It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Hormonal Cystic Acne Anonymous 'AA' club - lost and need help!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-27-2007, 11:05 AM   #1
    Anastacia15
    (female)

Anastacia15 HB User
    Hormonal Cystic Acne Anonymous 'AA' club - lost and need help!!!

Well, I'm Stacy and now at the age of 20 my hormonal acne is getting worse, and i am beginning to think that there should be an AA support group, not Alcoholics Anonymous, but Acne Anonymous.

It began for me i think aruound 15/16 but has basically just got worse. I have light bumps on the forehead almost under the skin, but mainly large red spots that rarely ever come to a white head on the chin and sometimes neck. Now by all means there are probably people out there with it alot worse, but i just don't know what i am doing wrong. It got to the point where i have asked my mother to stop asking about my skin for the sake of superstition and i look at teens around me (at university) who drink, smoke and eat only takeaways and processed food and begrudge them just a tad.

I have tried all manner of antibiotic concoctions over the years, B vitamins, starflower etc. I don't eat dairy, i drink lots and lots of filtered water, i don't drink or smoke, i eat loads of green veg, and plenty of fruit - the list of things i don't do or eat far out weighs what i do. I exercise once a day, and walk a mile everyday too with my dog, i live in a clean environment and i use dermalogica products. My doctor is an arse who knows nothing about anything nor my name without help(what would these damn people do if you took their computers they wouldn't know what to prescribe) and dermatologists little improve the situation the last one i saw was a dried up old coot who wasn't worth the 120 i forked out!!!!

I believe i am immune by now to anti biotics but have recently started taking spirolactone 100mg, erythromycin, and differnin topically. I have been on this medication for about two months and at first it seemed to improve no more spots on the chin - and when its okay i try to stay away from the forums again supersitiously. Something i should mention is that my periods are completely irratic even more so recently, and my chin has loads more lumps - i know its linked, but i am just running out of options. I have asked my doctor for roaccutane, who said i have to keep to the system, and have to wait another month or so before i can be tested, he even had the audacity to say to me well you have had it for years whats another month!!!!!!!! Like so many people, i am an attractive girl who is clever and rational about most things but i can honestly say this is ruining my life. I cry whenever i think about it when i am alone, and all i see when i look at myself are spots, and even during that rare moment when there aren't any i am looking and waiting for them to appear.....because i know there isn't an end.

Anyone who has any ideas, plans, diet help, drugs etc - i will do anything to end this, please help and please share your experiences and trauma's.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2007, 02:36 PM   #2
    amethystle
    (female)

amethystle HB User
    Re: Hormonal Cystic Acne Anonymous 'AA' club - lost and need help!!!

I very much understand how you feel. Try MaMa lotion - I have only been using it for a week and it has already really helped me. I just wrote a whole post about it if you want to give it a look.

Also, birth control pills greatly helped my skin. If you are having hormonal problems and have not yet tried this, yo umight want to look into it. I take ortho tri-cyclen.

Last edited by amethystle; 10-01-2007 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Added info

Old 10-05-2007, 10:32 AM   #3
    scars1982
    (female)

scars1982 HB User

Hi Stacy,

This is all the stuff I knoe about acne (the cystic kind):
    1. It may be caused by a mite called human demodex. I know it sounds gross but 96% of the population has these on their face. It can get out of hand when you are stressed, have excess hormones (ie birth control) or have a weakened immune system from medication.
    2. If you think this might be your case, do a search for demodex and do a little research. There is a site called demodex solutions with a message board with tons of people with the same problems as you but thet also have a treatment aimed specifiically for this stuff. The products that they sell do contain some anti-biotics though so if you think you are immune it might not work but it is up to you.
    3. There is also a plant called ************ which also kills this mite off and there websites which sells actual "Acne Kits" to get rid of the problem.
    That is what I am taking, as ************ is an immunity booster and horone regulator.There are creams, soaps, oils and capsules too.
    4. One more thing, I went to the dermatologist to get a cortisone injection on a couple of my cysts but then they came back. So whrn i went to the health food store I asked the lady why that would be. She said that the cortisone and all the medications I have been on just put the mites to sleep and than when it wears off, they wake up. Interesting.
    5. If you try this stuff, it will give your immune system a chance to get stronger and build up immunity to this. I've read alot of stuff that says the more medication a person is on, the more suppressed their immune system becomes.
    I truly hope that this helps. Just a little warning, if you try either of these methods it may start to clear up and then it may flare up again. But that is good because it means your body is healing itself and getting rid of this crap.

Old 10-06-2007, 09:48 PM   #4
    Beth Ann
    (female)

Beth Ann HB User

I've suffered for over 20 years of it, and finally have discovered that dairy products (mostly milk and ice cream) are what was causing mine. I'm serious. I've given it up - and no more acne. Then I added it back to my diet, as a little test, and BAM! Guess what happened. Yep. A huge cyst on my chin. It's finally gone, and I'm done with dairy products. This might not be everybody's case, but I'm pretty sure that it's what was causing my problems.

Old 10-09-2007, 06:09 PM   #5
    Jenna73
    (female)

Jenna73 HB User

I've had acne for 20 years now, throughout the young years into adulthood. I occasionally get a whitehead here and there, but I find the once in a while cystic acne to be brutal! Every time I get a cystic acne, I go to the dermatologist to get the 'magic' shot on the pimple. It goes away within 48 hours. Cystic acnes are hormonal. I know this, I probably would benefit from birth control pills, but I don't want to be on a birth control pill program. In hind site, I would have really benefited from Accutane, as recommended by dermatologists I'd seen over the years. I should have taken accutane when I was younger to minimize the would-be scars. If antibiotics are not working for you, the please stop taking them. Consider Accutane. About the milk and dairy theory... It's great that it works for some people... for me, I never drink milk or rarely intake much dairy products, especially when I used to break out a lot when I was younger. So personally I can't say that dairy contributed to my acne. I know diet does effect us in so many ways but for me it's hormonal and genetic, and stress. Best wises!

Old 10-22-2007, 02:58 PM   #6
    missyjta4
    (female)

missyjta4 HB User

I can totally empathize with you. I have five cysts right now on my chin that are very painful. I am tryin tazorac (a form of retinoid vit. A cream) and it helped at first (eight weeks into it and still breaking out). Don't get discouraged because you are still young. My acne didn't start until I was 25 and pregnant with my second son. My derm immediately put me on accutane after my preganancy and I was clear for four years. I am 38 now and have suffered on and off for the past 8 years and I know it's hormonal. I'm trying to get to the root of my problem since I really don't want to go on another round of accutane. However, now that I'm older I seem to be scarring from my current breakouts over the last six months. Some people go on accutane and their acne never returns. Good luck!

Closed Thread