It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board

• Anyone have negative effects with Dr. Browns?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-11-2007, 03:25 PM   #1
    cmarie313
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cmarie313 HB User
    Anyone have negative effects with Dr. Browns?

I began using Dr. Brown's bottles with my preemie daughter on Nov. 8th. She was vomitting so we tried to use these bottles. The vomitting has stopped, only 2 times since using the bottles, but now she is grunting so much and getting very red and gassy. She had not done this before using these bottles. I always burp her while she is eating (2-3 burps per feeding) so I know it is not that. I have had her on the same formula since she was born on 10/23. It does not appear that she is constipated because she is going at least once a day and it is very wet. I am not sure what is causing the discomfort. She had been a very good sleeper, never making noises, cries, or grunts while sleeping and now she is. So I was wondering if anyone had experienced this with the Dr. Browns. Any insights would be greatly appreciated!!!! I feel awful for her
    cmarie
    *Olivia Grace born 10/23/07...our little miracle!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2007, 03:46 PM   #2
    baj406
    Veteran
    (female)

baj406 HB User
    Re: Anyone have negative effects with Dr. Browns?

We use the Dr. Brown's but had no ill effects; however, we did have similar issues. DS started throwing up EVERYTHING when he was around 1 month old. We had to make a formula change and then another before we found one he could keep down. I wouldn't jump the gun and blame the bottle just yet.
    Have you talked to her ped about possibly changing her formula? What are you using right now? I know a soy formula can help a lot with fussiness and gas as well as the hypo-allergenic formulas. I hope you can get her tummy settled down so she's comfy.

Last edited by baj406; 11-11-2007 at 03:47 PM.

Old 11-11-2007, 04:54 PM   #3
    cmarie313
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cmarie313 HB User

This all just transpired in the last 2 days or so. I will see the ped. next Wed. and will ask him then. I really like the bottles too, but just can't figure out the being fussy? We are giving her Similac Advance, she has been on it since she was born (it is what the hospital gave her). Well, thanks for the help!
    cmarie

Old 11-11-2007, 05:23 PM   #4
    baj406
    Veteran
    (female)

baj406 HB User

You know you can consult about formula over the phone. There's really no reason they'd need to see her to change it. We never went in for those feeding issues, just talked to his doc or the nurse on the phone.

Old 11-11-2007, 05:34 PM   #5
    cmarie313
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cmarie313 HB User

Oh, I didn't know that! Thanks for the advice.
    cmarie

Old 11-11-2007, 07:39 PM   #6
    LauraLu
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

LauraLu HB UserLauraLu HB User

They can also give you samples! My daughter is also on Similac Soy and uses Dr. Brown's and does great! Good luck!

Old 11-14-2007, 09:51 AM   #7
    Heyknack
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Heyknack HB User

Cmarie--I just saw this post, and had to tell you we had some of the same issues with my DD. At the time I was breastfeeding and supplementing with Similac Advance with Iron. Around 2-3 weeks old, she became very gassy, started spitting up, grunting and holding her legs up constantly. It was to the point she didn't sleep well. I kept going to the pediatrician, and they kept telling me that her stomach and intestines and nervous system were still maturing and she wasn't used to it, etc. Well, I already knew that and had cared for many babies before and had not seen any as bad as my daughter. I mean the grunting was horrible to watch, all day and night, no sleep for either of us, I just felt like she was suffering. Finally they said she had acid reflux, gave us medication and told us about elevating her after eating, etc. That stuff helped alot for the spitting up. But she was still really gassy and grunting. The peds I saw said not to change her formula, that it was not needed. But after weeks of this, I couldn't take it anymore. I stopped breastfeeding (but kept pumping and freezing it in case), and I started switching formulas, and I would keep her on each new formula for 5-7 days. Stopping the breastmilk didn't make any difference, so I figured it must be the formula. I tried Similac RF (or RS?)/Sensitive, Enfamil Lipil, Similac Soy Formula (which helped a little at first, then back to the same thing). Finally on the 4th formula (Enfamil Lipil Gentlease), it was a miracle. Her gassiness and grunting decreased by about 80% in 2 days! This formula has partially digested proteins and 1/4 lactose, so I'm not sure what particular thing in it helped her, but it was seriously the best thing I ever did. The next time we took her to see the ped, that doctor said, "Oh, maybe it WAS the formula?!"--LOL, duh! The ped said perhaps she has a mild/partial protein allergy or is a slow digester, who knows, but she said to stick with it. LOL, I didn't need her to tell me that!!! I was annoyed and told her so that all of them told me to just stay on the same formula before when my daughter was suffering!! Sometimes, I feel like the docs just don't listen. Also, right after we switched to this last formula and my DD stopped grunting all the time, her personality totally switched from grumpy and cranky to happy and SMILING, which she hadn't done at all before! I really wonder how much pain she was really in for all those weeks (I think she was around 10 weeks at the time of the last switch). Also, soon after she started sleeping through the night.

So basically, my advice to you is yes, see your doctor, but also, if you feel like something just isn't right, sometimes you're right! It's ok to switch formula, and you might find it makes a huge difference. I'm so glad I tried switching...the formula she's on now is more expensive (about $25 for a 24 oz can), but so worth it, and it could be worse. Nutrimigen and Allimentum for full protein allergy kids is more expensive, so I guess I should be grateful she doesn't need those. On the other hand, if your child is diagnosed with a protein allergy for sure, your insurance may cover the cost of expensive formula.

Oh, and I tried all kinds of bottles at the beginning too, and Dr. Brown's was by far the best for less gas. Ventaires are pretty good too. Currently I'm transitioning her on bottles due to the plastic/BPA/phthalate issue, and I'll keep you posted.

Anyway, good luck!!

DD, conceived after infertility (3rd IUI), Born July 2007
    Baby #2, conceived naturally! EDD March 16, 2009

Last edited by Heyknack; 11-14-2007 at 10:03 AM.

Old 11-14-2007, 06:46 PM   #8
    cmarie313
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cmarie313 HB User

Hi Heyknack,
    Wow, what a story! Thank you for sharing. I am definitley going to call my ped. tomorrow to discuss this with him. I can't believe how the Enfamil Gentlease worked. I will start with that one for sure. Now, is it correct that it only comes in powder form? That kinda sucks because I have been using the Similac Advance ready to feed and it is so convenient. How do you prepare the powder...do you use nursery water...do you have to boil or use the water cold? I feel like I would worry that I am not preparing it correctly. How long does the 24 oz. can last you? When you use the powder, how do you travel and prepare it?

Sorry for so many questions! I just really appreciate your insights and experience with all of this. I don't think that our situation is as severe as with your DD, but I feel awful when the baby is sound asleep and all of a sudden she starts screaming and her face gets all red. I am not sure what is going on. She was 3 weeks old yesterday and I could only assume it is the formula. She is so gassy and stinky She poops maybe once a day. All this mommy stuff is making me so nervous, I guess the worry never stops

Thanks for your help!
    cmarie

Old 11-14-2007, 07:43 PM   #9
    koukla3
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

koukla3 HB User

Hi cmarie,

On the formula making issue. We use the similac powder formula and this is how I do it. At first I boiled the water and my pediatrician kinda laughed at me, she told me that we could just use bottled water. Well, I feel like the bottled water is really tap water (on the news lately) so we buy distilled water gallons which is so much easier than boiling the water. We keep it at room temperature and a gallon lasts about a week long.

The big cans of formula last us about a week but Elliana is now 7 months old so it may last a little longer for you. However, I think we have been on a can a week for awhile. She drinks about 30oz of formula a day (plus eats food) so maybe that will give you a little idea. The thing is I dont know how many scoops etc you need for your formula. Ours is half as many scoops as water ounces. So if you need 4oz of formula fill the water in the bottle FIRST, then add the 2 scoops of formula. If you put the formula in first then you won't have an accurate water meaurement.

Honestly, It is so much cheaper buying the powder than the ready to serve similac!!!! I used that at first and it was ridiculous which is why we switched.

I am so happy that your liitle one has had some relief with the new formula. I would still call your pediatrician tomorrow.

So, how are you holding up? Are you exhausted? How is little Olivia sleeping. I miss those days when they are so little and they sleep in your arms. My little one is so big already....I cant believe it. She just started crawling on friday and she is hard to keep up with! ha! It's so much fun.

Keep us updated

Koukla

Old 11-15-2007, 02:07 PM   #10
    athome1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

athome1 HB User

I am the EXACT same issue when my little one (now 6 months) was first born until about 2-3 months. I tried the Dr. Brown's bottles and hated them. For me they did nothing except cause more dishes in my sink. She is my third child, so I stuck with the Avent bottles. I also ended up switching formula to the Gentlease and after about a week , found a HUGE difference. Once we worked through the issues and the formula did it's magic, we had a different baby. She stopped spitting up and was so content that she started sleeping straight through the night.

As to preparing the formula, I use warm tap water. I don't boil it or buy anything special. I do bring some bottled (room temp) water with us when we go out so that I can mix a bottle on the spot. I never actually heat up the bottle, I just get warm water from the tap. My lo is so used to room temp though that I rarely even warm them up unless it's bedtime. Good luck and I hope you Little One is doing better soon

Old 11-20-2007, 05:35 AM   #11
    cmarie313
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cmarie313 HB User

Well, I switched to the Gentlease 5 days ago. It seemed that it helped with reducing the gas and she has been pooping much more frequently. However, she still cries and grunts and gets very red in the face. Last night was an awful night!!! Everything was good and then all of a sudden she threw up twice and then was up on and off throughout the whole middle of the night crying and having gas. I just don't know what to do? I would think that if it was a lactose intolerance or something like that, she would cry all the time and throw up all the time, which she doesn't. I just wish I could do something to help her. I am seeing the pediatrician tomorrow and will definitely share my concerns with him. It seems that when she is so upset and crying, and we pick her up to comfort her she will be able to calm down. Does this mean that she is "spoiled"...I didn' think that was possible because she is only 4 weeks old today. Oh, my what do you think????????

cmarie

Old 11-20-2007, 06:18 AM   #12
    athome1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

athome1 HB User

She's defiantly not spoiled. It's just comfort for her. How recently had she eaten before she started with the 'gas pains"? I found that with my daughter, she would cry hysterically every time she had to poop. I though something was terribly wrong. She would thrash around and cry and turn red in the face. I came to find that she was very dramatic. The formula did help, but it took a good solid 1-2 weeks to see any changes in her. Your doctor might tell you to give it more time. Last night, was she throwing up or spitting up? There is a difference. If she's throwing up, then she could be sick, but spitting up could mean something else altogether, so take the time and talk to your doctor. My daughter was spitting up ( I thought violently) every time I fed her. I had to feed her with her tilted up, not laying down while burping her continually. When she finished eating, I had to burp her again and keep her upright for about 20 minutes. It did help with the gas and spitting up. Good luck and let us know how you make out at the doctor's.

Old 11-20-2007, 07:59 AM   #13
    baj406
    Veteran
    (female)

baj406 HB User

Throwing up or spit up along with signs of pain can be symptoms of reflux, which isn't terribly uncommon in preemies. Also, she may not be tolerating in-tact proteins. While DS doesn't have a diagnosed allergy, he definitely has sensitivities to milk and soy proteins so his dr has him on Nutramigen. His only symptom for this sensitivity was severe vomiting. The Nutramigen cleared it right up. Then at 2 months we got the reflux dx and added Zantac. After a 3 month battle, and a month experimenting with cereals, we have found the perfect combination for controlling his vomiting and reflux. It's all trial and error, and you're definitely doing the right thing, expressing your concerns to her doctor. I'd push to go straight to a hypo-allergenic formula, Nutramigen or Alimentum. They can work wonders on sensitive little tummies. Good luck and I hope she feels better. (Oh, they also work amazingly for gas too.)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmarie313 View Post
    Well, I switched to the Gentlease 5 days ago. It seemed that it helped with reducing the gas and she has been pooping much more frequently. However, she still cries and grunts and gets very red in the face. Last night was an awful night!!! Everything was good and then all of a sudden she threw up twice and then was up on and off throughout the whole middle of the night crying and having gas. I just don't know what to do? I would think that if it was a lactose intolerance or something like that, she would cry all the time and throw up all the time, which she doesn't. I just wish I could do something to help her. I am seeing the pediatrician tomorrow and will definitely share my concerns with him. It seems that when she is so upset and crying, and we pick her up to comfort her she will be able to calm down. Does this mean that she is "spoiled"...I didn' think that was possible because she is only 4 weeks old today. Oh, my what do you think????????

cmarie

Closed Thread