It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• HELP with Colp results...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-12-2007, 07:13 PM   #1
    lsmith1
    (female)

lsmith1 HB User
    HELP with Colp results...

I know there are a lot of posts on here about dysplasia and you all seem to know a lot about it so here it goes...

Pap came back abnormal (first time, I am 25 and been every year since I was 15) ASCUS and positive for high risk HPV...I tried not to worry and figured the Colposcopy would show nothing and I could forget about this. When I went in for the Colp and the doc said it did not look bad at all probably just inflamation and maybe at worst CIN I...still felt pretty good about the whole thing (Oh and I have severe health anxiety so I was doing REALLY good). Well today I got a message from my doc and when I called back to talk to him the nurse says "He called you himself"...I was like great! Anyways he called me back and said that the biopsy taken from the outer region showed CIN II-III and he said he was really surprised. He gave me the usual options of either freezing or LEEP and I picked LEEP because he said that is the one he recommended. So of course now I am freaked out and think I am dying...go figure (anxiety).

My question is can these be false like the PAP can be or is the biopsy pretty much a sure thing?? Is CIN II-III like borderline and the LEEP will confirm which one it really is? Or can the LEEP actually show that it was less than they thought like..."Oh it is only CIN I". I feel like every test is getting worse and after the LEEP it will be like "Oops you had cancer the whole time". Oh and I have to wait 4 weeks for the LEEP...I think that is just crazy.

Of course my doctor said don't worry about it because he does this all the time and I do trust him but I also know they are not God and don't know EVERYTHING. I have been reading that this vicious cycle of tests and waiting for results lasts for a while. Any advise would be GREATLY appreciated!!! Thanks!

Oh and I almost forgot, I do smoke (and have for 10+ years) and I know I need to quit but my family is going through some major issues with my little sis being on serious drugs and I just don't know if I can quit right now. We are worried she is going to die so I am already not sleeping or eating becasue of that. Again thanks for listening to me...lots of love to all!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2007, 07:55 PM   #2
    ahines74b
    (female)

ahines74b HB User
    Re: HELP with Colp results...

Well i thought i would help you out a little bit... Im going through somewhat the same thing! Ok when you got your pap smear it came back abnormal (one thing to think about is on your pap smear it is a biologist that looks at it and makes a **personal** judgement!! thats why they ask for the biopsy so they can make sure that they give you the right results! The biopsy is very very very acurate and the LEEP procedure that you are going to get is going to be well worth it i think... im going in for mine in 1 week from today! I hope all goes well.... CIN II & III are mild and severe and the leep remaining with let the pathologist know EXACTLY what you have! i hope i have been able to give you the information needed! let me know if you have anymore questions!

amanda

Old 09-13-2007, 04:22 AM   #3
    lsmith1
    (female)

lsmith1 HB User

So the CIN II-III is a def and the LEEP will try to get of it and also will test to make sure it is not anything else...I think I get it. Thanks a bunch for your response! It is very confusing and when they tell me not to worry I still do, good luck with yours!

Old 09-13-2007, 06:00 AM   #4
    Shshi
    Inactive
    (female)

Shshi HB UserShshi HB User

Hi,

I've been on this rollercoaster ride for over two years now. Like you, even though my Pap was ASC-US, my biopsies were CIN II/III (moderate and severe dysplasia.)

Due to a family emergency, I didn't get treated at the time of my diagnosis. My doctor thought we could just wait and see if anything progressed. Two years later, I was diagnosed with CIS, carcinoma in situ (cancer which hasn't spread yet.) I had laser surgery for it in May.

I know all of this is very scary. However, it's important to remember that most of the time, the biopsies are accurate, so I doubt you have anything to worry about. Pap tests only get a small sample of surface cells, so many times, the results are only a superficial view of what's going on. That means that sometimes the Pap test shows things worse than they actually are or (as in my case) the condition is actually worse than the Pap shows. The biopsy actually looks at the full thickness of the cells, so is much more accurate.

Also keep in mind that dysplasia is NOT cancer. In the majority of cases, it never turns into cancer, and even when it does, it can take many, many (up to 12) years to do so. Also, even if the worst happens and it is cancer, cervical cancer is one of the most treatable of all cancers.

As a friend on another board always says, don't waste a good panic. Hang in there. You're not alone.

Hugs,

Lisa

Last edited by Shshi; 09-13-2007 at 12:16 PM.

Old 09-13-2007, 11:55 AM   #5
    LAgirl81
    (female)

LAgirl81 HB User

Hi there!

I think the other women posted great responses to your post and remember, the main thing is that you DO NOT have cancer now and you just have the very very pre pre beginning stages. Dysplasia, pre cancerous cells, sometimes never evolve into cancerous cells, so also keep that in mind. Of course, it is better to get the area removed than let it sit there and see if it progresses or not.

But in either case, you will be FINE. The LEEP has a great track record at keeping the dysplasia from recurring and in treating the affected area.

But the LEEP is not a cure, and I feel that you should know that. It merely treats the pre-cancerous lesion so in order to make sure that the dysplasia does not recur, you should definitely TAKE CARE of your health. The only way to keep HPV at bay is to boost your immune system. LEEPs, cryo, etc will never cure us of HPV. And HPV is the culprit in causing cervical dysplasia.

So basically, without trying to seem like a lecturing mother, you MUST quit smoking if you want to do everything to make sure that your HPV will be suppressed and that you won't develop dysplasia again after your LEEP. Also, if you're an anxious person, definitely look into taking care of that (counseling, etc) because stress definitely worsens dysplasia and takes its toll on our immune systems. And eat well (plenty of veggies) and exercise! The usual good things we know we should do for our bodies! But honestly, this will definitely help you overall and boost your immune system so that nasty dysplasia won't come back.

Good luck with your LEEP and take care!

Old 09-13-2007, 06:25 PM   #6
    lsmith1
    (female)

lsmith1 HB User

Thank you all so much for your replies I def feel better since reading what you have said. I know that I need to quit smoking and start taking better care of myself so I am going to set a quit date.

I still can't believe they are making me wait a month though. But then I guess they would not let me wait that long if they thought it was too bad...so that is good. I wanted to call the nurse today and see if she could share more in depth info about my results but then I thought I prob don't want to know because I will ****** search them and freak myself out even more...lol

Again thank you all for your advise, support, and comfort.

Lots of luck and love to all of you!

Old 09-13-2007, 06:46 PM   #7
    Shshi
    Inactive
    (female)

Shshi HB UserShshi HB User

Hi again,

Waiting a month or more isn't unusual. I had an abnormal Pap in December of last year (LGSIL). I didn't have a colposcopy until the begining of February 2007. When CIS was found, I had a consult with the oncologist in March and had the laser surgery in May. So from the abnormal Pap to the treatment was a total of five months.

Fortunately, it takes a long, long time for cervical cancer to spread. But I know how difficult the waiting can be. You want it to be done NOW so you can stop worrying about it.

My prayers are with you.

Hugs,

Lisa

Old 09-13-2007, 07:01 PM   #8
    lsmith1
    (female)

lsmith1 HB User

Ok so I have one more question...lol

Is the results of the colp my diagnosis or will the LEEP show the true diagnosis? If my Colp showed CIN II-III will the LEEP show the same thing and then just tell the docs if they got it all? I keep reading something about margins is why I ask.

I think I am scared because I think the LEEP could show cancer even though the first 2 tests (PAP and Colp) did not show that.

Thanks!

Old 09-16-2007, 02:20 PM   #9
    lsmith1
    (female)

lsmith1 HB User

Yes another question...I have been having lower back pain and pain in m right side which feels like my gallbladder but it may be radiating up from my lower abdomin...anyone else had these symptoms with dysplasia?? Or am I just freaking myself out and paying more attention to stuff, Thanks!

Closed Thread