It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• How much fish oil should I take?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-04-2003, 03:30 PM   #16
    Miriam

Miriam HB User
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by hunter44:

Everything that I have read is that to get the necessary omega-3's you need about an ounce of it a day which is about 9 to 12 caps.

Hi hunter,

I think I've told you before in my past posts, but maybe I'm remembering wrong...I DID try the low carb plan, for almost one year. My numbers didn't change one bit. Honestly! I'm certainly happy that you are one of the people that found out that your bad numbers were due to your diet. But there are others of us out there who have this as a hereditary thing. I was so hoping that my numbers could be controlled through diet (low carb), but they can't be.

I don't believe I misunderstood ubierner. I too limit my carb intake (as well as calories and fat too). I don't eat "simple" carbs hardly ever anymore, etc, etc. No, I'm not as strict as Dr. Atkin's plan...I don't think that is healthy. You might think it is fine. That's ok too.

And where did you read that people should take an OUNCE of Omega 3's per day? I can't tell you how many hours I have spent reading and searching on the web to investigate this stuff, and I have never, ever seen amounts suggested at that high of an amount. The largest recommended amount to lower triglycerides using Omega 3 was 4000 mg (4 grams) per day. Do you realize that one ounce equals 28.35 grams??? My goodness...I'd be taking FIFTY SIX capsules per day of my Carlson's Omega 3 capsules. (each capsule has about 500 mg of Omega 3- 500 mg X 56 = 28 grams.)

If you could let me know where you read that, I'd be very interested in checking it out! I don't want to waste my time here, but everything I've read says that 3 g. per day is a very good amount to reduce triglycerides.

Are you taking Flax seed oil to lower your triglycerides? From my investigation, I've found that flax seed oil isn't beneficial to lower your numbers. Apparently they contain a "shorter string" of Omega 3's...not as good as the "longer strings" that Fish oil has. I don't pretend to understand all this stuff, just telling what I've read.

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2003, 03:33 PM   #17
    Miriam

Miriam HB User
    Hi again arizona,

I too agree that carbs must be limited. But everyone has a different idea about how low to limit carbs to. How many carbs per day do you feel a person should limit themselves to? (not taking Atkin's plan here, just looking for a reasonable number.)

Only reason I'm asking you is because you seem to know an awful lot about this stuff. I have appreciated your advice so far!

Thanks!

Old 02-04-2003, 05:11 PM   #18
    ARIZONA73
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

ARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB User
    Miriam--Since everyone is different, appropriate carbohydrate intake can vary considerably from person to person, so I have no way of knowing what your ideal intake should be. Avoid starches and refined carbohydrates, those foods made with white flour or contain added sugar. These are the real villains, your very worst enemies. Candy, chips, snacks, cookies, cakes, pies, donuts are all taboo, and should be avoided. These foods can wreak some real havoc. These are high glycemic foods, and can cause your blood sugar to rise quickly. In response, your pancreas then excretes a good quantity of insulin to convert this excess sugar into a stored form of energy called glycogen. Although an essential body fuel, excess glycogen, unless quickly burned, can be converted into stored fat called triglycerides. So now you know which carbohydrates to stay away from. There are fruits and vegetables which have a low glycemic index, such as cherries, plums, grapefruit, lentils, kidney beans, pears, lima beans, chickpeas, apples, oranges, tomatoes, and grapes. These no doubt would be much better for you.

In the meantime, try to continue with the fish oil if you can. Pantethine can also be a valuable addition. I am sorry that your previous efforts of carbohydrate reduction have not yielded more positive results. But don't give up on carbohydrate restriction. The addition of the supplements can have a more pronounced impact if you continue with this approach. I wish you the best.

Old 02-04-2003, 07:53 PM   #19
    Miriam

Miriam HB User
    Hi arizona,

Thanks for your comments. Ok then, I'm on the right track with what I eat then. I do avoid the "goodies" like the plague. I'm not so strict as to not eat carrots, but I do avoid potatoes, etc. The bread that I eat is whole grain too. The majority of my diet consists of fruits and vegetables. I've never been much of a meat eater, but do eat chicken breast a few times per week. I do love dairy products, but only eat low fat cheese, egg beaters and fat free milk.

I have ordered the Pantethine that you recommended, and am also going to start the guggulipids too. (the Puritan's Pride ones).

Thanks again for your help!

Old 02-05-2003, 06:06 AM   #20
    CobaltBlue
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

CobaltBlue HB User
    Hunter (and Miriam) are both correct. I do limit my carbs now, instead of over-indulge or completely cut them out.

Last edited by mod-anon; 11-10-2007 at 03:46 AM. Reason: posted commercial website

Old 02-05-2003, 06:54 AM   #21
    hunter44
    Inactive

hunter44 HB User
    Miriam - I read it as I was doing research on omega 3's, either on one of the low carb boards or Mercola's site. I too didn't realize how much one should take. I also take borage oil to complement the flax, short string/long string 3's. By the way, low fat milk and cheeses can be high in carbs and trans fats, I really stay away from low fat foods, no milk. I have never seen anyone not benefit from a low carb plan in reducing trigs since they are directly related, posible I suppose, but I'm inclined to think insulin resistance.

The Following User Says Thank You to hunter44 For This Useful Post:
    Stan43 (03-17-2012)
    Old 02-09-2003, 11:13 AM   #22
    mingchi96

mingchi96 HB User
    somebody please help me no this real quick. The brand fish oil i recently bought, on the front it says 1000 MG. On the back under supplement Facts, it says

Natural Fish oil concentrate 2000 mg
    EPA 360mg
    DHA 240 mg

so... in one capsule of this brand of fish oil, how much fish oil am i getting?? 1000 mg, or 2000 mg, or 500??? Also in the suggested use it says to take 2 softgels 3x a day. meaning 6 tablets a day of fish oil. That's 6000 mg of fish oil. Thats a damn lot isnt it??

Old 02-09-2003, 03:47 PM   #23
    Miriam

Miriam HB User
    Quote:
    Originally posted by mingchi96:
    somebody please help me no this real quick. The brand fish oil i recently bought, on the front it says 1000 MG. On the back under supplement Facts, it says

Natural Fish oil concentrate 2000 mg
    EPA 360mg
    DHA 240 mg

so... in one capsule of this brand of fish oil, how much fish oil am i getting?? 1000 mg, or 2000 mg, or 500??? Also in the suggested use it says to take 2 softgels 3x a day. meaning 6 tablets a day of fish oil. That's 6000 mg of fish oil. Thats a damn lot isnt it??

Hi mingchi96-

Ok, I'm not an expert here...but from everything I've read, it's not the TOTAL mg's of the fish oil that you are taking that matters, it is the total amounts of Omega 3's that you are taking. That is calculated like this:

To calculate how much omega-3 fatty acid is contained in a fish-oil supplement, add together the amounts of EPA and DHA. For example, a typical 1,000-mg capsule of fish oil provides 180 mg of EPA and 120 mg of DHA (total omega-3 fatty acids = 300 mg). Ten of these capsules would contain 3,000 mg of omega-3 fatty acids.

So, from your example, your capsules contian 600 mg of Omega 3's...EPA 360mg PLUS DHA 240 mg.

Now, why are you taking these? If it is simply to enhance your health, then yes, 6 per day would be a HUGE amount. But if you are trying to lower your Triglycerides, taking 3000 mg of Omega 3's is what is recommended. So that would be 5 per day for your pills.

I am currently taking 6 capsules per day, which equals 3000 mg (or 3 grams) of Omega 3's per day. I have very high triglycerides, so that is why I am taking so much.

So far I've had zero problems with taking them and the rest of my pills that I'm taking. My next step I think is to try to take ALL of my 6 fish oil pills at once, say at bedtime. That way, I hope to keep my minor "fish burps" at a minimum. That is my only complaint in using these pills really.

I hope this helps a little...and if I'm wrong, then I'm sorry! This stuff IS very confusing! http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/dizzy.gif

EDITED TO ADD:...after reading your post again, I have one more question...on the back of your bottle, where it says 2000 mg of fish oils...does that say PER SERVING? And is the serving size TWO CAPSULES? If that is the case, than in TWO capsules, you would be taking 600 mg of Omega 3's. So (if that is indeed the case) to get 3000 mg per day of Omega 3's you would have to take TEN capusles. (600 mg per TWO capsules times 5x per day = 3000 mg of Omega 3's)

[This message has been edited by Miriam (edited 02-09-2003).]

Old 02-09-2003, 06:28 PM   #24
    mingchi96

mingchi96 HB User
    Im actually only 20 yrs old and I was just reading a book about brains and bout vitamins that I should take... etc. Im actually in very good health and I have no idea what the heck Triglycerides is... hahaah.. but I did catch something in the book which puts an emphasis on fish oil and the lack of it in most of America's diet and also vitamin E.

Now actually lookin gin the back, it does say serving size is 2 softgels, so I guess for me 4 tablets a day will be good right?? 1200 mg of omega 3 should be a healthy diet.
    so far, I've added on my diet daily 1200 mg of omega 3, 1000 IU of vitamin E, 1000 mg of vitamin C, 500 MCG of vitamin B-12, and 200 mg of B-12. and also a daily multivitamin. That should cover everything i need, i think.

Closed Thread