It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• wheat and cholesterol

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-09-2007, 06:40 AM   #16
    The Mayor
    (male)

The Mayor HB User
    Re: wheat and cholesterol

Rheanna,
    Is there any way you could post or send me your exact recipe for the yeast bread? I think the rules allow for a posting of a recipe although I am not 100% sure. Can your recipe be made in a bread machine? I would love to get a recipe from Germany since that is my heritage.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2007, 08:46 AM   #17
    rheanna
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User

The Mayor,

My recipe is based on weighing things -- metric, because that is more accurate than scooping flour into measuring cups. And it's so European!

300 gm buckwheat flour, 100 gm teff, 50 gm rice flour, 50 gm tapioca flour, 100 gm non-fat non-instant powdered milk, 1 tsp salt, 1 Tbsp guar gum, 50 gm ground flax seed. Mix thoroughly. Dissolve 20 gm (1/2 cube) fresh yeast in 550 ml warm water with 2 Tbsp sugar. Whisk in 2 small eggs, and 1/4 cup or 60 ml cold-pressed canola oil. Stir in dried ingredients. Cover and let rise in 50°C (120°F) oven. Let 2 greased glass bread pans warm in oven at the same time. When dough is doubled in size, divide between the two bread pans, cover them and let sit until almost to the top of the bread pans. Bake 1 hour in 150°C (300°F) oven. Remove immediately from bread pans and cool on rack.

The key to baking without gluten (wheat) is trying to get the right proportions of dry to liquid ingredients. Any time you subsitute other flours, you need to experiment to get the right amount of liquid. Too much liquid and the dough won't support its own weight -- use the resulting sagging loaves as crumblies over casseroles. Too little liquid and you have door stoppers -- suitable for croutons for the salad. This is why weighing and measuring the water is important -- there's no kneading step (kneading is necessary to develop the gluten to give wheat bread its structure) so you don't have a chance to adjust the amount of flour as you do with wheat bread.

Use this as a springboard for getting the taste and ingredients that suit you. Happy baking!

PS. You'll have to experiment with liquid to dry proportions for the bread machine. I seem to recall that they recommend dry package yeast (very expensive here which is why I use fresh yeast kept in the freezer for longer storage).

--Rheanna

Last edited by rheanna; 10-09-2007 at 08:49 AM. Reason: added PS

Old 10-09-2007, 02:58 PM   #18
    Red60
    Veteran
    (male)

Red60 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Allison965 View Post
    Wow! I am more confused than ever! I realize that there are other ways to get whole grains in your diet besides eating wheat bread, but how much oatmeal and brown rice can one eat? Everything I have read says to "add" whole grains, not to eliminate them. I was hardly eating any whole grains before, so I have no idea what this will do to my numbers when I get tested again
    Look at where the recommendations for all those servings of grain are comming from.......... Then think about this as a possible reason for all the conflicting information. When the goals of human health and the business of agriculture clash the government may not be the most unbiased mediator. Remember the AMA did not take an anti-smoking stand until the mid 60s even though there was research linking smoking to cancer as far back as 1930.

I think moderation is probably the best way to approach carbs.

Last edited by Red60; 10-09-2007 at 03:00 PM.

Old 10-09-2007, 03:04 PM   #19
    Red60
    Veteran
    (male)

Red60 HB User

Rheanna,

Thanks for the recipe It sounds like you've spent a great deal of time getting it worked out.

Old 10-09-2007, 05:11 PM   #20
    Allison965
    (female)

Allison965 HB User

Well I wasn't eating white rice or white bread before. I really wasn't that much of a carb eater at all. I ate mostly salads, but with lots of cheese and full fat salad dressing. That is why I had to "add" whole grains to my diet. I don't even like bread or rice that much, but had to add the wheat bread and brown rice to start eating more whole grains. I have not gained any weight as a result. Won't it be funny if my numbers are worse after all of this?

Old 10-09-2007, 05:14 PM   #21
    Allison965
    (female)

Allison965 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Red60 View Post
    Look at where the recommendations for all those servings of grain are comming from.......... Then think about this as a possible reason for all the conflicting information. When the goals of human health and the business of agriculture clash the government may not be the most unbiased mediator. Remember the AMA did not take an anti-smoking stand until the mid 60s even though there was research linking smoking to cancer as far back as 1930.

I think moderation is probably the best way to approach carbs.
    Moderation -- I am doing my best! I just want to eat healthy. With all the conflicting information, it is hard to do!

Closed Thread