It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board

• negative LP and ms DX

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-15-2007, 09:10 AM   #1
    fran629
    (female)

fran629 HB User
    negative LP and ms DX

Does anyone know if it's possible to have MS and have a negative LP?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-15-2007, 10:39 AM   #2
    MSJayhawk
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
    Re: negative LP and ms DX

You can have a negative LP and have MS. My LP has always been negative. I think 10% of MS patients have negative LPs.

Old 10-15-2007, 05:23 PM   #3
    kimpossible67
    Veteran
    (female)

kimpossible67 HB User

Yep, negative LP here. Dx'd with rrms in April. Everything else pointed to MS. Hang in there

Old 10-15-2007, 05:25 PM   #4
    tuckersmom
    Inactive
    (female)

tuckersmom HB User

Another negative LP here.

Old 10-15-2007, 05:30 PM   #5
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

me too, negative LP, positive for MS based on MRIs and other symtoms.

Old 10-15-2007, 06:44 PM   #6
    duttin
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

duttin HB Userduttin HB User

Negative LP for O-Bands,high myelin basic protein ang IgG synthesis.

Dx made on prior history of transverse myelitis and evoked potenyials.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:25 AM   #7
    fran629
    (female)

fran629 HB User

I was grasping at straws I guess. My daughter was diagnosed last Nov. one month after giving birth. We're hearing info about the possibility of lyme, but the lesions on her brain and spinal cord probably would rule that out. Will look into it further. Has anyone heard about this?

Old 10-16-2007, 11:33 AM   #8
    MSJayhawk
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

If your daughter's pregnancy masked the MS effects due to her estriol hormones, then MS could present itself as those hormones are no longer produced. Lyme disease should be tested because it can be treatable. Run the full battery of tests including the Evoked Potential test. A good MS doctor will be able to help you.

Old 10-16-2007, 11:37 AM   #9
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Hi Fran. Lyme is most often detected in the spinal fluid from a spinal tap...so having the spinal is a very good idea. One of the things that is most difficult about MS is diagnosing it...having the disease is a piece of cake, compared to getting a dx!
    When they dx MS, it is usually done after ruling out EVERYTHING else- and Lyme is a big one, because it mimics MS symtoms...so, having had the spinal tap, make sure that Lyme was checked...it also rules out brain infections, meningitis and other bacterial infections...so, it is a good test to have done.
    MRIs usually detect MS, along with evoked potentials....
    It is very possible, and even probable, that pregnancy masked any MS type symptoms, as MS does go into remission during pregnancy...
    please keep us posted. And, believe me, if your daughter does wind up with MS, its very controllable....lots of info to be found here, and we are more than willing to answer any questions you might have. Keep us posted!
    Nikki

Old 10-16-2007, 12:53 PM   #10
    Bearygood
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Bearygood HB UserBearygood HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fran629 View Post
    We're hearing info about the possibility of lyme, but the lesions on her brain and spinal cord probably would rule that out.
    Why would that rule out Lyme? That's part of the dilemma, isn't it, that visually (MRIs) and symptomatically both diseases can present exactly the same??

Old 10-16-2007, 02:50 PM   #11
    topsy123
    (female)

topsy123 HB User

My Evoked Potential test was negative, but my lumbar puncture positive. Can that be possible?....I asked my GP to test for Lyme, as this had been suggested to me as a possible diagnosis. The GP was more than happy to test for it, I had the bloods drawn, then they were sent off. I then got a phone call to say they would not do it. They said there was NO WAY I could have Lymes as I live in the UK and never been to America, so what on earth was the point of doing it. So her I am undiagnosed, with neither MS, or Lymes. The Rheumy said do I have a rash, I said no, so he said well you dont have Lupus then either...lol...So that leaves me wondering what actually does multiple white spots on my brain and spinal cord mean, along with a positive lumbar puncture....Answers on a postcard please, cause my neuro doesnt have a clue...(bless him)!......

Last edited by topsy123; 10-16-2007 at 02:54 PM.

Old 10-16-2007, 02:54 PM   #12
    Bearygood
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Bearygood HB UserBearygood HB User

Seriously? Then why is there a British Lyme Foundation? When I typed in Lyme Disease + UK, almost a million hits came up.

Can't answer your other questions but I certainly find that answer interesting!

Old 10-16-2007, 02:56 PM   #13
    topsy123
    (female)

topsy123 HB User
    Smile Re: negative LP and ms DX

My Evoked Potential test was negative, but my lumbar puncture positive. Can that be possible?....I asked my GP to test for Lyme, as this had been suggested to me as a possible diagnosis. The GP was more than happy to test for it, I had the bloods drawn, then they were sent off. I then got a phone call to say they would not do it. They said there was NO WAY I could have Lymes as I live in the UK and never been to America, so what on earth was the point of doing it. So her I am undiagnosed, with neither MS, or Lymes. The Rheumy said do I have a rash, I said no, so he said well you dont have Lupus then either...lol...So that leaves me wondering what actually does multiple white spots on my brain and spinal cord mean, along with a positive lumbar punture....Answers on a postcard please...Cause my neuro doesnt have a clue...(Bless him)....

Old 10-16-2007, 03:17 PM   #14
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Topsy, thats weird. Plain old weird. I have a girlfriend who lives in England, she has Lyme, and was dx there.....
    Also, yes, your evoked potentials can be negative (mine are) your spinal tap positive, and you can have MS....you can also have both negative Evoked and negative spinal tap, and have a positive amount of lesions, both in placement and shape, and come up with MS based on evaluation as well....thats kind of where I am. I was positively dx with MS a year ago. Clean Spinal Tap (also clean for Lyme), clean evoked potentials, but over 50 lesions on my brain and all the MS symtoms in the world in the clinical exam..
    Good luck.
    N

Old 10-17-2007, 09:26 AM   #15
    fran629
    (female)

fran629 HB User

Thanks so much for your info! I'm going to take a closer look at the LP results. Ahhh I think I'm more in denial than she is. She also had ascending "tingling" from her toes to her breastbone. Lots of steroids helped. Researching for the best MS doc now. She's seeing someone but it can't hurt to get another opinion.!?

Closed Thread