It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Why Is This Happening?? :-(

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-06-2007, 10:58 AM   #1
    Tifferzz
    (female)

Tifferzz HB User
    Why Is This Happening?? :-(

Hello all, I am not sure if this is normal or not, but I have Low B12 and Low Ferritin Levels. In the beginning of October 2007 my Ferritin was 10 and my B12 was 172. I went to a Hematologist the end of October 2007, he re-tested my B12 and it went up to 252. He ran other tests that day to check for PA, I went back November 7th for the results, they came back negative. With that being said that day he told me to take 1000 mcg's of B12 a day and one Iron tablet per day, I got them and started them the day I was there. I've been taking them every single day, have not missed one day!

I started feeling pretty good about 2 weeks after taking the pills. I was having more energy and was actually doing things that I haven't done in a year, I wasn't having to take naps in the daytime, my lightheadedness wasn't happening as often, I was regular every day and not constipated, I was getting color back on my face and wasn't so pale and white looking.

Anyway .... the past like 5-6 days I have been feeling like I used to. No energy to do anything, feeling tired and lazy, getting lightheaded a lot again and getting constipated (every day)!! Is this normal for this to be happening? I have been taking my pills every day .... I originally thought maybe I was doing too much during those times I was feeling good, but I have been feeling yucky again for this many days straight in a row. I don't know if this is normal or not?? Do you think maybe my body got used to the B12 pills and the Iron pills and maybe I need to take more?? Or is this just a normal process?? If anyone can offer and light please do! I am feeling bummed!!

Thank you

Tifferzz

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2007, 12:58 PM   #2
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
    Re: Why Is This Happening?? :-(

Tifferzz--This has been my pattern throughout my recovery. It's hard to say what is normal because everyone is so different. If you continue to feel bad I would have a simple CBC ran to be sure that nothing else is going on.

I thought that I had CFS or something because I was feeling this way a lot. I found that I can't do too much with my ~energy supply~ or I just run out and the fatigue sets in and it is almost depressing for me. So, I think that it is quite normal for you to have bad periods of time. I think that it is even harder for people that have a B-12 deficiency than just IDA alone.

When I get like this I become very strict with myself; I start resting more, go to bed earlier, try to eat ~very well~ and take my supplements without compromising any of them. It seems to work and I get over the hurdle until the next fatigue sets in and I start all over. You have to remember that you were out of iron and that really effects the body and it's functions. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 12-06-2007, 02:03 PM   #3
    Tifferzz
    (female)

Tifferzz HB User

Hi FLFLOWERGIRL, thank you for replying!! Yeah, at first ... when I first started feeling the energy .... I was so excited so I would do stuff like all day long! I noticed when I did this .... the next like 1 or 2 days or so afterwards I would be tired with no energy. I then thought to myself .... ok, maybe I am doing too much, so I would try not to do so much when I would get these energy bursts. I was doing and feeling really good by doing that stuff .... up until like 5-6 days ago. But now every single day for those past 5-6 days I am feeling like crap! I like it better when I have the energy and feel good! I am wondering if it is the B12 or the Iron that makes me feel this way or if it's both combined? I am already taking 1000 mcg's of B12 a day ..... but maybe I should take two SlowFe tablets a day?? Would that be safe for me to do or try?

Yeah, I know from reading on here that we should rest more when we feel this way. I have been .... but it's not helping and it's bumming me! We have been eating a lot better since we found out about my low b12 and low ferritin. We eat red meat at least 4 times a week and green veggies everytime we eat the red meat. With doing that, it did bring my B12 up a good bit without being on the supplements .... now that I am still doing that plus taking the B12, I am hoping that is rising a lot more! Maybe its the Ferritin thats making me feel this way now with getting periods and stuff? Ohhh, I've also had problems with bleeding gums for the past year. That had gone away after a couple of weeks of taking these B12 and Iron pills. Well, what happened last night when I brushed my teeth?? BLEEDING GUMS! I was like darnnnnnn it, it was going away!! Now it's back.

Hrrrmm, what do you think if I take two Slow Fe's a day? Think that would be safe? Maybe that's what my problem is, maybe I need more Iron? Although the light-headedness is B12 related right? Or is that Low Ferritin related too? I am not sure if my Family Doc. will run more blood tests on me or not. I am supposed to get my B12 and Ferritin level re-checked in 5 months. I could pay for it myself ... just to see what it is, but I don't wanna lose too much blood ya know? Like what if I order these tests myself, and then my Ferritin goes down even more from them drawing blood? I am weird like that LOL. I think, if I get blood drawn now ..... that might take away everything I have been putting into this trying to get better ya know?? If I do a CBC and B12 and Ferritin myself ..... I wonder how much blood that would total. Uggghhh this stinks! I tried telling my hubby that I am feeling like I was .... and he just doesn't understand!! You all here understand cause you all go through the same things, so I am glad you all are here to offer help and suggestions!

P.S. Speaking of my hubby, he had a CBC done recently too because he changed doctors. Aren't guys Hemaglobins supposed to be on the higher end?? His was kinda low I thought. Still in the normal ranges, but I thought it was low for a guy. He has been saying he is tired lately, but the Doctor thinks it's due to his sleep apnea and want him to do another sleep study, although I am wondering if maybe his Iron stuff is on the low side for a guy and makiing him tired??

Old 12-06-2007, 03:57 PM   #4
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

Tifferzz--I think that all of thoses things are a factor in feeling bad. I think that low Ferritin also gives a funny head feeling, so who knows. As we all know, it IS different for everyone.

Slow Fe is a low dose iron and may not be enough to build your stores. I would call the doctor and ask him what he thinks about it.

As for your bleeding gums, what does the dentist say about that?

Sounds like you are doing very well with your diet, it will pay off for you in the long run.

I would not pay for more testing, I would call your doc, tell him how you are feeling and see if he thinks you should have a CBC or up the iron or both. And no, it's not alot blood for the testing. I asked because it was a BIG concern of mine. You wouldn't want to do it unless it is necessary.

The optimal male is 16 range 14-18. Good luck. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 12-06-2007, 04:46 PM   #5
    Tifferzz
    (female)

Tifferzz HB User

Thank you so much FLFLOWERGIRL! Yeah the Hematologist wanted me to take I think it was 325 mg's of the Ferrous Sulfate per day?? Not sure if I spelled that right, but then I was talking on here and I remember someone said that the Slow Fe is pretty close to the actual 325 mg's of Ferrous Sulfate .... as far as actual Iron you are getting. So, since they were pretty close in what the Doctor wanted me to take, I have been just taking those. I was just wondering if I could take 2 Slow Fe's per day, like one in the morning and one at night and see if that helps.

About the bleeding gums thing .... the Dentist said that I have some gingivitis, and so I have been on a prescription tooth paste and also the Sonicare tooth brush for over a year now. I did however read somewhere .... after I found out that I had the Low B12 and Low Ferritin, that one of those deficiencies can cause bleeding gums. I cannot remember which it was .... I'll have to research it to find it again. But yeah ... the bleeding gums had stopped a couple weeks after starting the B12 and Iron pills, then last night it started again. Then I was laying in bed ..... and piecing everything together, I was like ... ok, I have been feeling bad again for this many days, my gums are bleeding again, what the heck??

Thanks on telling me the blood thing .... I know they usually take anywhere from 2-4 tubes of blood per testing .... so, I didn't wanna loose a lot and feel like I will mess up what I have been doing the past month with taking the pills ya know? I don't want my Ferritin levels to drop more because I am having testing.

Thank you too on the optimal levels for men!!! I thought I remembered reading that here somewhere that mens sohuld be higher. Here is are some of my hubby's numbers, I think he may have some Low Iron issues or close to it anyway, what do you think?? Maybe that is why he feels tired too??

WBC - 9.4 (3.8 - 11.0)
    RBC - 4.94 (4.00 - 5.80)
    HGB - 14.8 (13.0 - 17.3)
    HCT - 43.3 (38.0 - 52.0)
    MCH - 30.0 (27.0 - 34.0)
    RDW - 12.9 (11.5 - 16.0)
    MPV - 7.8 (6.6 - 10.8)

I wonder what his Ferritin Level is, think he should have it tested?? I did see that the mens Lab Ranges are different. Like his ranges are different than mine, and they are from the same lab. Mens I guess need to be higher than womens??

Last edited by Tifferzz; 12-06-2007 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Ooops, I meant 325 mg's of Ferrous Sulfate, not 326 mg's, sorry!

Old 12-06-2007, 05:10 PM   #6
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Tifferzz--I think that the Slow Fe is less than Ferris Sulfate which is 325 @ 65mgs. of iron. You might be taking a little less. I would feel safe taking 2 Slow Fe because my doc told me if I changed iron to take two because it is a low dose. I was going to try it at one time but didn't.

I don't know what to tell you about men and ranges other than men don't ~uaually~ have a problem with anemia. His numbers might just be normal for him. I would question the doctor on where he would like his numbers to fall. I think that his H & H look normal. I really don't know what to think about optimal numbers. I wonder how many people really function at those levels? I don't think that they will run a Ferritin unless they have a good reason. FLFLOWERGIRL

Closed Thread