It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Withdrawal-Help, please...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-30-2007, 10:13 AM   #1
    jumper101
    (female)

jumper101 HB User
    Withdrawal-Help, please...

I was in the hospital Oct 3-27 for two lung surgeries and was given Percocet with occasional Dilauded and Morphine for pain. I was sent home with Percocet 5/325 and 7.5/500 Lortab and have followed this schedule since then:

Week 1: 1 Percocet every three hours (8 per day).
    Week 2: 1 Percocet every four hours (6 per day).
    Week 3: 1 Percocet every 5-6 hours, as needed (4-6 per day).
    Week 4: 1 Percocet, 3 Lortab per day (4 per day).
    Week 5: 1 Percocet, 3 Lortab per day (4 per day).

I now don't think I am allowing myself to tolerate ANY pain--I should be seeing improvement in my feeling, but seem to feel more discomfort that is generalized (vs. the sharp pain I had before) and less results when I take the meds. This made me feel I should take more--but my docs say I am healing beautifully.

So... two days ago I decided to cut to 3 per day and discovered withdrawal symptoms! It scared the hell out of me and I took my last Percocet about 26 hours ago, skipping the dose before that one. My symptoms: diarhea, cold sweats, yawning, chills, extremely achy joints, runny nose, restlessness.

I want this crap out of my system. I read home detox and took Nyquil before bed last night and Dayquil this morning. It helped with achy joints and sleep at night. The worst part is that I want to sleep it off today, but am so uncomfortable and restless I am ready to scream and climb the walls. I took a bath, am bundled up, but my body hurts to lay down (joints). I am downing OJ, apples, bananas, and water. Any suggestions you make that might make me more comfortable will be appreciated. I took the day off work and the weekend is around the corner.

I have never had an addiction problem but have been on meds for nearly two months. Please share the cycles/time frame I should expect until I am human again. It is so good to know I am not alone.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-30-2007, 10:28 AM   #2
    mk7657
    Veteran
    (male)

mk7657 HB User
    Re: Withdrawal-Help, please...

Hi, and welcome.

A general rule of thumb is peak withdrawals in 3-4 days. Just "know" that it starts to get better after this. Hang in there; you don't have far to go. You are not taking enough pills for really horrible withdrawals.

Get outside and try to walk it out. This is what helps me the most. Try to enjoy the scenery and get withdrawals out of your mind. Soon, you will feel better.

Good luck,

mk

Old 11-30-2007, 01:09 PM   #3
    mini59
    Inactive
    (female)

mini59 HB User

jumper, it's so great that you are nipping full blown addiction in the bud. I know for me, that withdrawal was so hellish that the thought of enduring it again is what prevents me from using. Or rather, abusing. I have a nearly full bottle of percocets, which I was prescribed after an operation I had a week ago. You'd better believe that I took those puppies only when the pain was intolerable! None of that "every 4-6 hour" crap. The pain is getting way less severe now so I should probably stop taking them. Strangely, and this is a GOOD thing, I'm not getting much, if any, of a high from these. I got more from Vicodin....go figure.

Anyway, you'll come out of this very very soon, not to worry!

K.

Old 11-30-2007, 01:22 PM   #4
    MAN3
    (male)

MAN3 HB User

Hi Jumper,
    Glad that you are recovering well from surgery. We are all different and I am surprised that you are having WDs as bad as that. Your dosage is quite nominal. You have had surgery and you do have alot of "crap" in your system that needs to get out. You definitely do not seem to have any of the mental craving, seems to be purely physical ,so you should be just fine in another day or 2.

Old 11-30-2007, 02:46 PM   #5
    jumper101
    (female)

jumper101 HB User

Thank you for the encouragement. I took Dayquil this morning and Extra Strength Tylenol in the afternoon. While this takes the edge off, I don't feel myself enough to find things to do. I am just waiting... which is awful in itself. I'm glad I didn't work today. I have had mild diarhea, chills, cold sweats, runny nose, and mild anxiety. My chest is uncomfortable from inactivity so I plan to take mk7657's advice and go for a walk.

Again, I appreciate the information and help with this.

Old 12-01-2007, 05:59 PM   #6
    jumper101
    (female)

jumper101 HB User

Update: I haven't taken anything now for 2-1/2 days. The joint aches and restlessness were the worst part of this and are significantly better today. I have been walking for about 25 minutes and it helps a lot. I am a runner, which would likely kick endorphins, but because I am less than six weeks out of lung surgery I can't yet.

What I feel most is a clear mind. I can't believe the difference. I realize now that I was often anxious, waiting for my next meds. Unfortunately, I have a bit of chest pain. I am hopeful that my body will re-learn how to naturally cope with pain in the days to come. It isn't intolerable and I have decided that it is better than what I was getting with the meds--which seemed to do less and less for the pain.

Old 12-10-2007, 03:49 PM   #7
    Daniel270
    (male)

Daniel270 HB User

i cant sit here long enough to look to see if im posting in the right spot,ive been taking 10mg lortab 1-2 4 times a day,i get 120 a moth for chronic pancreatitis today is the 10th and ive been out since the 8th my script was filled the 22nd of Nov. yes i know i should still have some but i dont ,im feeling very very lethargic ,chills ,runny nose. Is ther anything i can do to help knock these symptoms out ???,im drinking alot of fluids,non-alchoholic i might add ,apple juice and taking my vtamins ,ive been taking lortab for about a year ,are these withdrawls?? i feel they are ,i dont want to become addicted ,ive been sober from alchohol 3 yrs ,i dont want that to happen again with these ...thanks ,please help me.
    Daniel270

Old 12-10-2007, 07:18 PM   #8
    granny0
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

granny0 HB User

Daniel, I hate to say this, but it sounds like you are already addicted. You've gone though 120 Lortab between 11/22 and 12/8. That's a lot of pills and you must be taking a good bit more than your doctor rx'd. I was also addicted to mainly hydrocodone, but prior to quiting, was taking oxycontin, morphine and hydro, a few pills everyday for about 3 months. Prior to that, I had them when I could get my hands on them. I was in denial that I was an addict until I ran out and could not get anymore. When the withdrawals started, I thought I had a virus, even ran a low grade fever. Fatigue, lack of appetite, stomach issues, insomnia, body aches....sound familiar. I went cold turkey. Didn't find this board until the physical withdrawal was over. There is a "home detox plan" listed at the beginning of the board. I suggest you read that and get whatever it recommends to get through the physical withdrawal. It's not easy, think of it like getting over a bug. But the big thing you have ahead of you is what are you going to do now, about this addiction? Do you really need that much Lortab for your pain or are you just taking to feel good? I suspect it's the latter. You need to want to quit and it sounds like you do. Are you seeing a pain management dr? I think you need to let whoever you are seeing know what's going on with the Lortab and seek alternative pain relief. I've never been but have been hearing a lot of positive posts on NA meetings. I hope you find help soon.
    Best wishes,
    JB

Old 12-11-2007, 03:22 PM   #9
    muriel79
    (female)

muriel79 HB User

WTG Jumper. Glad to hear your mind is clearing and you're doing better. You've been through quite a bit with surgery and the meds, but you'll get back to being you again. Just hang in, keep on keeping on.

Daniel, do you see yourself as addicted, as an addict? Only you can say that for sure for yourself, but bottom line: Are you addicted? If so, do you want to get and stay clean?

Wishing you each the best,

Muriel

Closed Thread