It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Please help me understand these results

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-15-2007, 07:20 PM   #1
    ladyj2
    (female)

ladyj2 HB User
    Please help me understand these results

Hi,

I just had these faxed because they told me my iron was low but I don't know how to read this. For years I have always been cold, tired, and I get these electric shocks in my body periodically which I thought might be attributed to low iron or vitamin deficiency.

My Reading Reference range
    WBC 5.4 3.8- 10.8
    Rbc 4.32 3.80- 5.10
    hematocrit 35.3 35- 45
    MCV 82 80- 100
    MCHC 32.9 32-36
    Platelet Count 155 140-400

then it says
    HEMOGLOBIN AIC IMMUNOASSAY
    HEMOGLOBIN AIC 5.5

What are MCV, MCHC, and Hemoglobin AIC.

They had me do a stool sample, negative. They did not tell me to take iron or anything. Based on these tests do I need any further testing or am I just paranoid and there must be another reason for always being cold and tired?

Thanks in advance!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2007, 06:26 AM   #2
    ChristineVA
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User
    Re: Please help me understand these results

Your tests don't tell me if you are low in iron or not.

Based on your Hematocrit, you are in the very low end of normal. So this says that you are close to being anemic, but you are not.

Your RBCs are a good number (these would be lower in iron deficiency) and your MCV is in the normal range, yet on the small side.

You *could* be iron deficient but none of these tests will really tell that. You are not anemic at this point.

The Hemoglobin A1C is a test they usually do on diabetics to monitor their long term glucose levels. Do you know why they ran this test. It is different from a straight "Hemoglobin" test which checks for anemia. The Hemoglobin A1C is a blood sugar test.

Old 10-16-2007, 06:32 AM   #3
    Isis498
    Veteran
    (female)

Isis498 HB User

What about your B-12 level, ever had that done? Any thyroid tests? Both your symptoms could account for either of these. Why not ask for them if you have not.

The electric shock feeling especially. sounds very suspicious of a B-12 deficency.

Old 10-16-2007, 05:07 PM   #4
    ladyj2
    (female)

ladyj2 HB User

Thanks for your responses. Maybe they forgot to mail me another page of the report. They had told me my iron was low and said I probably have heavy periods, but I don't. I know years ago they used to ***** my finger when I was pregnant and I was at a 6 so I took iron. I have also wondered about my b12 and have been taking a liquid supplement called 5 hr energy every morning. I don't know how long that would take to increase my b12 levels thought. I have been complaining of being cold for years and they always test my thyroid which comes back normal. I just wish I had an answer.

Old 10-16-2007, 06:49 PM   #5
    OWL77
    (female)

OWL77 HB User

ladyj2,

Electrical shock feelings are a classic B12 deficiency symptom. I used to get them often, mostly in my head and down my left arm, before I started treatment for B12 deficiency. Many of my symptoms felt "electrical" to me, which I kept telling people, including doctors, but still ended up diagnosing myself with B12 deficiency (confirmed by blood test). Good luck.

Olwy

Last edited by Administrator; 09-20-2015 at 02:14 PM.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:08 PM   #6
    Tifferzz
    (female)

Tifferzz HB User

I have a question for you. You said that you would get the Electric Shocks from B12 Deficiency. I just found out the other week that I have B12 Deficiency and I was wondering about the Electric Shocks. When you got them, did it kind of feel like vibrations at all in your arms and hands? I get this sometimes in my arms and hands .... and sometimes it is pretty strong and when it's strong .... my index finger and middle finger kind of curl a little bit, like I cannot straighten my fingers for a few minutes until that vibration type feeling goes away. Did this happen to you at all? It's kind of like I have no control over those fingers for those few minutes when I get that feeling. Just seeing if yours was like this at all and was wondering if it was B12 related??

Last edited by Administrator; 09-20-2015 at 02:15 PM.

Old 10-17-2007, 03:44 PM   #7
    OWL77
    (female)

OWL77 HB User

Tifferzz,

I never had the symptom you describe. Once when I was watching TV, my left hand all on its own did a real fast flip flop. All I could do was stare at it and wonder what the heck was happening. It was before I had a diagnosis and was imagining all sorts of scary possibilities. The constant “current” in my body, and especially in my brain, never got so strong that I felt like I was vibrating. It just felt like I was plugged in and electricity was gently flowing through me. Once in awhile it would flare up and zap me. Sometimes it was totally focused in my head and it made me horribly nauseous. I can tell you that I’ve read of other people with B12 deficiency feeling like they were vibrating, so it wouldn’t surprise me if that’s what’s causing your vibrations. One leg symptom I did have constantly was twitching in my thighs. Ugh! That seems to have gone away, but now I sometimes have twitching in my rear end! And if I went outside when it was hot, it felt like someone was snapping rubber bands against my legs. Now what I’m dealing with in relation to my legs is sometimes they get really weak and feel heavy. That’s a scary one. All I can say is, it seems the more bizarre the symptom, and you have a B12 deficiency, the more likely it is that it’s caused by the deficiency. I hope this helps.

Last edited by Administrator; 09-20-2015 at 02:15 PM.

Closed Thread