It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board

• Arghh...embarrassing question

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-05-2007, 05:36 PM   #1
    tiredpoet
    Veteran
    (female)

tiredpoet HB User
    Arghh...embarrassing question

I am hoping someone can relate to this:
    I am in my early 30s, blonde with fair skin. I've always had acne and a ton...i mean a TON of blonde facial hair, mostly soft but it gets long and I spent a lot of time dealing with it.
    My acne is fairly under control at the moment but my skin is still bad. I've tried every treatment there is, even accutane twice, a whole bunch of bcps, etc.

BUT, my reason for this post is that the most embarrassing thing I deal with is really dark, course hairs that grow on my chin. If I pluck them with tweezers they are back and just as dark by the next day! I also get one that pops up on my cheek every month when I'm premenstral, and one or two on my jawline. I've spent tons of money on electrolysis and it didn't do anything for me, and now I can't afford to keep trying treatments that will fail.

Has anyone ever used this medication called Spironolactone? It is supposed to be good for clearing up acne and helping with excess facial hair. I want to ask my dermatologist if I can try it, but I'm afraid he will not give it to me as it's not technically an acne medication, and for the facial hair he'll probably refer me back to my PC, who is no help at all. (I had a full endo workup, which I went and had on my own, but it was evidently fine).

The other thing I've read about is Vaniqa, but I've read it can make you break out, and that's the last thing I need, to fix one problem and make the other worse!

Anyone have any insight/advice/suggestions? Mainly I'm concerned with the dark, course hairs on my chin. If I have to live with the light blonde hair all over the rest of my face, so be it (though I'd love to find something that deals with it all, at least I can "trim" the blond hair with one of those simple touch trimmers and it makes it less noticeable. It's a pain because I have to do that every other day or so, but at least it's something).

I'm not worried about getting prescribed something for acne, because I know I can get that, but I need to do something finally about this hair problem. It's been a source of embarrassment for over 20 years now, it's time to deal with it once and for all. I was on the pill (a few different kinds) for 17 years and it didn't help. I need any advice I can get. If you can, please help!

Thanks, Happy Holidays!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2007, 10:28 AM   #2
    maddelyn
    (female)

maddelyn HB User
    Re: Arghh...embarrassing question

I'm like you - light blonde facial hair with some pesky black ones on my chin. I also use one of those simple touch trimmers on my face - but I also bought a "Tweez'e" for the ones on my chin. You can find them at most drug stores now and they're not that expensive. They're somewhat simmilar to the trimmers, but they pull the hairs out from the root - mine don't grow back for a good month. They advise not to use on entire face though. Hope this helps!

Old 12-07-2007, 08:40 PM   #3
    leighanne333
    (female)

leighanne333 HB User

go get laser hair removal believe me its worth it and you no longer have to deal with it....the price has come down and its not all that expensive. wish I had done it while I was younger instead of waiting...might as well do the bikini line while you are at it.

Old 12-09-2007, 11:53 AM   #4
    tiredpoet
    Veteran
    (female)

tiredpoet HB User

Thanks for the responses! Unfortunately I can't afford laser at this time, but it's something I know I'll look into eventually.

For Maddelyn or anyone else who has used the Tweez'e, is it easy to use and did it cause any irritation or lasting redness or anything?

I had soooooooo much electrolysis done, and it didn't work; every single hair is still there, but what I rememeber most about it is that it hurt a lot and my skin would remain red for hours after. But I will definitely give the Tweez'e a try.

I'd still love to hear from anyone who has used Spironolactone and had any success with reduction of facial hair.

Thanks!

Old 12-10-2007, 08:18 AM   #5
    maddelyn
    (female)

maddelyn HB User

Tweez'e does not cause any irritation or redness. It just pulls the hair from the roots from small, targeted areas. It's a similar feeling to just plucking hair with tweezers.

Old 12-10-2007, 07:26 PM   #6
    Jelohi
    (female)

Jelohi HB User

You might try asking about spironalactone on the acne board. I know some are treating acne with it, maybe you could ask if they noticed a reduction in facial hair or not?

Old 12-20-2007, 05:02 PM   #7
    tiredpoet
    Veteran
    (female)

tiredpoet HB User

Okay, I got a Tweez'e and I tried it and it didn't "hurt" but it definitely zings! It's the same kind of pinch I remember from electrolysis--did I buy the right thing? I'm holding it at 90 degrees like it says, but it doesn't seem to be getting any hairs except the real course thick ones.
    Anyway, saw the doc today and so long as my potassium blood test comes back okay I'll be starting spiro soon. Hopefully I can figure out how to use this Tweez'e thing to help deal with the existing facial hairs.

Old 12-21-2007, 07:37 AM   #8
    maddelyn
    (female)

maddelyn HB User

Sounds like you got the right thing. It took some practice to get all the hairs. I found if you use it in tight circles, then back and forth, applying a little pressure that it works better. Takes a little practice but you'll get the hang of it!

Old 01-15-2008, 12:40 PM   #9
    Skimmer
    (female)

Skimmer HB User

Oh dear. I need this same thing! I've had laser done on my chin and underarms (ouch) and I'm still getting the hairs growing back, so I'm back to plucking and scarring under my chin. It looks horrible.

I'm thinking about going to one of those Ideal Image clinics for my legs, bikini line, and chin. Has anybody ever tried them? My first 5 laser treatments were at the spa, so maybe they weren't done right.

Plus I have olive skin, and I tan outside alot, so she said maybe that's why it didn't work so good. It's a totally embarassing problem - and I look at other women, and nobody else seems to have this but ME!! I wanna cry

Closed Thread