It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infertility Message Board

• Anyone have success on Provera?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-13-2007, 07:42 AM   #1
    CW1984
    Veteran
    (female)

CW1984 HB User
    Anyone have success on Provera?

I had a d&c on 9/17 for a miscarriage at 9 weeks. I still have yet to have a period. In fact, I havenít stopped bleeding/spotting since the d&c. For about a week after the d&c, the flow was like a medium period then it just tapered off to brown spotting/discharge. Well it still hasnít stopped! (and itís been 8 weeks post d&c) At about week 6, I started having TERRIBLE cramps and a period like flow and it lasted about 4 days so it sounds like that was a period right? But since then, the brown spotting/discharge has resumed.

So I went to my doctor and heís done a pelvic exam, blood test, urine testÖ everything has come back normal! (thank goodness) So he then ordered an ultrasound to check everything out. The ultrasound tech saw a cyst on my left ovary (the dr. wasnít concerned about the cyst) and the tech also saw blood that looked ďstuckĒ. The doctor feels confident that itís not tissue left behind from the d&c and I believe the nurse also said that that the blood isnt from the d&c. Anyway, he has now prescribed me Provera 10 mg for 10 days hoping that that will ďjumpstartĒ my cycle and get everything out.

Does this seem right??? I mean I think that heavy flow and cramping I had a couple weeks ago was a period so why give me medication to induce a period? The problem Iím having is continued spotting. Has anyone taken Provera and been successful with it? This is just so frustrating b/c DH and I want to try again and this healing/recovery process has just been a nightmare. I guess Iím looking for advice or success stories?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2007, 07:50 AM   #2
    Namibia
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Namibia HB User
    Re: Anyone have success on Provera?

Hi CW I am so sorry for your loss. I have been on provera twice and it has brought on AF everytime so yes it does work. I have PCOS so I do not have cycles so I always need some type of medication to bring on AF. Good luck I hope it all works out for you.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:09 AM   #3
    TryN2BMommy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

TryN2BMommy HB User

CW, I too am so sorry to hear about your loss. I suffered two losses myself, so I know how difficult it can be to deal with. The bleeding you described a few weeks ago also sounds like AF to me. I'm a little confused about why your dr is prescribing provera as well since it seems like AF is not quite late yet. I would be concerned about the continued spotting, especially if an u/s confirmed there is some type of blood inside. You said your dr ran several tests that all came back normal. Do you know if they ran another blood pregnancy test to confirm your levels were all the way back down? If not, I would definitely request that.

I wish I had some better suggestions to offer you. All I can really say is that I'm as stumped as you are. Maybe somebody else will be able to respond w/ better input than me. I will say though, that if you aren't comfortable w/ the way things are being handled, don't be afraid to ask your dr questions. Make sure you understand why everything is being done & that you agree w/ it all. If you still don't feel comfortable after asking questions, there's nothing wrong w/ getting a second opinion.

Wishing you all the best!! Please keep us posted.

Holly

Old 11-13-2007, 11:45 AM   #4
    CW1984
    Veteran
    (female)

CW1984 HB User

Thankyou both for the reponse. I greatly appreciate it. I am also concerned with the spotting. It has began getting even lighter and itís just a dull, light brown color. I really hope by taking this Provera it hasnít messed things up even more b/c like I said, Iím not sure that the lack of a period is the problem but rather the spotting. I think/hope he just prescribed it so I can get a period and hopefully lose that blood that is ďstuck.Ē Iím glad you mentioned getting a second opinion. I really havenít felt comfortable going through this process with my doctor just b/c I donít feel Iíve had the attention and care that I deserve. I certainly do not think I am any better than anyone, but Iíve made appts to speak with him when his nurses donít call back and I feel like Iím being rushed and Iíve thought about going the female doctor in his office. Maybe she would be a little more sensitive and caring to everything. I just donít know.

Old 11-13-2007, 12:04 PM   #5
    CW1984
    Veteran
    (female)

CW1984 HB User

Forgot to say- they did test my hcg levels and they were back to normal.

Old 11-13-2007, 12:25 PM   #6
    TryN2BMommy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

TryN2BMommy HB User

I'm glad the spotting is getting lighter. I don't think the provera would really mess anything up, I just don't know if it's necessary or not since you think you had AF a couple weeks ago. Maybe you could ask for another u/s after the spotting completely stops...if it shows that the "stuck blood" is gone, I'm sure you will feel a whole lot better.

You don't have to think you're better than anyone else to expect good treatment from your dr. I know dr's are busy, but so are we. Everyone is busy these days, and we pay them a lot of money, so they need to give us the time and consideration that we deserve. I think all too often people in the medical field witness so such much heartbreak that they become desensitized to it and they forget what the patient (who never went through something like this before) might be feeling. It's really sad. There are many amazing drs out there though, so I hope nobody takes offense to what I just wrote (I personally love both my OBGYN and my RE! ). If you're not comfortable w/ the way you've been treated, you should definitely consider that second opinion.

Good luck!!

Holly

Last edited by TryN2BMommy; 11-13-2007 at 12:26 PM.

Old 11-14-2007, 07:57 AM   #7
    GeorgiaPeachie
    (female)

GeorgiaPeachie HB User

Actually your first period after a birth or miscarriage is really strange.

The provera will start your period. I've used it numerous times since I have a very irregular cycle. It builds your lining and then when you stop it suddenly it causes you to start AF.

Also, provera is used during pregnancies when your progesterone is low. Usually during the 1st trimester until the placenta takes over on progesterone production.

Old 11-14-2007, 12:31 PM   #8
    JAM82
    Veteran
    (female)

JAM82 HB User

[QUOTE=CW1984;3304536]

I think the provera will be to get you to a particular stage in your cycle and possibly also to shed the cyst and blood thats remaining.
    Could be wrong but i have pcos and they didnt know where i was in my cycle or when it would come therefore it made it impossible to start treatment so the gave me the same as you which induecd a peroid and got rid of all the left over folicles from the previous cycle.

hope things go well xx

Last edited by JAM82; 11-14-2007 at 12:32 PM.

Closed Thread