It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board

• Pregnancy post-Lasik

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-18-2007, 09:32 AM   #1
    Skylar_
    (female)

Skylar_ HB User
    Pregnancy post-Lasik

I've heard you should wait 6 months after surgery to get pregnant-something about healing time for your eyes. I would really like to get pregnant earlier than that-sometime around 4 months post-Lasik. Next time I see my doctor I'll ask about this but thought someone else on this board might have additional information/personal account concerning pregnancy WITHIN 6 months of surgery. So far I'm very fortunate to have a great Lasik experience, so not sure if waiting 6 months is necessary...thoughts?? Thanks, Skylar

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-20-2007, 04:56 PM   #2
    soderbee
    (female)

soderbee HB User
    Re: Pregnancy post-Lasik

Hi Skylar...been following your lasik experience as well. I had the exact same surgery as you 1 week after you. Anyways, the office mgr at the eye drs had told me her lasik story and it involved pregnancy. She had lasik almost 2 yrs ago and shortly thereafter became pregnant. What happened to her was her night vision started to get more blurry and increased dryness as her pregnancy continued. She kept bugging the dr if she was alright and he told her it was her hormones and it would go away after she had the baby. It did completely from what she said. No glasses or repeat of the lasik needed. Hope that helps! Good to hear you eyes are doing well mine are too! A little dry and I have a twitch now and then in my right lid (he says is unrelated), 20/20 as of a month and half. Take care.

Old 11-21-2007, 03:46 AM   #3
    airline
    (female)

airline HB User

Hello Skylar,
    how you doing?? If you remember I posted on here enquiring about the same topic. Yesterday I took the plunge and had my eyes lasered. I enquired about falling pregnant as was concerned due to the change in the eye (amongst other parts of the body!!!) My surgeon, advised that there 'may' be a need for an adjustment, but not necessarily as it could rectify itself. Adjustments for life are free, so that's good. He said that 'theoretically' the concern was for the first 7 days after the op. when the drops you use 'could' pass through the placenta, but there's no hard evidence of this. His final say was as long as you're not pregnant now, or fall in the next 7 days it's fine. Hope that helps.
    ps i'm going to post my experience, because I found yours v. helpful thanks.

Old 11-23-2007, 07:59 PM   #4
    Skylar_
    (female)

Skylar_ HB User

Thanks for your replies! I had heard "wait 6 months"-maybe that is an abundance of caution. Glad to hear the 7 days figure. We'd like to have a baby and could potentially be pregnant as early as 4 months post-Lasik. I can't see why it would be a problem, especially since to this point my eye surgery has been uncomplicated. I'll ask 12/4 when I go for my 2 month follow-up and let you know what I hear.

Also, Airline, glad to hear you had the surgery-post and let us know how it's going! Skylar

Old 11-23-2007, 08:41 PM   #5
    airline
    (female)

airline HB User

Cheers Skylar,
    it's been amazing! very happy. I posted a thread called something like 'my positive laser story'

Closed Thread