It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Good News!!!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-07-2007, 12:42 PM   #1
    Tifferzz
    (female)

Tifferzz HB User
    Good News!!!!!

Hello all. I just got back from my appointment with the Hematologist. Last week when I was there he tested me for Pernicious Anemia. He also re-tested my B12 levels. Back on October 11 2007 my B12 Level was 172. Now it is 252!! Also he tested me for the Pernicious Anemia and it came back Negative. He wants me to start taking 1000 mcg's of B12 a day and also 325 mg's a day of Ferrous Sulfate. I stopped at the drug store on the way home and I got the 1000 mcg's of B12, however ..... I was scared to try 325 mg's of the Ferrous Sulfate so I got the "SLOW FE" and I am going to try that. It says on the back that it has 47.5 mg's in it. He said the best time to take the Iron is in the mornings after you eat breakfast. I asked him if you take it with the meal? He said no, take it after the meal. Does anyone know why?? I took a B12 when I got home, and I will take the SLOW FE tonight after dinner. Starting tomorrow morning, I will start the SLOW FE in the morning. Maybe if it doesn't make me sick, maybe I can take 2 a day?? Does anyone know if that would be ok? I will then go back in 6 months and have my B12 Level Checked again and also my Iron/Ferritin levels re-checked. My Ferritin Level was 10 .... he said to take the Iron everyday for a year .... so I guess it can take awhile for the Ferritin Levels to go up.

This was my blood work results. I am not sure what the "LD" is??

LD - My Level Was: 133 -- Normal Lab Range: (100 - 250 U/L)

GASTRIN - My Level Was: 43 -- Normal Lab Range: ( < OR = 100 pg/mL)

Intrinsic Factor Blocking Antibody: Mine Was Negative

Vitamin B12 - My Level Was: 252 -- (Normal Lab Range: (200 - 1100 pg/mL)

* There Was A Note Beside The B12 Level That Says This:

"PLEASE NOTE: ALTHOUGH THE REFERENCE RANGE FOR VITAMIN B12 IS 200 - 1100 PG/ML, IT HAS BEEN REPORTED THAT BETWEEN 5 AND 10% OF PATIENTS WITH VALUES BETWEEN 200 AND 400 PG/ML MAY EXPERIENCE NEUROPSYCHIATRIC AND HEMATOLOGIC ABNORMALITIES DUE TO OCCULT B12 DEFICIENCY; LESS THAN 1% OF PATIENTS WITH VALUES ABOVE 400 PG/ML WILL HAVE SYMPTOMS."

Folate, Serum: My Level Was: 7.8
    Normal Lab Ranges:
    LOW < 3.4
    BORDERLINE 3.4 - 5.4
    NORMAL > 5.4

So, since my PA test came back Negative and since my B12 level increased in a month, he said that my body can absorb the Vitamin, so that is good! If my B12 Level still would have been 172 or lower, I would have asked for the Schillings Test to test for PA. But since my B12 Level has increased, I didn't ask because I knew that was good news! We'll see how I do on these Supplements ..... I wonder how long it will take me to get my energy back and for me to start getting my hair back and how long till I stop have brusies on me?? I hope it doesn't take too long. The most I want back is my energy level and to stop feeling dead tired all the time!! I hope it doesn't take too long for that!!

Tifferzz

Last edited by Tifferzz; 11-07-2007 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Forgot To Post My Gastrin Test Level

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2007, 05:19 PM   #2
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
    Re: Good News!!!!!

Tifferzz--Congrats on not having a PA DX! Methylcobalamin is the B-12 that is recommended. As for your question about taking iron after a meal, that's because the meal will decrease the absorption by 50-60%. You should take iron 1 hour before OR 2 hours after a meal. I take mine before to get best results.

I think that you were wise not beginning Ferris Sulfate, for me it was a nightmare. In Ferris Sulfate you only get 65 mgs not 325 as the bottle reads. Sometimes that confuses people. The Slow Fe is 47.5 so there is a little difference in the two. If you want to take more I would ask the doctor. Everyone has a different opinion on how much iron is enough or too much and overload concerns. I take 300 mgs of Poly iron daily for 10 months now. And...it does take up to a year to fill the iron stores.

Asking about the Shillings test for PA, alot of doctors won't do the test because even if you do have PA it is treated the same as B-12. So, they don't want to run the test, depends of course on the doc testing. Good luck to you. Keep us posted! FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 11-07-2007, 09:28 PM   #3
    Tifferzz
    (female)

Tifferzz HB User

Thank you so much FLFLOWERGIRL

Where do I find the Methylcobalamin? Do they have that in drug stores do you know? Or do I order it online? I looked it up when you said that and I have heard of those ...... the ones that disolve. Is this what I need to get here "Methylcobalamin B-12"? Can you recommend a good brand for me to get? I like getting things that other people have tried or used .... just to be safe.

Ahhh, I am glad that you said about taking the Iron 2 hours after a meal or one hour before .... I was just thinking I would eat and then take it after I eat. I didn't know to wait a couple of hours. I was too excited at the Doctors office and didn't think of All of these questions when I was there LOL. The Doctor told me to take 325 mg's of Ferrous Sulfate a day. But .... since I got the SLOW FE, it says on the back (like you said) that it contains 47.5 mg's per tablet. So, should I still just try one tablet a day? Or should I try a couple to equal the 325 like he said? Do you know or have any suggestions on that? What is Poly Iron? Do you feel a difference in your energy and that kind of stuff with being on Iron for 10 months? If so, how long did it take for you to start feeling good?

Sorry I am asking a lot of questions .... I just never took this stuff before ... but I have two more questions if anyone knows. If I take my Iron in the morning ....... when is a good time to take the B12? Do you think I can do the Iron in the morning and then the B12 at dinner time? Is it good to take the B12 with a meal or before a meal or after a meal?

Thanks again FLFLOWERGIRL for the congrats!!!

Tifferzz

Old 11-08-2007, 04:16 AM   #4
    ChristineVA
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User

I buy a liquid B-12 at Whole Foods. You use a dropperful under your tongue. It is 1000 mg and the bottle has, I think, 75 doses in it. It was about $20 a bottle. You might try that. I can't remember the brand but it was the only liquid B12 they sold.

Old 11-08-2007, 08:41 AM   #5
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

Tifferzz--You are very welcome! Methyl type of B-12 is in the local Healthfood store. I have heard that the strips are the best, haven't tried them myself, I took the drop form. I think they might be a script, but you could ask your pharmacist about that. I don't think that it matters that much. It IS all about the absorption.

The doctor was telling you to take 325mg of Ferris Sulfate but it only contains 65 mgs of elemental iron. And your Slow Fe is 47.5 so you can take 1 1/2 or 2 a day but I would ask the doctor because that's just my opinion. Like I said I take 300mgs of elemental iron, Poly iron. Poly iron was made for people that need to take high dose supplemental iron on a long term basis and it is supposed to be a safer iron because it's not healthy to take a lot of iron. I guess cancer cells and free radicals are a concern with taking iron. That's another ball of wax that I really don't know much about. Maybe someone should start a thread on the subject.

As far as my energy well, I felt fine when I was DX'ed with 2 Ferritin and 8.5 Hgb. It was after that I started feeling ill in the long term. I also became very ill from the Ferris Sulfate and had enteritis for 3 months. And it was basically down hill from there. I developed many neuro symptoms like a B-12 deficiency but my B-12 and Folate were actually high. So I still don't have answers but my symptoms are getting better. I can say this about feeling better, everyday I have always felt like I am getting better. My Ferritin finally reached 20 last time I checked. I think it must be higher now, but that seems to go up and down depending on your problem so you just don't know until it is checked. I know that when I use my energy working around the house and yard I get really tired and fatigued. I have learned to back off a little and that works well. I noticed a big difference when I was no longer anemic. The doctors say that it just take a long time to feel better because I was very ill (for my age 46). I hope they are right.

I would take the B-12 somewhere in the middle of the day between meals for best absorption. Feel better. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 11-09-2007, 12:02 PM   #6
    Tifferzz
    (female)

Tifferzz HB User

ChristineVA, thank you for mentioning the liquid B12. Does it have a taste at all? That sounds like it would be good too, since it is liquid, it would probably get absorbed really fast. I am just worried if it has like a bad taste, if it does .... I may not be able to get it down if ya know what I mean LOL.

Thank you again FLFLOWERGIRL, the next time I go to the mall, I am going to go to the health food store there and see if they have what you are talking about too. If the liquid form that ChristineVA mentioned doesn't have a taste, I will get what she said and also get what you said too. Since I am going to be taking this stuff everyday for at least 6 months, I am going to need them anyways! Doesn't hurt to try them all out. Ohhhhhh, now I understand what you are saying about the Iron and about the mg's. So the doctor already knew that there is 65mgs of elemental iron in the 325 mg pills he told me to get. I gotcha now LOL. So, I should probably just stick with the one pill a day of the slow fe since that is pretty close to what the doctor wants anyway. That is scarey about taking a lot of iron and what could happen with cancer cells!! I wonder why that is??

I hope you continue to feel better! Yeah, I am the same way as you ... when I do things around the house (when I have a lucky day and have SOME energy), I noticed I get REALLY tired and fatigued too. I think I do it because I do not get energy to do stuff very often ..... so when I do get that burst of energy, I try to do everything that day because I know I won't have any energy to do anything for like the next week. So, I try to do as much as possible while having the energy, but then I do pay for it for the next few days afterwards! I can't wait till that goes away! I know it takes awhile for these levels to go back up .... but it's hard cause you want to be back to yourself and it seems like it doesn't happen as fast as you want it to.

Again, thanks all for posting and giving me your suggestions and opinions, I do appreciate them!!

Tifferzz

Closed Thread