It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Had Lap Nissen Fundoplication...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-30-2007, 07:12 AM   #1
    cammee
    (female)

cammee HB User
    Smile Had Lap Nissen Fundoplication...

I had the surgery 2 weeks ago and I feel awesome, still have the lump in my throat feeling at times but at last checkup the doc said my damage was so bad that it may take awhile for that to subside, other than that I have been symptom free since the moment I woke up in recovery. I'm not eating everything yet, very little meats and no breads or rice, but I do eat a lot of other stuff, just have to take really small bites and chew chew chew, otherwise it will get stuck in there and that is very uncomfortable. Surgical pain has been minimal, took pain meds for a few days then went to over the counter meds.
    This surgery has been a blessing to me, can't believe I suffered for years before doing this. I recommend it to anyone who suffers from reflux on a regular basis.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-30-2007, 02:47 PM   #2
    CASSIEBEL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CASSIEBEL HB User
    Re: Had Lap Nissen Fundoplication...

Hi Cammee
    I have had this since 1989. Tried ALL meds. They work for awhile and then heartburn, burping, chestpain all come back. I would like to hear more about your surgery.
    Cass

Old 11-30-2007, 03:45 PM   #3
    cammee
    (female)

cammee HB User

Cass, that's the way it was for me, for years I took meds that only worked a little while or not at all, then everything would come back. I didn't have so much "heartburn" per say, I had bad chest pain, would sometimes travel into my shoulder and jaw, stomach pain,burping,lump in my throat.
    Everything eventually became my enemy, I was down to eating very bland foods, and even sometimes those would trigger me into an attack, which could last for hours and then the after effects of it would go on for days.
    I finally found a surgeon that listened to me and started running tests and we discovered I had Barretts, ulcers in my throat,bile refluxing back into my stomach, and LPR. Surgery was the best option for me at this time, I am only 39 and since meds weren't working for me and the damage was only getting worse, (I had a scope a year ago and it only showed mild damage, no Barretts) so all this damage happened in a years time. The acid test showed I would reflux about 80% of the time, and the scarey thing was I had gotten so used to it that I never even know it was happening most of the time. I found an awesome general surgeon, Had the surgery on a Thursday afternoon, took a little over an hour, went home on Friday and have had no symptoms since then, it has been amazing for me, I actually ate some spaghetti tonight, which was a huge no no before this, and I am feeling fine.
    If you have any more questions, just ask, I would be more than happy to help you out.
    Carmel

Old 11-30-2007, 04:28 PM   #4
    HURTEN
    (female)

HURTEN HB User

Hi Ya,i Too Suffer And Have Had Heartburn Since I Am 12 Yrs Old.now In My 50's,everything Gives Me Heart Burn.
    What Do You Mean You The Food Gets Stuck?
    That Is What Im Afrid Of Choking Is A Big Problem For Me
    I Would Love To Have This Done I Am So Tired Of It There Are Times I Cant Sleep Because Of The Fire. Please Explain More About The Swallowing Part, Does It Get Better??

Old 11-30-2007, 05:37 PM   #5
    CASSIEBEL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CASSIEBEL HB User

I am curious about the actuall surgery. How is it done? I'm not sure how to find the kind of surgeon to do this.
    My chest pain was so bad my cardio doc did a stress test yesterday. I feel relieved knowing it's not my heart but at the same time I am depressed because I've tried all the meds and now nothing seems to help. I was on Prevacid for a number of years with pretty good results. Then about a month ago it stared again first the burping, then the chest and stomach pain. My doc switched me to Nexium (second go-round with this one) twice a day. No results. So now I am truly desperate.
    Thanks for your reply
    Cass

Old 12-03-2007, 06:39 AM   #6
    cammee
    (female)

cammee HB User

To answer your questions,
    Hurten,
    If I take too big of a bite or don't chew something very well it can get stuck going thru where the wrap is, when that happens I have to either relax and let it pass or cough it up and start over, but if it does happen it is my fault for taking to big of a bite or not chewing very well, I haven't choked on anything, I can still breath fine when it happens, it is just very uncomfortable until it passes or I bring it back up, but as long as I take small bites, eat slowly and chew well I don't have a problem,my doc says that part will get better as I heal more but I will always have to take small bites and chew well.
    Cass,
    I know what you mean about the chest pain, I went to the er many times with it and had all the heart tests done too, feels like a heart attack. My surgery was done LAP, I have 5 small incisions, they pulled my hiatial hernia down and stiched my diaphram tigher so it would stay down, then they take the upper portion of your stomach and wrap it around you loer esphogus to tighten it up so it the flap will stay closed and not allow acid back into your throat, if you do a search on nissen fundoplication you can finds loads of info on it. My doc was a general surgeon, he also does bariactic surgeries too, but it is my understanding that a general surgeon is the best to use for this, but you need to make sure you research the doc very well, you want one that is skilled in this kind of surgery.
    Good luck to you both, anything else you would like to know just ask.
    Carmel

Old 12-03-2007, 07:15 AM   #7
    DreamWeaver2007
    (female)

DreamWeaver2007 HB User

Is this the surgery, where afterwards you can never throw up again? Or is that another surgery?
    THX

Old 12-03-2007, 08:03 AM   #8
    cammee
    (female)

cammee HB User

According to my doctor I should be able to throw up eventually, after everything has healed, I understand that some never can again, and some have trouble with burping, I can burp, although they are very small so most of the gas has to leave the other way, but that is getting better all the time.
    I am willing to give up the ability to vomit so I can finally be pain free, I was never one to vomit much anyway so it isn't much of an issue for me.
    I do know the suring the surgery my doc used something like a spacer to make sure he didn't get the wrap to tight so I would retain the ability to burp and eventually vomit.
    Carmel

Old 12-03-2007, 10:54 AM   #9
    DreamWeaver2007
    (female)

DreamWeaver2007 HB User

I'm not one that likes to throw up but recently had a very bad stomach flu, and my body insisted on getting rid of what was in my stomach!
    So what happens after a surgery like this, lets say you get food poisoning or the flu?

FYI- I battle acid coming up into my throat daily- and wonder what options I have.

Old 12-03-2007, 03:48 PM   #10
    cammee
    (female)

cammee HB User

My doctor gave me reglan in case I got sick to my stomach, but I haven't had to take any. I guess if you had the flu or food poisoning then it would have to pass thru the other way if you weren't able to bring it up, but like I said, I'm hopefully that if I ever have to I will be able vomit.

Closed Thread