It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board

• strontium renelate in the UK

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-14-2007, 08:00 AM   #1
    karin6167
    (female)

karin6167 HB User
    strontium renelate in the UK

I have a friend that is going to the UK and is willing to get me strontium renelate. Does anyone have any idea what is costs or if I will need a perscription? Do you think strontium citrate would be just as good? I have just completed 2 years on forteo and am starting Boniva. My doc wants me to start strontium as well. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Karin

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2007, 08:45 AM   #2
    osteoblast
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

osteoblast HB User
    Re: strontium renelate in the UK

That is very interesting that your doc wants you to do the boniva plus the strontium. That is the first that I have heard of that. I wonder if anyone else is combinine a bisphos with the strontium. Anybody esle out there doing this?
    To my knowledge the stront. ranelate is by prescription only.

Old 09-29-2007, 05:28 PM   #3
    StarSong
    (female)

StarSong HB User
    Exclamation Re: strontium renelate in the UK

is there anyone on this board that is taking strontium renelate or know of anyone who is???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    StarSong

Old 09-29-2007, 06:04 PM   #4
    montesflus
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

montesflus HB Usermontesflus HB User

KARIN 6167 :

Hi. You mention that a friend of yours can bring you Strontium Renelate from the UK. As far as I'm aware, you will need a prescription to take this med. Also, is your doc aware that Strontium Renelate is NOT available in the US? If he wants you to be on Strontium Renelate, how will you be able to continue using it, after you've finished the supply your friend brings you from the UK? Also, to my knowledge, you would need a prescription for Strontium Renelate.

Some time ago, I was also interested in acquiring some Strontium Renelate from the UK myself, on a trip there, but there were problems in bringing it into the USA. However, Strontium Citrate, an over the counter supplement, IS available in the US online, and in certain health food stores (I just recently found it in Los Angeles, due to customers demand). Have you asked your doc about Strontium Citrate? Also, I've never heard of the combination of Strontium/boniva. I would be a little wary of that. Do some research on Boniva first, perhaps check out an online site called ''askapatient''.

Hope it works out

Old 09-30-2007, 12:09 PM   #5
    karin6167
    (female)

karin6167 HB User

My doctor was more than willing to write a script for the renalate in the UK but more than likely his perscription wouldn't be good in the UK and I might not be able to get a years supply. If I didn't like it once I got it I'd be stuck with it so, instead I went with the citrate. And yes, my doc from the Mayo Clinic finally returned my call and said the Boniva should be fine with the strontium. Just don't take them close to eachother. Don't take calcium for 2 hours after or prior to boniva (or anything for that matter but water) and don't take strontium close to calcium either. I was on forteo for 2 years and was told by him (mayo doc) to make sure to go on some sort of drug (fosamax, boniva, etc.) after completing my two years or he felt my bones would not keep the small increases the two years had gained for me. He said the strontium could help and would definetly not hurt. Hope he knows! I will continue to take both till I find someone somewhere that disputes him. My local primary care doc also is in favor of trying this method for a year. I will go on the site you sent to see what I can find. Thanks for sending it.
    Karin

Old 09-30-2007, 02:11 PM   #6
    phylwill1152
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User

H Karin...you ask about adjustments for strontium in the other post, but if you are taking both strontium and boniva at the same time i don't know what kind of asjustments would need to be made. I'm just taking strontium. Since the dr. at Mayo told you to do it, maybe he could get the adjustments needed to get a good reading from taking both. take care...phyllis

Old 09-30-2007, 03:11 PM   #7
    karin6167
    (female)

karin6167 HB User

The Mayo clinic doc was my doctor 2 years ago when I started forteo. I went to him only for a short time. It's a far trip for me and I wanted to make sure all the right tests were done and that he agreed with the treatment plan that my primary care guy was suggesting. I was really surprised when he answered my phone call last month and then returned my email question with an answer this month after not seeing him for 2 years and 3 months. It's wonderful to know there are still dedicated caring physicians out there.

Old 10-03-2007, 12:11 PM   #8
    karin6167
    (female)

karin6167 HB User

If anyone knows the info on reading of a DEXA while on strontium could you let me know. Here is what my doc said "The bone mineral density data cannot be relied upon because strontium has a higher atomic number than calcium so that BMD will increase simply if strontium substitutes for calcium in bone mineral. It's all greek to me.
    Karin

Old 10-03-2007, 01:32 PM   #9
    DesertBloom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

DesertBloom HB UserDesertBloom HB User

Hi Karin: Here's an article that explains Stron Content on dxa's. There is an article around that gives an equation, but I can't find it right now. The problem with this is these figures are for Stron. Ranelate, and I'm not sure if Strontium Citrate is considered exactly the same. The article I'm referring to is from the journal of clinical densitom, so maybe you could look up strontium adjustments for dxa using that journal name. If I recall correctly the adjustment is around 10% but don't quote me on that, try and find it in the journal. I don't know of any scanning clinic that will actually use the adjustment figures, but you can try anyway.

Good luck...

[url]http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstr %20act&list_uids=16939400[/url]

Last edited by DesertBloom; 10-03-2007 at 01:52 PM.

Old 10-05-2007, 10:26 AM   #10
    karin6167
    (female)

karin6167 HB User

Desert Bloom! This article was soooo very very helpful. It printed out 11 pages and I will hold on to it till I meet with my doc or have my DEXA. Where do you come up with this stuff? I thought I was good at finding answers on the internet. You win the prize.
    Karin

Old 10-05-2007, 02:54 PM   #11
    DesertBloom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi Karin: Glad I could help!! Which article are you referring to the PubMed link above or are you talking about the one in the Journal of Clinical Densitom?

As far as finding things I think I'm just lucky and very persistent If you need any more help just holler...

I like doing research, so I do a lot of it. I used to do that for a leaving a long time ago in the legal field.

Hope you find everything you're looking for

Last edited by DesertBloom; 10-05-2007 at 02:55 PM.

Old 10-06-2007, 08:20 AM   #12
    karin6167
    (female)

karin6167 HB User

It was the densitom article, put out by the Servier Laboratories. If you see anything more, please let me know. I am taking the strontium and Boniva and I would be interested if you find anything like that.
    Karin

Old 10-06-2007, 02:29 PM   #13
    DesertBloom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi Karin: Boy this is going to be a tough one, I don't think I've read anything on combining Stron Citrate and Boniva, but I'll look. Did your dr at Mayo give you any hint of research on the two. Up till now, all the testing points to taking osteo meds seqentially, because most of the head to head testing on bisphosphonates and anabolics led to the belief that they could blunt or hinder meds like forteo. I'm not sure if you could call Stron Citrate a anabolic, but in that other article I gave you, it states that Stron Ranelate has anabolic actions on bone architecture, so if it doesn't fall into a anabolic class it still has that type of affect.

I'll let you know if I find anything, and let me know if your dr sends you any info on it. Maybe you could email him again and ask-since he seems so agreeable.

Old 10-07-2007, 08:33 AM   #14
    karin6167
    (female)

karin6167 HB User

I think I overstayed my welcome for another reply from Mayo. My radiologist and my OBGYN feel that the strontium would not fight the Boniva and might help. Both feel it wouldn't hurt. If I were still taking Forteo they agreed one would counteract the other. It will be hard to find anything on this, I know, I've been searching but neither doctor have anything stating how Boniva and strontium are good together. My concern is that I would loose benifit from Boniva if I took strontium and that they would conteract eachother. They both say no that shouldn't happen. Please keep in touch if you see anything. I really appreciate your help.
    Karin

Old 10-09-2007, 09:44 AM   #15
    CrohnieToo
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CrohnieToo HB User

I had great results w/two years on Forteo. My Endo and I opted to go a 3rd year on Forteo. I won't risk an oral bisphosphonate due to my Crohn's disease. I'm not wild about having to go on an infusable bisphosphonate after my 3rd year on Forteo. I so wish they'd get strontium ranelate trialed and approved in the USA!!! I assume no American drug company is interested in it nor involved in its production??

Closed Thread