It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• Side effects from Lipitor? Help please!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-03-2007, 01:20 PM   #1
    bsm955
    (female)

bsm955 HB User
    Question Side effects from Lipitor? Help please!

Hello, and thanks to anyone who can help me figure this out. I've been on Lipitor 10 mg for over 4 years. All was fine until about 3 weeks ago. Began with stomach problems that seem to have cleared up. Now I'm experiencing MAJOR muscle pains - burning, tingling everywhere. I've stopped the Lipitor as of 1 week ago. My doctor is very supportive and feels the Lipitor is probably the cause of the symptoms, although says it is unusual to experience symptoms so long after initiating the drug treatment. I'm wondering how long these side effects will last? When can I expect to feel some relief? Any similar experiences? Thanks much. I'm tired of hurting.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-03-2007, 10:51 PM   #2
    Guy1_USA
    Inactive
    (male)

Guy1_USA HB User
    Re: Side effects from Lipitor? Help please!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsm955 View Post
    My ...feels the Lipitor is probably the cause of the symptoms, although says it is unusual to experience symptoms so long after initiating the drug treatment.

Obviously... he has never been on this nasty medication...

Some people feel good a week after stopping... some people it takes years. Hope you are the former.

There is plenty of suspect from folks taking statins that they can cause muscles issues... as well as nerve issues.

Best of luck.

Last edited by Guy1_USA; 11-03-2007 at 10:52 PM.

Old 11-04-2007, 12:39 AM   #3
    HubbleRules
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

HubbleRules HB User

bsm955,

We're all different in our reaction to medications, so there is no perfect advice I can give you.

I was on Lipitor for 7 1/2 years when I had my bought with chronic muscle pain and weakness. I never had tingling or burning sensations, it just felt like the kind of soreness you get the day after you've exercised too much - but it wouldn't go away. It was painful to lift anything - even a cup of coffee. However, for me it wasn't just the Lipitor - my doctor had just recently prescribed Tricor in addition to the Lipitor - that's what put me over the edge.

I stopped both medications cold-turkey. I also started taking 100-150mg CoQ10 daily. There are anecdotal reports out there that it can help with statin-induced muscle problems. I'm not sure it did it for me, because it took about 6-8 months for me to feel like I was finally improving. By the 14 month point, I was completely ok - no pain, and no more general weakness and exercise intolerance.

I can only say that your patience will be tested by what you're going thru - it may take some time for you to start feeling better.

Stay off the statins, and supplement with CoQ10. You might also try Alpha Lipoic Acid - that is sometimes good for muscular problems.

Best of luck,

HubbleRules

Old 11-11-2007, 02:22 PM   #4
    phoebeann
    (female)

phoebeann HB User

Hubble, it takes that long or longer??? i too went off lipitor cold turkey last month because of horrible muscle and joint pain, every joint hurt including thumbs, wrists etc... some of them have gone away but not all did you also feel really lethargic? i want to do stuff but then its like "naw" don't think so today. most days are like that with very few "good" days, i do take coq10 and alot of other supplements, never a statin again this was my second go around with them.

Last edited by mod-anon; 11-11-2007 at 09:01 PM. Reason: editing quote

Old 11-12-2007, 04:23 PM   #5
    fuzzflyer
    (male)

fuzzflyer HB User

I have been on Lipitor , bad news. took it for a year or so had blood tests and Ck levels were high( muscle wastage etc etc) stopped immediatly , muscle pain took a long time to heal.
    had a ct scan and it showed no build up of placque, I don't even think about cholestorol now and feel fine, eat well is my answer

Old 11-12-2007, 05:08 PM   #6
    Red60
    Veteran
    (male)

Red60 HB User

I have not used a statin but I've been doing lots of reading about them since my doctor has really been pushing them to treat my elevated LDL and as a prevenitive measure for COPD since I was a long time heavy smoker.

I've read some reports that claim the side effects are a result of overdose. They claim that the doses routinely being prescribed are in most cases exessive and unneccessary.

Have any of you had side effects while using low dose statin stratagies?

Old 11-12-2007, 08:57 PM   #7
    Guy1_USA
    Inactive
    (male)

Guy1_USA HB User

Statins are nasty and I'd advise against them at all costs... I'd take a triple by-pass over statins any day of the week.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:09 AM   #8
    phoebeann
    (female)

phoebeann HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fuzzflyer View Post
    I have been on Lipitor , bad news. took it for a year or so had blood tests and Ck levels were high( muscle wastage etc etc) stopped immediatly , muscle pain took a long time to heal.
    had a ct scan and it showed no build up of placque, I don't even think about cholestorol now and feel fine, eat well is my answer
    Thanks fuzzflyer, was not the news i wanted to hear but i can accept that, i do eat well and am not going to dwell on the cholesterol except in what i eat, i also am hypo which when it started so did my high cholesterol.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:20 AM   #9
    Lulubells
    Veteran
    (female)

Lulubells HB UserLulubells HB User

bsm955, those doctors are clueless about what this stuff does to our bodies and the don't want to know. I have been off of it going on 2 years and I am still suffering. That stuff has poisoned my body and is still doing damage that I am betting I will have to live with the rest of my life. I have had years of painful lumpy swelling on my feet that burn, itch, tingel and ach and I have YET to find a doctor that will address that one problem! They brush you off a lot faster than it takes to pay for that visit. It started attacking my tendons in my knees within weeks of swollowing the first one and has not stopped yet, moving from one joint to another. I wake up in the morning and BHAM! A joint I have never had a problem with is suddenly extreemly to painful to use. Those doctors will never admit that those kind, gift bearing drug reps that visit them would lie and scam them. They have been sold a bill of goods that are so fake that it is disgracing their profession.

Red60 wrote
    Quote:
    Have any of you had side effects while using low dose statin stratagies?
    Within weeks of starting 10mg of Lipitor, I started with sudden horriable knee pain that stayed the whole time I was on the drug. I ran home and checked the insert for joint pain and there was no mention so the doctor nor I associated it with the drug. With every increase of dosage came more and more side effects that I or my doctor still did not associtae with the drug until I was barely functional.

phoebeann wrote
    Quote:
    i too went off lipitor cold turkey last month because of horrible muscle and joint pain, every joint hurt including thumbs, wrists etc... some of them have gone away but not all did you also feel really lethargic?
    That is EXACTLY MY story since quitting the drug. Just yesterday I got 2 shots in my shoulder for tendonitis that has had my right arm almost useless for 10 months. It attacks tendons in one joint after another, every day brings a new sudden horriable pain that usually lasts 1 to 3 days before it moves somewhere else... but in my shoulder, it has decided that is a great place to be and I am SICK of it...

Lethargic? I had NO idea how much of my energy that stuff had stolen from me until I got off of it.. WOW! It was like I had moved into a new body! I had given up just about going anywhere, doing anything, just didn't have the energy to do ANYTHING! I have missed so much of my life and I will never get it back. I didn't know what was wrong, what was happening to me and I was scared and worried to death.

That stuff is WICKED!

Old 11-14-2007, 06:28 PM   #10
    HubbleRules
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

HubbleRules HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by phoebeann View Post
    Hubble, it takes that long or longer??? i too went off lipitor cold turkey last month because of horrible muscle and joint pain, every joint hurt including thumbs, wrists etc... some of them have gone away but not all did you also feel really lethargic? i want to do stuff but then its like "naw" don't think so today. most days are like that with very few "good" days, i do take coq10 and alot of other supplements, never a statin again this was my second go around with them.
    phoebeann,

Yes, it can take a long time to recover from statin-induced muscle problems. For me full recovery took 1.5 years after I stopped the medicines.

And yes, I felt generally weak and lethargic. But I was even more exercise intolerant. I went from being able to jog 4 miles without problem to not even being able to do 1 mile without stopping for rest. My arms were also aching all the time, and lifting anything was quite painful. I could barely lift my laptop computer, and even lifting a mug of coffee was uncomfortable. At the time I feared I was going to be an invalid for the rest of my life...

I've since recovered fully, and am actually back on Lipitor (10mg due to still high LDL and Total Cholesterol) - and taking 50mg CoQ10 daily - and so far, no problems. I think that the last go-around, the problem for me was in combining Tricor with the Lipitor. I didn't know then, but combining a fibrate with a statin greatly increases the risk of muscle problems. I started having muscle problems in about a month, and at first thought I was just sleeping funny and getting charlie-horses. It wasn't until I did some research on the web that I realized what was going on - and I stopped both meds cold turkey.

Anyhow, my only advice is to be patient and be positive. We all react differently to medicines, and we all recover at different rates. I would definitely stay on the CoQ10 until you feel better. I was taking about 75-100mg a day during my recovery. No one knows what an 'optimal' dose is, I've read some places to take 300mg or more daily if you have statin muscle injury - but that stuff is NOT CHEAP!!!

Best wishes...

HubbleRules

Last edited by HubbleRules; 11-14-2007 at 06:33 PM.

Old 11-18-2007, 11:25 AM   #11
    bsm955
    (female)

bsm955 HB User

I was on 10 mg for about 6 years. Only developed problems after 5+ years. It's been an uphill battle. I found LOTS of published literature in respectable medical journals about neuropathy and myalgia associated with statins (you can do a search on PubMed and see the summaries). It has amazed me that my internist and neurologist were unfamiliar. You have to be your own best advocate.

Old 11-19-2007, 03:07 PM   #12
    rudiraven
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User

I've also read some info that statins are related to ALS like symptoms and an ALS diagnosis, in some cases. Dr. Graveline, aka Space Doc, has just been diagnosed with ALS. I would recommend that anyone contemplating taking a statin do thorough research and make an informed decision. It's very scary that Drs. don't know more about this .

Old 11-20-2007, 09:08 AM   #13
    Guy1_USA
    Inactive
    (male)

Guy1_USA HB User

I was taking Baychol when they pulled it off the shelf because it was desolving heart muscle.

Statins are nasty!

Take them only as a last resort... IMHO.

Old 12-17-2007, 09:06 AM   #14
    Braveheart07
    (male)

Braveheart07 HB User

Hey All--
    Just reading through these older posts, looking for answers---I have to add my name to the list---Took Tricor for 4 years. It was ok at first,but then, I started to feel tired quite often. I chalked this up to my bartendeing several night a week, then early days with my school age boys, working out 4 days a week, and not eating right...this got worse over the next 2-3 years. Finally I complained to my Dr. (I had several times before) and he suggested Lipitor (I'm thinking 20mg. but I'm not sure) I don't remember my cholesterol number, but it was border-line high, as was my BP, and Tri's. Being that heart disease runs in the family I took Lipitor, and Diovan (for BP). LIPITOR was ok at first 6-8 months not much different than tricor---Then it really kicked in---muscle, joint pain, lethargy, impatience with my boys, and the kicker was Memory loss. I couldn't remember the simplest things (I had an excellent memory)..I was in a FOG,tired ,sore, and ****** off. One day a felt chest muscles twitching like crazy. Given my family history, I was really concerned...they would last a minute or so, returning every 5-10 minutes. I went to the emergency room, and was immediately admitted. Stayed the night, had ALL the tests----nothing cardiac related was the answer---"must be a muscular issue" I worked out 4 days a week..I thought it was possible but unlikely...I stopped LIPITOR immediatey...My memory quickly came back....my muscles are a different story...I started feeling really weak on my left side. I couldn't run at all, and would sometimes have a really "spastic gait", poor balance, and loss of dexterity in my left hand. This didn't happen until Aug-Sept..and I stopped Lipitor in March. I didn't make the connection...I have seen 2 neurologists, and 4 neuro-surgeons to determine my issues. I do have some disc issues in my C-spine, causing compression on my cord, but all Dr.'s agree that "something else is going on..." I have gone through 2 emg's, sep, and 2 MRI's. I'm still going through tests to determine the cause of all this---I AM CONVINCED THAT LIPITOR HAS CAUSED STATIN-NEUROPATHY....There is a ton of research on this...check out Dr. Graveline...CoQ10 seems to be the main supplement suggested to best combat these effects. It is not cheap, but I'll find other ways to save money...I'm going to start taking 200-300 mg's daily, and I'll keep posting to update my progress.....DON'T TAKE STATINS !!! If you do---Stop and take CoQ10...do the research yourself....Dr's are great in certain cases, but when they have no answer---find it yourself---this board is a great place to start !! GOOD LUCK TO ALL
    Doug

Last edited by Braveheart07; 12-17-2007 at 09:07 AM.

Old 12-18-2007, 06:13 PM   #15
    Imacarbuff
    (male)

Imacarbuff HB User

Lipitor caused me a lot of pain and concern about a year and a half ago. I stopped taking it and started taking 150mg of COQ-10. It has taken this long to recover to about 85-90%. Muscle pain was bad but the extreme fatigue was worse. Also, the tingling and numbness in my feet was of great concern. I'm much better now...and I've given up on getting back to 100%-but thankful to have found this board when I did. Recovery will take time if statins are the reason for your problems. I took them for over 7 years before they caused me any problems. Now, I watch what I eat more and my last numbers were not too bad. I'm due to go back for bloodwork so that I can be sure that I am holding the numbers at a level that I am comfortable with. ( Total under 250, LDL under 130 and HDL over 40). Yes, I know that those numbers are not what the Dr.'s are shooting for. Statins will bring my numbers way down-but when they got me to where I didn't want to climb a flight of stairs-what's the point! I don't smoke, BP is fine and my weight is 200 at 6' 2" which I think is reasonable.
    Good luck and remember, this could take some time.

Closed Thread