It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• Negative impact of having ADD on your medical record?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-08-2007, 08:42 PM   #1
    joebloggs2
    Veteran
    (male)

joebloggs2 HB Userjoebloggs2 HB User
    Negative impact of having ADD on your medical record?

I visit doctors for physical problems but not for mental illnesses. In my family and friends there is still a negative stigma about mental illness. I am afraid of my future mainly; What will happen if I have depression, anxiety, and ADD on my permanent record? Would it affect my job search (in the medical and science field), government jobs, etc? Will I be able to get a gun license to own a handgun? I know you can't w/ depression maybe, but what about with just ADD?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-09-2007, 05:12 AM   #2
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
    Re: Negative impact of having ADD on your medical record?

In general, your medical record is private. And if you pay for dr visits yourself instead of using insurance, you can gain even more privacy.

I don't believe there's any reason most potential employers would ever have to find out, certainly I've never needed to share that information. In fact, they legally can't ask questions like that unless they can prove they need the information--and most don't.

I do know that when you apply for US federal government jobs requiring security clearance, (not all do) you have to tell them whether you have visted a mental health professional any time in the last, I think, 10 years. Then the psychologist is asked if you have any illness that might impact your ability to keep a secret. However, it takes a long time to process security clearance stuff, and check up on all your references. Typically, they run your prints, make sure you're not a wanted felon, hire you, and fire you later if you lied. I doubt ADD alone would be much of a barrier.

Old 11-09-2007, 05:56 AM   #3
    addprogrammer
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User

Joe,

I believe that JaneWhite's post is accurate.

Technically I still retain a private pilots license but since I do not have a current medical it isn't worth the cardboard its printed on.

A FAA medical examiner will ask about mental illness. If say "no" and my physical condition passes, I get my "medical." Frankly it would be grossly irresponsible for me to lie. Small planes fly in the same space as big planes. If I kill myself - that is bad enough - but I couldn't "live" with killing others.

So, somewhere in here, is a balance. Does every employer "need to know?" Hmn, I don't think so. But some absolutely do.

My two cents.

Bob

Old 11-12-2007, 01:09 PM   #4
    joebloggs2
    Veteran
    (male)

Thank you for your replies.

I wish to become a pilot, and for this reason I fear going to the doctor about ADD. <removed>

My main obstacle is whether the FAA would reject me in the future (in say, 2-4 years) due to having ADD.

Last edited by mod-anon; 11-12-2007 at 09:29 PM. Reason: do not discuss online purchasing

Old 11-12-2007, 02:37 PM   #5
    addprogrammer
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User

Joe,

If you want to be a pilot find some other way of managing ADHD - rather than diagnosis and meds.

If you're talking private pilot, you may be able to keep it under wraps. Commercial, airline pilot? NEVER. You'll never be in a cockpit with an ADHD diagnosis on your record.

If you understand that we are compelled to create stimulation AND you can control that urge, you'll make a dang good pilot. We get "calm" under stress. In situations were everyone else has dirty underware, we are in control. Additionally, a cockpit is a stimulation rich environment. As you know there are zillions of bells, whistles, digital displays flashing colored lights - indeed an ADHD paradise.

Fly into high traffic airports, the controllers barking non-stop directives, other aircraft vying for space and, well, billions of signals bombarding our brains that so crave that kind of action. We're good at the kind of stuff.

But the Feds can't know and they will know if it is on your medical record.

Bob

Old 11-12-2007, 09:45 PM   #6
    kitkat11
    (female)

kitkat11 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by joebloggs2
    I wish to become a pilot, and for this reason I fear going to the doctor about ADD. I can order ADD medication online or buy it off the street.
    I'm sure they would do random drug checks, <removed>. Having amphetamines show up in a random test would get you fired.

Maybe try Omega-3, Vitamin B's and caffeine?

I've read recently that applications/paper work at various stages of getting hired can ask your medical history, as long as they ask everyone.

Last edited by mod-anon; 11-12-2007 at 10:58 PM. Reason: do not discuss online purchasing

Old 11-13-2007, 04:48 AM   #7
    joebloggs2
    Veteran
    (male)

I take vitamins and Omega3. I meditate and that helps a lot. From a very recent TIME article titled "What Goes Wrong in the ADHD Brain"

<removed>

I don't know anybody, successful or not, who doesn't qualify as having ADD. I just want Adderall - but I'm weighing the pros and cons of having it on my medical record in the long term.

Last edited by mod-anon; 11-13-2007 at 04:58 AM. Reason: do not post copyrighted material

Old 11-13-2007, 06:20 AM   #8
    addprogrammer
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Joe,

You might have to come to grips with reality. I don't mean to be mean. But what if you had a heart problem? Many heart problems mean no flying. If you are unable to control ADHD without meds, you really should not be flying an airplane - large or small.

That is my reality. And, yes, I do miss it.

Bob

Old 11-13-2007, 07:16 AM   #9
    mcr285
    Inactive
    (female)

mcr285 HB Usermcr285 HB User

it really depends on how bad you have ADD and how it affects you. my husband has ADD... he's never been diagnosed, but he definitely has ADD. he's obviously never been on meds for it, as he's never been diagnosed, but he's always succeeded at what he sets out to do...

my husband is a pilot, and he does work for the government, and he is great at it. it's one of the things i learned a long time ago about ADD... if you're interested in something, it comes pretty easy inspite of having ADD! my husband is an excellent pilot because he LOVES flying. as far as the rest of his job.... well, he's pretty good at it, but there's a lot of little detail work (nothing to do with flying the plane, just a lot of bureaucratic stuff that happens on the ground!) that i know he could do so much easier if he was on medication!

here's a non-work example (so i don't get him in trouble!) of how he functions.... when he goes to mow the yard, he promises me he'll only be an hour and then he will get back in and help me feed the kids lunch and put them down for their naps. so he starts off edging the driveway, but then he sees that the flowerbeds are full of weeds so he starts weeding. halfway through the first flowerbed, he notices that there seems to be a lot more bugs than usual, so he goes and gets the bug spray stuff so he can treat the house again. while treating the house for bugs, he notices the trashcans are still out on the street so he goes to bring them in, but then notices the mail has come so he passes the trash cans and goes to the mailbox. the neighbor across the street is out in his garage so my husband yells hello to him. that starts off at least 20 minutes worth of conversation.... usually longer! eventually neighbor asks him what he's doing outside that day, and husband remembers he's mowing the lawn. so he finally gets back to edging.... and that's the extremely short version. usually there's something to do with cleaning out the storage shed, and the garage, and then the car needs washing, the oil needs changing, the tires need air, etc! makes me CRAZY!!!

i will say though, that he is doing much better lately, since we changed our diet. i posted a thread yesterday called "interesting" and talked about eliminating certain artificial colors and preservatives and such from our diets. Joe, if you are serious about becoming a pilot, try doing the things i talked about in that post and see if that doesn't help control your ADD. also, regular exercise (20-30 minutes a day), and a healthy amount of sleep (studies show that most people regularly need between 6-8 hours) can help too.

if you are serious about wanting to be a pilot, you cannot have ADD in your medical history! too many things can go wrong, and they don't want to get sued. like if the plane crashed, and it came out the pilot had ADD, the natural conclusion would be that his ADD caused the crash. even if the plane was shot down by an alien ship from mars, somehow the media would make it the pilot's fault because his ADD that caused the alien ship to shoot his plane!

anyway, don't get diagnosed if you want to be a pilot....

Old 11-13-2007, 02:25 PM   #10
    lunalu
    (female)

lunalu HB User

What about drug testing for a job which is often required? Do you have to "tell all" if you're taking adderall? What would show up?

Old 11-13-2007, 07:56 PM   #11
    joebloggs2
    Veteran
    (male)

Thanks for the replies!

Let me rephrase.. I want to be a private pilot. I'm saving up for my own personal plane.. I am self-employed, so no drug tests.

I have eliminated all additives and preservatives from my foods and I try to exercise daily (but usually get to, every other day). It helps, and honestly, I can control my ADD just fine.

Here are the two things that helped me the most: Meditation and a system to get things done. My problem was mainly that I did not have my priorities straight. I always had a ton of things to do and many deadlines, but I never knew what to do first.. so I would start a task and then realize that the other task is more important, and start on that before remembering that yet another task is more important, etc. To get over this, I spent a few months developing a good system to get my things done and stay organized. It was hard getting used to because at first I didn't trust it and kept using PostIts everywhere.. but eventually through persistence I got used to it.

Then came meditation. This was harder than exercise - try just sitting perfectly still for 30 mins. This allowed me to concentrate on the present moment, on the task I am doing, and to become more aware of other things that might pop up into my mind and then gives me the option of ignoring them or acting on them.

This sounds mystical or lame, but in practice it lets me "ignore" pain, and ignore urges.. to tap my foot, or to get caught up trying to sort out priorities, or anything else that might cause stress or a mental fog.

Also, a high fat, low carb diet helped a lot! Complex carbs (whole wheat) made me very tired and irritable.

Old 11-14-2007, 04:54 PM   #12
    addprogrammer
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Joe,

Let's get you in the air.

All interests have their boring moments and that includes flying.

You'll have to get through ground school. That will include basic meteorology, aerodynamics, FAA regulations, and hmn, I earned my wings in 1970 and can't remember what else. But there is more.

Before you get into a plane, there is preflight planning, filing flight plans and preflighting the aircraft.

After you get into the air, and after you get a few hours under your belt, guess what? You'll find flying en route boring as documenting code (Extremely BORING) even if your aircraft does not have autopilot and sophisticated nav gear. With it, if wasn't illegal, you could nap. Plane will fly better without you messing with it anyway.

What to do?

You can go to ground school and take the written test before ever setting foot in an airplane.

Do that first.

If you can get past that, without meds, you're home free.

Bob

Old 11-14-2007, 06:07 PM   #13
    whosit
    (male)

whosit HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post
    In general, your medical record is private. And if you pay for dr visits yourself instead of using insurance, you can gain even more privacy.

I don't believe there's any reason most potential employers would ever have to find out, certainly I've never needed to share that information. In fact, they legally can't ask questions like that unless they can prove they need the information--and most don't.

I do know that when you apply for US federal government jobs requiring security clearance, (not all do) you have to tell them whether you have visted a mental health professional any time in the last, I think, 10 years. Then the psychologist is asked if you have any illness that might impact your ability to keep a secret. However, it takes a long time to process security clearance stuff, and check up on all your references. Typically, they run your prints, make sure you're not a wanted felon, hire you, and fire you later if you lied. I doubt ADD alone would be much of a barrier.

That made me feel better just now....but to add to it. I have just seen my doctor on monday and started back on ritalin for adult ADD and i am thinking he has made the diagnosis officially but not sure. I asked him the same questions and he stated about the laws in WV(where i am). I am not sure about other states and he said that if I moved out of state he wouldnt know anything. I have a concealed weapons permit here and he said it would not effect it at all because i am still stable and not a danger to self or others. i am not sure about the others you mentioned but ADD would not exclude you.

question to the person above though? i obtained a top seceret security clearence in the military back in 2000, would that still be good to apply for a federal job now like the US Postal Service?

thanks

whosit

Closed Thread