily. Within 2 days I became very ill with diarrhea that lasted 3 months and lost 15 pounds. Kept going back to the doctor, he said that this is not a symptom of anemia so I stayed on the iron. I went to the ER, that doc said this is an "ER" and you have an ongoing problem and sent me home with a CBC. Finally, my husband faxed a copy of my labs to his GI and he saw me right away because of the blood issue. This doctor changed my iron to Poly iron 150mgs 2X daily it's easier on the GI system. I was DX with enteritis and like I said, had it for 3 mo's. This with all your other symptoms although, the headaches were just in the beginning for a short while. Later, I went on to have one sided facial and hand numbness with blurred vision, only on left side that came on from neck spasms.

The GI doctor said that I should stop the iron and start shots. He said that he would show my husband how to give them. He also gave my (Cholestramine) SP to help the enteritis??? That week I became so ill from this new medicine and had to stop it too. We called back and asked when can I start shots, I needed iron. The doctor called me at home and said that he was not the "iron guy" and that he never said he would show us how. He told me I need to see another doctor. He even went as far as to say I'm not blowing you off, but I won't take the risk of giving you anymore iron. My practice is full I don't need this.

Then I proceeded to a Hematologist. I thought yes, finally, I will get help that I so desperately need. He just put me back on the oral as before. After ~some~ symptoms subsided I was able to handle this iron.

It has been around 8 mo's now and I am no longer anemic but my Ferritin was 9 last time I checked. Yesterday, I had this checked again and should get results soon I hope.

The doctors early on said it was iron, but I'm on this iron now and take it on an empty stomach and I'm fine with it. I don't think that they really know all the symptoms that Ferritin and Anemia have. Of course this gives me extreme anxiety when I have to see a doctor. I didn't have much luck. I saw a neuro yesterday for the neck portion and he thinks since I getting better that it's great. Basically everything had been ruled out for diseases. I keep responding to iron and am feeling much better these days.

I suggest that you try another iron soon. It can get ugly if your not on any replacement therapy. Many people have different reactions and try until they find something that works for them. You would also benefit from a good Multivitamin, it helps you to build your body back up.

PICA is what I read on the net and told my doctor as well. I think we have similar stories however, not exactly the same.

Any questions, just ask away and someone will help you! Good luck and feel better soon. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 08-29-2007, 12:30 PM   #3
    glad2bamom
    (female)

glad2bamom HB User

Flflowergirl,
    thanks so much for your post. You have confirmed what I had come to find, I haven't found someone else with the other symptoms yet. When you say it can get ugly with your iron low, what do you mean? Like I said, I feel great when I am not on it. I was also on ferrous sulfate 3x a day and I had also begun to lose weight from the diarrhea.I also know what you mean about the anxiety. For a few days there I thought there must be something really, really wrong with me like cancer or something. But my doctor said that he doesn't see any major flags and to not loose sleep over it. Not that I would lose sleep since that is all that I wanted to do. But yesterday I pretty much got blown off too. I don't know at this point what else to do. It was frustrating that my doctor didn't even suggest trying a different kind of iron. When I asked for the referral to the hematologist he said that was fine but not urgent after all, they had real patients with serious problems, like cancer. Nice huh?

Last edited by glad2bamom; 08-29-2007 at 12:39 PM.

Old 08-29-2007, 01:06 PM   #4
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

I just mean that if you are not getting iron, your blood goes down and things can happen. I myself would try another iron they are not created equal. They say to slowly introduce it to your system. You can quarter the pill and take it that was building gradually. I took 3X daily at once, my doctor didn't know anything about iron. He said go to the pharmacy and I did what they recommended. You can recover in 30-45 days from anemia, it took me 8mo's. This was due to doctors telling me this and that or not. And I also asked about cancer. My eyes are still black in the corners. Finally, I read and studied then I made myself well but my hair still falls out. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 08-29-2007, 07:40 PM   #5
    glad2bamom
    (female)

glad2bamom HB User

Thanks again for a reply. I got a call from my hemotologist today and allthough my GP said three weeks was good and prob. sooner than I needed, the Hemo. reviewed my charts and wanted me in within the week. So I have an appt. in about 10 days. With your input and the call from the doctors office I feel totally validated for the first time in a while. Thanks for your time.

Old 08-30-2007, 07:06 AM   #6
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I'm glad that your making progress. It is much harder to deal with when you are sick from the iron. I wanted you to know that I found a place on the net that said Ferrous Sulfate should not be taken and should be regarded as a poison. The article read that once entering the body damage begins. That is what I read. I know others take this and NEVER have a problem. I think that it is the make up of your specific system or the amount we were on. My Hematologist said that is enough to kill anyone. In the beginning I just read these boards I couldn't even type. Keep us posted and be well. FLFLOWERGIRL

Closed Thread