It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board

• Anyone use Similac Alimentum?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-26-2007, 08:23 AM   #1
    cmarie313
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cmarie313 HB User
    Anyone use Similac Alimentum?

My daughter is 4 weeks old (she was a 34 week preemie) My pediatrician just switched my daughter to Similac Alimentum because she has been projectile vomitting and getting constipated and very gassy on the other formulas. So far we tried Similac Advance, Enfamil Gentlease, and Similac Isomil.

I just wanted to see if anyone has used the Alimentum and how it worked. I really am hoping for a miracle because I feel so bad for my daughter. She cries so hard when she has to poop or pass gas. The vomitting is just awful...it goes everywhere.

We are already burping her very frequently throughout the feedings, she only drinks about 2 oz maybe 2 1/2 each feeding, we hold her up for 1/2 hour after each meal, she sleeps on an incline, and we use the Dr. Brown's bottles. They do not anticipate that it is a gastro problem with the muscle being too small because they said she would vomit after every feeding and she doesn't (between 1-4 times a day). She is consistently gaining weight.

I would love to hear any success stories or "horror" stories.
    Thanks,
    cmarie
    *Olivia Grace born 10/23/07...our little miracle!

Last edited by cmarie313; 11-26-2007 at 08:24 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-26-2007, 09:17 AM   #2
    neshee
    Inactive
    (female)

neshee HB User
    Re: Anyone use Similac Alimentum?

Hello! My DS is on this stuff, and it is AMAZING! I love it, all but the smell! It is horrible! LOL! But you get used to it. I had my son early as well, he was a 31 weeker. At 6 weeks he was diagnosed with a milk protein allergy. He was bleeding in his stool. So, first we tried Enfamil Nutramigen (Alimentum's counterpart) and it worked to clear up the blood, but gave him ALOT of gas and he ended up with a huge bloody rash!! This rash lasted another 6 weeks while I tried (including docs instructions) every cream on the market! Nothing worked, and I finally talked my gastro into switching formulas. I switched to the Alimentum, and the rash cleared within a week! He is less gassy, fussy and upset. Back then, I could literally feel the gas working in his tummy, and now, nothing. He is a great baby now! His reflux has almost cleared up as well. He is now 5 1/2 months old, (3 1/2 adj) and he is doing so great. I highly recommend this formula. He is growing and doing great on it! The only downfall is the price, and if you get WIC, this helps ALOT! If you don't, I would call the company, get samples from your doc, and check the interent (just be aware of scammers that sell out of date stuff!) and try to get the best deal. Have Similac send you coupons. I get WIC, so I get 8 cans free a month, but after that, if I need more, I have to buy it myself. I am holding on to ALL the similac coupons I get for the future! Good luck. I REALLY pray that this will help your DD, and I am sure it will....remember that it takes about 2 weeks for a formula to work 100%.

Old 11-26-2007, 09:55 AM   #3
    cmarie313
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cmarie313 HB User

Thanks for the story! I am so happy that your DS did so well on this formula. That gives me so much hope!

What is WIC? Do you use the powder or ready to feed? The ready to feed is so much more convenient and it seems to be a little thicker than the powder.

I just gave my DD her first feeding with the Alimentum and she just threw up I know that it is not probably from this formula but I just wish she would stop throwing up!!!! I have to change all her clothes...it is such an ordeal.

Thank you!
    cmarie

Old 11-26-2007, 10:21 AM   #4
    LauraLu
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

LauraLu HB UserLauraLu HB User

cmarie313 ~ WIC stands for Women, Infants, and Children. It's an organization that helps families that don't make quite as much money and just need a little extra help with formula and other basic foods. I also have WIC and get 9 12 oz cans of Similac Isomil Soy, plus juice, eggs, cereal, cheese, and milk. Let me tell you - when you are fighting to pay your bills, it's very reassuring to know you can at least feed your child and yourself.
    As far as your formula situation, my 8 month old nephew (born at 38 weeks and is a twin), is also on Similac Alimentum. He was diagnosed with a milk allergy and acid reflux. Honestly, he still spits up a lot, but is doing much better than when he was a newborn. He takes Zantac for his reflux too.
    Something that you may want to try with your little one's adjustment to the formula: try introducing the new formula slowly by mixing it 1:4, 1:2, and eventually until it's all Alimentum. Sometimes the switch is a shock to their tiny bodies. This may help with the transition and sometimes it takes a good week to see any kind of improvement. Don't give up, and make sure to ask your pediatrician for samples! Good luck!
    P.S. I find that the powder is easier to digest in my daughter and is much cheaper...she hates the ready to feed!

Last edited by LauraLu; 11-26-2007 at 10:22 AM.

Old 11-26-2007, 01:53 PM   #5
    neshee
    Inactive
    (female)

neshee HB User

Yes, the WIC program is WONDERFUL!! They can get it (in NY state anyway) until they are 5 years old! So, you know you will always have food to give them, and honestly, sometimes I get too many eggs, and juice! We just aren't egg people! LOL! So, I give them to our church for their food program. I would seriously look into it! I use the powdered formula. BUT I hate mixing it. Ready to feed is a great idea....so I mix it up ahead of time....to save me always making a bottle. I usually do about 24 oz at a time (12 scoops) and it really lasts about a day. So, I am only mixing it once a day. Plus, if you have a sitter, they have food readily available. I just bought a cheap Rubbermaid pouring container and use that, b/c it is already labeled with oz. Good luck!

Old 11-26-2007, 04:47 PM   #6
    baj406
    Veteran
    (female)

baj406 HB User

My sister uses Alimentum and you wouldn't think her son is the same kid that he was on Isomil. We use Nutramigen, which is Enfamil's competition to Alimentum. DS had the projectile vomiting and gas that you describe. This formula made those things all but disappear and I'm sure Alimentum would have done the same. I was actually incredibly close to asking DS's doctor to switch him to Alimentum, but I don't totally remember why. I just know that it started to get better, so I didn't ask.
    Anywho...I'm sure you'll get the miracle you're hoping for. Good luck.

Old 11-27-2007, 09:24 AM   #7
    cmarie313
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cmarie313 HB User

Thank you all so much for your replies...I am hoping that I will find the same success as you all did!

When did you start to see results?

cmarie

Old 11-27-2007, 02:58 PM   #8
    baj406
    Veteran
    (female)

baj406 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmarie313 View Post
    Thank you all so much for your replies...I am hoping that I will find the same success as you all did!

When did you start to see results?

cmarie
    For his vomiting (which was my main concern) results were immediate and drastic. As far as gas I'd say it took a week or two to realize that he wasn't having that issue. Of course, I wasn't too concerned about that one so it may have been improved before I really took notice. My main advice is to make sure you give 2 full weeks for improvement. I hope you see good results.

Old 11-28-2007, 01:36 PM   #9
    cmarie313
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cmarie313 HB User

Well, today was the second day on the Alimentum and she threw up 2 times so far. Yesterday, she threw up 3 times. I just wish it would stop!!!! I have her propped so high in her bassinet on an incline to help and we are starting to feed her smaller amounts of formula at a time. She didn't poop yet today but when she did yesterday it was still hard This is so frustrating to me...I feel so bad for her!
    cmarie

Old 11-28-2007, 03:23 PM   #10
    LauraLu
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

LauraLu HB UserLauraLu HB User

You can always try adding a few teaspoons of dark Karo syrup to her bottles. I did that to every other bottle when my four month old became constipated at one month. EVERYTHING will come right out!

Closed Thread