It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• What Does Slightly Anemic Mean

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-29-2007, 07:02 PM   #16
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
    Re: What Does Slightly Anemic Mean

Yes, everything you mention ~can~ be symptoms of anemia and low Ferritin (iron storage),or not. Some people have thyroid problems that mimic the same symptoms of anemia. Have you had your thyroid checked lately? I have Hashi's and a low Ferritin. Both can make your hair fall. It's a simple blood test to check and I would encourage you to have one done if you haven't already. There are a lot of people on this board with similar problems such as this.

Before I became ill I went to the GYN and said I think I'm anemic and stated the symptoms. It turned out to be my thyroid at the time. Then I went to the Endo later and stated symptoms and I had no Ferritin and anemia. But you can have both like me at the same time and you really have a hard time deciphering what is what. FLFLOWERGIRL

The Following User Says Thank You to FLFLOWERGIRL For This Useful Post:
    cnewber14 (03-02-2012)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-30-2007, 05:48 AM   #17
    cathy425
    (female)

cathy425 HB User

Thank you for your quick responses. I will ask the Dr. to check my thyroid; I never had that done and I'm 51 years old. I will look up Hashi's because I don't know what that is.

Cathy

Old 11-30-2007, 07:57 AM   #18
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

Cathy--It's an autoimmune disease that effects the thyroid function. It makes you Hypothyroid. Correct name is Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. When tested I had antibodies in my blood, that is how they determine a DX, along with testing the TSH. I also had an ultrasound that showed inflammation of the gland. Then they started me on Synthroid.

At your age you should be tested for thyroid function. You don't necessarily have to have the autoimmune part. It's worth checking because thyroid function can change as we age. FLFLOWERGIRL

Last edited by FLFLOWERGIRL; 11-30-2007 at 01:30 PM.

Old 11-30-2007, 09:27 AM   #19
    cathy425
    (female)

cathy425 HB User

Thank you. You have a wealth of information, but I wish you weren't sick too!

Old 11-30-2007, 01:32 PM   #20
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thanks so much. I'm sick of being sick! The last few weeks I have made great strides in recovery. I'm Beginning to feel a little like my old self, I almost forgot who I was. I just want to be able to go back to work again. I really don't know how everyone else does it. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 11-30-2007, 03:12 PM   #21
    cathy425
    (female)

cathy425 HB User

I will keep you in my prayers. You've been a great help to me!

Old 12-17-2007, 12:49 PM   #22
    cathy425
    (female)

cathy425 HB User

I went to the hematologist today and all my blood tests came back normal. The only concern is that my blood count dropped even though I've been taking an iron prescription. She took more blood for a retic count and if it's not good, she said I will get iron from an iv.

Old 12-17-2007, 04:47 PM   #23
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cathy425 View Post
    I went to the hematologist today and all my blood tests came back normal. The only concern is that my blood count dropped even though I've been taking an iron prescription. She took more blood for a retic count and if it's not good, she said I will get iron from an iv.
    Cathy--Good for you that your blood tests came back normal. Is that your Hgb that is dropping? I went through that for a long time until I fixed the reason for the bleeding, and took the right amount of iron the right way, then I got better. Like I said before my retic count was at the high end when I reached the non-anemic stage of 12. You really want the scrip iron to work for you if you can. I wish you the best of luck with your iron therapy. Any questions about getting the most absorption out of it just ask and someone here will have good advice for you. Be well. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 12-17-2007, 04:57 PM   #24
    cathy425
    (female)

cathy425 HB User

Thank you for your reply. My doctor was kind of rushed so I'm not sure I understood exactly what she was talking about. She just said my RBC had dropped from when I had my blood test on November 26 and the one I had today. She said she wanted to be sure that I was producing new red cells.

Old 12-17-2007, 05:43 PM   #25
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Yes, because that might mean another type of anemia or iron resistant. Sounds like you have a good doctor anyway. Just keep asking questions until you understand, it's your time too. FLFLOWERGIRL

Closed Thread