It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• Daytrana Patch???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-25-2007, 09:25 PM   #1
    goody2shuz
    Inactive
    (female)

goody2shuz HB Usergoody2shuz HB User
    Daytrana Patch???

We just got back from the Amen Clinic (what a wonderful place that is ) and finally got a diagnosis with the SPECT Imaging and thorough evaluation for our 18 year old daughter. I truly was amazed at how they utilized the clinical data as well as the images on the scan to pinpoint the problem that we have had so much trouble diagnosing. And the scan allowed a visual for our daughter to see who has for years been fighting the fact that some biological/chemical condition was going on. We had lost so many years and found that the Amen Clinic was the quickest and most accurate way of getting to the root of the problem. It certainly was worth every penny spent to finally find out the answers to our questions and concerns.

Anyway, turns out that she has ADD (the type 6 otherwise referred to as the "Ring of Fire" by Dr. Amen) as well as mood disorder NOS and they have decided to start her on an anticonvulsant (Lamictal) and, if need be, add on Daytrana once she is at a therapeutic dose of the Lamictal.

Just wondering if others have used the patch and would appreciate any information that you might send my way based upon your experience in using it.

Thanks and looking forward to any info you can send my way.

(((((HUGS))))) ~ Goody

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2007, 07:01 AM   #2
    alwayzworried23
    (female)

alwayzworried23 HB User
    Re: Daytrana Patch???

Hey Goody! I am so glad things are going well with your daughter. I've never heard of that patch before. I just wanted to say hi!! and tell you that you are in my prayers! I am very glad that you stopped your daughter's adderall abuse before it turned into an extreme addiction like I had. have a great day!

Old 08-30-2007, 08:20 AM   #3
    Brocallie
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Brocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB User

Hi!

I'm so envious that you got to go to the Amen Clinic! My 10 yo dd just began Concerta in July and is to do some more testing for learning disabilities next week. If we don't get adequate control, Amen is the next stop (next summer, most likely.) From my assessment, my dd is the "mixed type."

I've also been interested in the Daytrana patch as so far the Concerta is good, but not great. I will be checking for updates, so please keep them coming!

Cally

PS--which clinic did you attend and how long was the wait to get in???

Old 09-03-2007, 02:42 PM   #4
    goody2shuz
    Inactive
    (female)

Hi Alwayz & Cally ~ thanks for your posts. I appreciate the prayers and have to say that the Amen Clinic was such a great move for us. Just seeing my daughters split second of relief when she looked at those scans and the doctor pointed out what was going on in her brain was astounding. It was the most headway we have ever made with her and just the fact that while we were on our way back with the starter pack of Lamictal and her taking the first dose without our prompting was enough for us to see that she wants to do everything to get better.

We went to the clinic in Virginia since it was the closest one to us. You need to plan on staying in the area for 3-5 days depending on scheduling. We were fortunate enough to get an appointment within a week. When I called they didn't seem to have openings until the end of September which would have been 6 weeks but I guess when they heard our situation and the desperateness in my voice they were able to get us in. We had to do a 24 page intake prior to getting there and then we met with a historian who over 2 hours asked us to go through our daughter's history. She then went to get her first scan which was a concentration scan. The second day she had her baseline scan. And the third day we met with the psychiatrist who reviewed the history, intake information & testing and the results of the scan. He spent about 2 hours with us going over the findings and diagnosis as well as what the best treatment would be. It basically cuts to the chase in terms of guessing which meds are going to do the thing.

Of course it is going to be difficult to measure our daughter's progress being that she is away at college but we have been checking in by phone and will schedule a visit to see how she is doing. I will keep you posted.

The Daytrana Patch will not be tried until she reaches a therapeutic dose of the Lamictal which could take up to 2-3 months. I just thought I would get as much info about it before we actually start it.

Thanks again for your kind thoughts.

((((HUGS)))) ~ Goody

Old 09-04-2007, 06:43 AM   #5
    Brocallie
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Brocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB User

Thanks for the info. Keep us posted! Hang in there, mom! I'm sure having your dd away is causing lots of angst as well! Cally

Old 09-05-2007, 06:19 AM   #6
    alwayzworried23
    (female)

alwayzworried23 HB User

I am so glad everything is going better. I will continue to keep you in my prayers. I looked up the patch and it still has the same warnings of abuse and addiction that adderall does. That concerns me because i remember what adderall was like. But since this is a patch, i don't see much 'abuse' happening. Try to stay away from the pills if you can!! have a great day! God bless!

Old 09-09-2007, 11:02 AM   #7
    3kidz4me
    (female)

3kidz4me HB User

I have no experience w/ any of the patches, but thought I would pass along that some parents say the patch is hard to remove from the protective paper, but found the solution to be putting the patches in the fridge which makes them easier to remove. Just something to stick in the back of your brain in case you ever need it.

Old 09-09-2007, 04:16 PM   #8
    goody2shuz
    Inactive
    (female)

Thanks, Alwayz and 3kidz!!! I wouldn't think that my daughter would go through the trouble of putting lots of these patches on especially since she will have a tough enough time getting the backing off!!! She's not very patient to begin with!!

Anyway....I have heard that the patches ARE difficult to get on as far as the backing and also with them sticking as well.....seems that you have to hold it in place for a bit pressing until it finally sticks.

She isn't even starting the patches for a while since the doctor would like to see how she does on the Lamictal first and then take it from there. I will keep you posted but it may be a few months before we actually start with the patch.

Thanks for the info....I soo appreciate it.

Love ~ Goody

Old 09-11-2007, 07:15 PM   #9
    addprogrammer
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User

Goody,

DAMN good news. DAMN GOOD I said. Did you hear the standing ovation coming out of Penn's woods? It's me.

Old 09-11-2007, 07:42 PM   #10
    goody2shuz
    Inactive
    (female)

Hehehehehehehehehehehe....I thought I heard some noise coming from your corner of the world as I was posting a new thread dedicated to WONDERFUL YOU who deserves a great BIG thank you for all the insight and support!!! You were definitely a BIG part of this, Bob!!

We still have a ways to go but the worst is behind us!! Now it is all up to our daughter and HIM!!! I just got the ball rolling with a little help from my friends!!!

Thanks Bob, for all your support and for the standing ovation!!! I sooo appreciate your celebrating this moment with me!!

Love ~ Goody

Old 09-20-2007, 07:19 PM   #11
    beach4me
    (female)

beach4me HB User
    We love the patch

My son started on the patch shortly have it came out. He is 14 and has tried Adderall (3 years) and Concerta.

He LOVED the patch. He said that it was a very "smooth" feeling. No ups and downs that can come with Adderall. Also, there was NO rebounding. Something we dealt with on the other two meds he had been on. He was able to remove it when he wanted and a couple of hours later, he slept thru the night.

At first, there were issues with the patch and them staying put. But, they have greatly improved them. Also, I have no earthly idea how someone could abuse the patch, unless they handed a brand new one to a person. Once the patch is on, you can not take it off and place it on another part of your body or anyone else's for that matter. It will not "restick".

That being said, he is a very active athlete. He has soccer practice two hours each day and a couple of games each weekend. The kid never stops sweating! With the sweat and constant movement of every part of his body,,,the patch would come loose and start to fall off. Very frustrating for him. You can not "restick" them....trust me he has tried everything.

We are starting Vayanse (sp?) over the weekend. It is brand new. It is suppose to have the same smoothness of the Daytronia but in pill formula. Also, it is suppose to be be longer acting. So, I will let you know how it goes.

I would definately give the patch a try. Everyone I know who has tried it has really liked it.

Closed Thread