It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• Discrepancy between pap and colposcopy biopsy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-31-2007, 09:38 AM   #1
    peanut222
    (female)

peanut222 HB User
    Discrepancy between pap and colposcopy biopsy

I posted on this board about 3 months ago when I had a pap smear come back HGSIL 1 - 111 - severe dysplasia. This was my first abnormal pap. I had a colpo around Aug 10th and the biopsy came back completely clear - which is strange. My dr said I just needed to come back in 3 months and have another colpo due to this discrepancy. In the meantime I got married and was away on honeymoon etc. I scheduled a second opinion, but due to my schedule and ability to get an appt with the new dr, I just got in to see her this week. She seemed to be under the impression that this was a very serious situation, and that my pap showed "almost" cancer and she implied that something more should have been done. Now I am waiting on results from her pap. And I am terrified again. Have I and my original dr compromised my health? Could it have turned into cancer now? I want to have a baby next year. Anyone else experienced these sort of discrepancies??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-03-2007, 08:27 AM   #2
    curious70171
    (female)

curious70171 HB User
    Re: Discrepancy between pap and colposcopy biopsy

i had a pap smear about 2 months ago and i hadnt had one in 3 years... when my results of this one came back abnormal i was so scared. I ended up having the severe dysplasia also.. mine was called CIN III which is the worst before cancer. by just having a pap smear done they cant detect severe dysplasia so im not sure why your doctor told you that, they have to actually do a biopsy to tell what stage abnormal cells you have, if you did have that then yes something should have been done becuase my situation was similar. I had to get a LEEP procedure done, which is a deeper biopsy, sort of like a cone... your doctor definately should have done that if the colposcopy came up clear... they shouldnt be doing normal paps on you, ask them about the Leep procedure, that shows if its went deeper and they actually burn the cells off of your cervix. But as far as you have cancer, if you didnt 3 months ago you more than likely dont after 3 months because it takes years to develop... im only 21, i was scared i couldnt have kids but my doctor said i would be able to.

Closed Thread