It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board

• Any relief for nerve damage?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-19-2007, 10:18 PM   #16
    Motoxtriplex
    (male)

Motoxtriplex HB User
    Re: Any relief for nerve damage?

Yeah that is correct in my case I have small fiber neuropathy that was verfied from a surgical biopsy done by my DR and this company Therapath.com was the one who examined the specimen. You should go there and read the information on the the therapath site. Basically my PN covers my feet,calfs,legs,arms,back,chest I also have the autonomic small fiber nerve damage that destroyed the nerves in the stomach so I have gastric paresis. Anyways there are different types of neuropathys you have the large nerve fibers that are mylenated and are responsible for like balance and muscle contraction etc and then the small sensory fibers which are not mylenated aka do not have a protective wrapping around them and are can be easliy fried because they are not protected. These small nerves are responsible for all your pain sensations that you feel, shooting shocking burning, throbbing, etc etc. They first ran an EMG test and it came back fine, however EMG only test LARGE nerve fibers and NOT small..... I was able to pinpoint in my case the exact day I got sick and rule out other causes (there is only about a dozen things that cause neuropathy) to something that I was taking that that caused my toxic poisioning. I cannot say what since I am in litigation with the company. Right now I am on Methadone I tried the other narcotics didnt do much but methadone has this NMDA atagonsim for nerve pain, and I take Lyrica, Nortriptiline, zofran, Lidocaine patches, and I am going to probably be having a lidocaine infusion and if that does not work a ketamine infusion I believe here shortly. Unfortunetly there really is not any medication that exists to really knock out nerve pain at the moment. Hopefully something in the future,,, they do have something callied Prialt Zicondine like a toxin from a snail but it is only available in the pain infusion pump into the spine and can have some nasty side effects like hallucinations that they have to monitor etc. Any other questions feel free to ask =)

Last edited by Motoxtriplex; 09-19-2007 at 10:19 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2007, 04:33 AM   #17
    anwis67
    (female)

anwis67 HB Useranwis67 HB Useranwis67 HB Useranwis67 HB Useranwis67 HB User
    Re: Any relief for nerve damage?

Thanks for writing me back. I am in the process of being tested by therapath also. I hope that my family physician will do the test. I gave him the info. and he said that if he can't do it, he will find someone for me. My neurologist didn't think it was neccessary b/c it would not change my treatment. You say that you have autonomic involvement too. Do your feet change colors? The temp. seems to really affect mine. My neurologist got to see this last month first hand and he mentioned that i may have autonomic involvement too. I am also in litigation over my exposure which was chronic not acute. I take lyrica, nortriptilyne, and darvacet currently which works ok. But we have to keep increasing the lyrica b/c my body seems to be adapting to the dose pretty quickly. I had my first symptom in 2004 and in Jan 2006 got the real wake-up call. I don't hold out much hope for recovery, so i just do the best i can and take one day at a time.

Old 09-21-2007, 01:17 PM   #18
    CAROLYN000
    (female)

CAROLYN000 HB User
    Smile Re: Any relief for nerve damage?

I am using Anodyne Therapy. I have no pain in my feet but it has not
    helped the numbness and balance. You can rent the unit for two
    months to see if it relives the pain before you buy it. I am also on
    oxygen which might have helped. Medicare covers oxygen.

Carolyn

Last edited by CAROLYN000; 09-21-2007 at 01:18 PM.

Closed Thread