It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board

• Switching from Fosamax to Strontium

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-08-2007, 02:26 PM   #16
    peppurr
    (female)

peppurr HB User
    Re: Switching from Fosamax to Strontium

Quote:
    Originally Posted by turtlelady View Post
    I'll put in my two cents as one of those with "true" osteoporosis. My lumbar t score was an unimpressive -2.6. I fractured five vertebrae doing absolutely nothing. Both my parents had compression fractures and I was told that was a far more accurate predictor of my future. Dexa scans are of only limited use. There is so much variation from one machine to the next, compounded with conditions which can obscure the results (i was told my score was so "good" because of my arthritis), you've got to take your results with a rather sizable grain of salt. Good luck!
    Thanks for stopping by and giving your input turtlelady! I wish I had some history but I was adopted and unfortunately have nothing.

I noticed that about the machines when I was told that I'd have to have another scan in 3 yrs on the same machine Who knows if that machine will still be there or maybe I'll move!! This is all bordering on insanity.

Five fractures!! That must have hurt! Poor you!

Last edited by peppurr; 10-08-2007 at 02:27 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-08-2007, 06:52 PM   #17
    starfish81
    (female)

starfish81 HB User

Yes, thank-you to Turtlelady (ouch, I've heard vertebral Fx's are painful) for sharing this info. This lends credibility to the idea that T-scores are not necessarily a predictor of fracture risk. Turtlelady, I hope that something truly safe and effective will soon become available to help you ! Sending positive thoughts your way!

Old 10-08-2007, 07:40 PM   #18
    turtlelady
    (female)

turtlelady HB Userturtlelady HB Userturtlelady HB User

Thanks to you both for your good wishes. Actually, the first three I scarcely noticed, other than a persistent low-grade back ache. The fourth brought me to the ER in screaming agony. My mom probably broke every bone in her back and was totally mobile until she died. Other than the appearance, which was god-awful, it just never bothered her.I had fusion surgery (failed) in 2006 and am headed back for a "revision" (which seems to be the euphemism for fixing another surgeon's screw-up), probably early next year. Meanwhile, doing Forteo and walking couple hours a day. My orthopedist says he's sent people to France for strontium ranelate post Forteo. (Nice, if you can afford it!). Interestingly, nobody in my family has broken a hip.
    Bless you all for your kindness! Good luck to us all.

Old 10-11-2007, 07:48 PM   #19
    peppurr
    (female)

peppurr HB User

Hi Everyone!
    Well...I had the doctor's appt today. hehe. He told me I'm the best osteo patient he has - (thanks to all of YOU!)

I started off by telling him that my jaw started aching badly and he pretty much interrupted me and said "get off it". Blew the wind out of my sail!
    He told me that when any patient of his has any side effect - he gets them off it. I would guess he just gives them another of the same family. I didn't ask.

He didn't know anything about Strontium. Said he's heard of it but hasn't researched it. I asked him how long I should wait before going on Strontium and he said to be safe - 2wks to get out of your bloodstream but preferably a month. So I will wait a month. Note, he's saying this even though he doesn't know anything about it.

Interestingly enough, when I was waiting for the doctor, I picked up a medical magazine and flipped through it. Low and behold they had a 4 pg article on osteo, Actonel, Fosamax, Forteo and Strontium Retelate. They are working to approve the S Retelate in Canada. They figure this S Retelate will replace everything else.

Anyways, when I was talking about the Strontium and when he said he hadn't researched it - I handed him the article!

I also asked him about urine calcium tests and he said no. Sorry, I can't remember why - it was complicated and I had mind overload at that point.

In the article they also talked about weight bearing exercizes. They quoted a Doctor at McMasters University and he said while it's good to exercize it's not going to make much difference in your bone mass. That's the first time I've heard anything like that! Even my doctor today was stressing the walking which seems to be the general consensus. Also, in this article, they mentioned the possible side effect of jaw disease with Fosamax. They said it was extremely rare with only 0.8% getting it. I'm now thinking this magazine was put out by a pharmaceutical company. I should have checked.

Boy you sure can get conflicting info. I was just reading Karin's thread and she's saying a Doctor at the Mayo says you can take Boniva and Strontium at the same time!

I told my doctor I will start the Strontium Citrate in a month and try that for 3 yrs which is when I am due for another scan. I said maybe by that time Strontium Renelate will be available.

Old 10-13-2007, 08:31 AM   #20
    suzieuk45
    (female)

suzieuk45 HB User

Wow starfish - I'm impressed with your exercise regime. I decided I was too scared to ski so did cross country skiing last winter but I wasn't a very good skier in the first place - we don't have much snow in the UK! I manage to get to the gym 3-4 times a week and use the cross trainer which is like cross country skiing I think. Do you know if this is good for building bone density - I know cross country skiing is but until someone makes skis that go over grass I can't do much of that here! My hips were in the osteopenia range and spine -2.8. I think you are right about fracture risk and density not being the same thing. I crashed over last winter on ice cross country skiing and did not break anyway - it is a bit confusing. I am on Fosamax (not happy about it) but I won't be offered anything else (have posted another message on that subject). I think I will look into Pilates. Good luck

Closed Thread