It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Seeking Ideas on Burning Sensation; Chest/Upper Back Area

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-13-2007, 07:02 AM   #91
    CHKUEHN1
    (female)

CHKUEHN1 HB User
    Re: Seeking Ideas on Burning Sensation; Chest/Upper Back Area

yesterday I went back to the Chiropractor and this time he did a cervical decompression. This was the first thing that I have actually noticed a difference. I am not pain free but it eased the crushing pressure I feel in my chest and decreased the pain alittle. I went back this morning and had it done again. I could have laid there all day.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2007, 01:28 PM   #92
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

chk & all, Terrable morning, went to stay night with my daughter who is attending school 40 minutes away(way out in the country), woke up this morning rolled over felt a snap/crack in shoulder area. Knew I was probably in trouble, sure enough got up ten minutes later boom could not move arm, my sister(whom my daughter is going to school form her house) took a look at my rib area & said wow does your doctor know how swollen that gets? NO doctor has bothered to look, although I keep telling them it hurts & so on... well everyone left waited four hrs. took meds put ice & hot moist compresses on , got into my car & knew when I put the seatbelt on I was probably not going to make it, got 1 mile down the rd. lifted my arm & thought I would pass out from the pain, heart rate was going like crazy, turned around went back to my sisters she sat with me till my sister in law came to give me a ride home. So I scheduled my ct scan & told myself I am done waiting for these doctors to help give me relief, I am looking into theraputic massage & possably going back to the chiropracter. Just can't sit around letting it ruin my life, one more time of missing work & I am done, so wish me luck! Don't know if I am doing the right thing but can't wait around anymore. Have reached beyond desperate. CHK, let me know howw you are doing with the chiropracter, I went last fall & winter did get some relief but never lasted long & got pretty expensive. Good Luck, Sammy

Old 09-13-2007, 03:01 PM   #93
    CHKUEHN1
    (female)

CHKUEHN1 HB User

Sammy, thats terrible! I think you should have went straight to the emergency room. They could have ordered CT &/or MRI or whatever is needed from the ER. Sometimes you need to press Dr's to check things even when they dont offer. When you tell them about the swelling in the rib area, dont wait for them to ask to see it, just show them. Keep us posted!

Old 09-13-2007, 06:16 PM   #94
    chablis3
    Veteran
    (female)

chablis3 HB User

CHK, I am so glad to hear you got some relief from the treatments at the chiopractors. Maybe a few more will have you feeling much better. I wish you luck and hope they work for you.

Sammi, I feel so bad for you. I just can't imagine why you are having all that swelling in the rib and chest area. I am glad you did turn around and go back to your sister-in-laws; being in that much pain and with your heart racing....that is very scary. Maybe you should have gone to the ER like CHK suggested; they probably would have done a CAT scan right then and there. Good thing you did go ahead and schedule one, though; maybe that will show something. I can imagine how your struggling to keep you job. You have a lot of pressure on you with the job and trying to find out what is causing your pain.

My latest is: Went to the rehab doctor and he reviewed my MRI. He did show me the film, and I do have a herniated disc in the lower back and also a couple of degenerating discs. The one is really bulging out. He suggested the epidural shots, and then today I went to see the doctor that gives them. So, Monday I am scheduled for the first one, then another one the following Monday. I have had these type of shots before, but only in my neck area and middle back. I asked the doc that gives the shots (a woman) about my leg pain and she said she isn't sure if that pain as well as the pain in my side under breast is from the herniated disc or not! She said the only way to tell is to have the shot and see what kind of relief I get. At least she was honest. So, here we go again and I feel like Sammy....my trust in doctors is going down hill fast!

Take care and my best. I wish you both well.

Judy

Old 09-14-2007, 05:07 AM   #95
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Chb & CHK, thanks guys, the nearest emergency room would have been like an hour away, I knew it was the pain causing the heart to race not to mention being behind the wheel, I was pretty desperate to get out of the car. What ever snapped in the scapula area is keeping this pain going. Don't know ladies I guess my frustration level is at the highest it has been, tired of waiting forever for these docs, then they all lecture me about being careful about the pain meds, which I am super careful & can't wait to get off them.
    I will tell you I took half a xanax for the anxiety when I got out of the car. Heck I was a nervous wreck. Don't you find it funny the doc's lecture about the meds, but move slow as a turtle trying to get control of the problem.

I am glad you both have hope with the chiro & injections, I am going to try the massage therapy (hope insurance will pay) then maybe chiro, beats sitting around waiting for doc's to make up their minds. I am sure you both understand how bad I want my life back. My husband starts radiation tuesday, he will be tired & I need to be able to contribute more so I can't sit & wait anymore. I don't want him worrying about things I want him to focus on himself. wish me luck, Sammy

Old 09-14-2007, 06:22 AM   #96
    CHKUEHN1
    (female)

CHKUEHN1 HB User

Although I did feel some relief from the cervical decompression table, I started hurting again last night and this morning I feel terrible. The chiropractor is closed on Fridays. Lots of spasms today. I have a busy day at work so I know it will only get worse as the day goes on. From what I have read, it usually takes at least 10-15 sessions to notice a significant difference.

I have been checking on getting deep tissue massage therapy. I spoke with someone in PT at our local hospital and was told insurance will cover it with a diagnosis of Lymphedema. Not sure what other diagnosis's may work but heard it is hard to get insurance to cover it and you cant go to just any massage therapist. I truly believe I could benefit from massage therapy so Im gonna try it before long.

Old 09-15-2007, 04:57 AM   #97
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

chk, I am looking into the massage therapy this week, since I have mega medical bills I hope the insurance pays, if not I will see about getting something like it through pt or chiro. At this point what do I have to loose, going to put new tread up see if anyone else tried it & with what results. Please let me know when or if you start & how it is going, sorry your suffering so much, really tires you out don't it? I have to find clothes I can wear for fall with out a bra, really sick of this not being able to wear a bra stuff, lots of clothes I can't wear because of it. Sammy

Old 09-18-2007, 06:16 AM   #98
    CHKUEHN1
    (female)

CHKUEHN1 HB User

Just checking in to see how everyone is doing. I am still seeing the chiropractor. Not sure how much its helping my symptoms. I have good days & bad. We bought a hot tub a couple of months ago to put in our sunroom and finally got it hooked up and running this past weekend. Im hoping it will help my back or at least give me some temporary relief.

Hope you have a good day!

Old 09-18-2007, 05:52 PM   #99
    chablis3
    Veteran
    (female)

chablis3 HB User

Hi everyone! Just a hello, and wanted to catch up with you all. There was some mention of having the deep tissue therapy and it reminded me that I tried that, but only went twice. It actually hurt as the girl was really digging into my muscles. Were you told to drink a lot of water afterwards? They say you have to to help get rid of the toxins that are stirred around from the massage. It would be worth you gals trying it, though. Might help!

Sammy, you mentioned about wearing a bra...which I hate to wear myself, but I found some really nice sports bras in a magazine I received in the mail. I got a couple as they are really cheap, and also bought one with magnets sewn in the back part. Haven't tried that one yet, but the others are so comfy. You just pull them over your head...no straps, and they wash nice. The company does have a web site, but I am not sure if I can mention it on here. Do you know if it is ok to do so? I think you might like these bras.

CHK, I do envy you with that hot tub! Hope you find time to get in it often, and hope it helps with your pain. Have you ever thought of trying a TENS machine? I was using my sister's, and now ordered one of my own. I found that helped some with my back. You can also order them on the internet at a fair price.

Here's my news....went yesterday for my first epidural injection in the lower back. They gave me something to relax me through an IV, but I didn't feel any different as to the relaxation part. It doesn't put you to sleep; just relaxes you. I didn't even feel the shot itself, and was surprised when the doctor said ok, your done! I was scared it might hurt in the lower back, but it did't at all. I did have a restless night, though, had a headache and was a bit anxious all night and a little queasy. The dr's office called today to see how I was, and the nurse said that is a common side effect of the steroid med and the stuff they give you to relax you. I felt goos today though, and just got a brand new mattress, so I hope I get some sleep tonight. I might have another injection next month if I am still in pain...if I need it.

So, my best to you gals, and hope something soon works for you both. I know how frustrating it is!! Good luck to your hubby, Sammy, and you take that half of Zanax if you need it! That won't hurt you...you can always stop taking them when you feel better. I took Ativan for awhile years ago, and got off them ok.

Thinking of you both, and take care!

Judy

Old 09-19-2007, 04:23 AM   #100
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

chab, it is so nice to go on here & read someone feels good, even for the day, I hope the injection helps you. I can't wear any bras at all, anything around the rib area hurts, I wear a cami with a built in bra & believe it or not that elastic by the end of the evening bothers my rib area, I looked at clothes the other day, got depressed have to wear real loose tops or you can notice I do not have a bra on, good bye to all the sweaters I bought last year. I bought a new matress shortly after this problem occured, my husband was so hoping it was my problem, of course it was not but still enjoy having the matress.
    Wish I had a hot tub, I am not sure I would get out of the thing though. Went for ct scan, had to lift my arm over my head, ouch, had to use the other arm to bring it back down. I have heard people say they have went years before any doctor made a diagnosis, I can't imagine years in this pain. I have an appointment monday but I am not looking forward to it, I just about give up on doctors, that sounds terrable I know but I can't help but think I will be passed on next to a rhuem. doctor, or pain managment. Oh well its nice to come on & hear someone is getting relief. I bought a new bra, I hung it on the back of my closet door & can't wait for the day I can put it on.
    Sammy

Old 09-19-2007, 06:49 AM   #101
    CHKUEHN1
    (female)

CHKUEHN1 HB User

Chab, good to hear you are getting some relief. When I had the epidural of my T & C spines, I did not have an IV. They just used a local to deaden that area and it didnt really bother me at all... especially since it was so fast. IV's are more painful for me than the actual epidural so Im glad I didnt have to go that route. I was uncomfortable a few days from the T spine epidural but only a day or so from the C spine. I cant say that either really helped me much. The biggest thing I noticed was that the steroid has increased my appetite and I am gaining weight.

Sammy, Let us know when you hear from your CT. It is a good idea to find a good sports bra. Wearing a good support bra increases the lymphatic drainage within the breast. But some people feel like wearing a bra is not good for you so who knows. Mine irritates the rib area too (when Im having alot of rib discomfort related to my back problem) but it hurts worse when I go without a bra. So I guess it would be an individual decision.

Old 09-19-2007, 01:26 PM   #102
    chablis3
    Veteran
    (female)

chablis3 HB User

CHK....I never had any injection to relax me when I went to the neurologist for shots in my neck, and I got through it ok. This place I went for the lower back is a new place, and I guess this is their procedure. But, I really don't think I need it next time as I didn't feel any different relaxation wise! And, your right, they rubbed something on my skin and the shot went so fast, I didn't even notice it. The only thing I noticed different from this shot is that I did have a bad headache all night, and was a bit anxious. The next day I also noticed my face was red looking around the cheeks, but today that is gone. I am bad at keeping track of what was in the shots the neurologist was giving me....they might have been cortisone, where this one was a steroid injection. Maybe that is why the mild side effects this time? Yes, I also read that the steroid injections can make you gain weight, which I don't need, but I am not going to worry about that just now.....I am just glad I found a bit of relief from the pain!

Have a good day!

Old 09-19-2007, 01:46 PM   #103
    chablis3
    Veteran
    (female)

chablis3 HB User

Sammy, I know what you mean about not being able to wear the clothes you want to. I wear all my clothes loose...I can't stand anything tight on me anymore. I am thinking that you sound like you have some nerve damage going on since you have all that pain anound the rib area. That is what my neurologist suggested to me when I first started complaining about the burning, crampy, pain under my breast area. That has gone away now, thank goodness, and I am not even sure why, but I am glad! I only get a sore feeling now and then in that area, but it does go away. I was reading someplace that sometimes a hernaited disc will heal on it's own, and sometimes it takes 6 months or so. I have to wonder if this is actually true! I can't see how that can happen...especially since we can't lay in bed 6 months and do nothing! Oh yes, I definitely know what you mean about giving up on doctors. I am tired of getting the bills in the mail. But, seems the only route we can go is what we have been doing...the pain management, the chiopractors, the shots, etc! What else is there, except maybe making a decision to go have surgery right off the bat? I almost would do that if I could find a good doctor that would tell me that would correct my problem with my disc's. It gets so frustrating and expensive seeing all these other people.

Took me a long time to find out I did have a herniated disc/degenerating ones too, and I am peicing it all together in my mind that this can cause all kinds of aches and pains that move around here and there in the body...as well as affect the nerves. I wish a doctor would have sat me down and told me all that long ago!!

Don't give up, though, Sammy. When you go to your appointment Monday, speak your mind and ask all kinds of questions . Make that doctor listen to you!! Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Talk soon!

Old 09-20-2007, 05:02 AM   #104
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

chab & chk, I do have disc problems but the docs. say not bad enough to cause all this pain & inflammation. That is what we are looking for the problem, or @ the very least the solution. My sister went through something simulair it took years before they repeated tests & found it was indeed the disks. She had the same problem in the breast & rib area. I wish my problem would just disaapear on its own, I would throw the biggest party just to celebrate being pain free. That time of the month has come around so everything is worse. I dread it. I plan on asking the doc . monday some questions although whether he will have answers or not is another story. I am going to insist some kind of treatment be attempted at the very least. My ROM is just getting worse on the left side. My work wants me to increase my hours, I do not even want to think about that. I told them I would let them know after mondays appointment. I am off to grab an ice pack, good luck ladies. Sammy

Old 09-20-2007, 03:22 PM   #105
    Norene Maher
    (female)

Norene Maher HB User

Hi, I swell in the rib and breast area all the time. I was diagnosed with ankylosing spondylitis. The swelling in this area is from my spine and ribs inflamming at the same time and cause the breasts to swell.( which I do not need more of). I too live and sleep with ice and am currently taking celebrex.
    hope you are better. Norene

Closed Thread