It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• ferratin

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-07-2007, 06:46 AM   #1
    sus1988
    (female)

sus1988 HB User
    ferratin

I was very tired all summer. I was working as a camp councillor and living at the camp 24/7 so I thought it was just the change of routine and never having a break. By late August I really did not feel well so I went to the camp doctor and he ran a blood test. Said my ferratin was 13. He gave me iron pills and told me to see my doctor when I got home. My doctor was not real concerned and said when I finished the prescription to run another blood test. Now my ferratin is 25. My doctor is not worried.The first doctor said it should be 125-150. What should it be and should I find another doctor?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2007, 07:34 AM   #2
    ChristineVA
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User
    Re: ferratin

Optimal ferritin for a woman is anywhere from 70 on up. I know quite a few people who have a ferritin of 70 and feel great.

Both your ferritin numbers, while on the lower end of normal, are still within the normal standards which is why your doctor is not concerned. My guess is that you are probably not anemic either, which is a bigger concern.

I do think that you can be symptomatic with the ferritin levels you have but they actually should be getting a slight bit better now that your ferritin is rising.

Honestly, if your ferritin was 5 and your doctor was dismissing you--yeah, I'd say you might want to seek another opinion. But your numbers are normal (albeit low) and they are responding to oral iron therapy. This takes some time to fill up your iron stores. Just stick it out with the tablets and keep checking it.

Old 12-07-2007, 08:02 PM   #3
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User
    Re: ferratin

My doctor also believes that over 70 and if possible 125 is best figure to be at for ferretin. Ferretin and iron aren't a simple issue and long term low iron/anemia can cause other bodily organs to not function at optimum levels so this is why the higher your ferretin the better. Also it causes lack of oxygen in the blood, which our bodies need to function properly.

Most gp's either dont care or are very blase and so long as you fall within the specified range on your blood test results they are happy to send you on your way. This lead to my ferretin getting even lower and nothing being done about it and me wondering why i was shedding copious amounts of hair. 6yrs later i found the cause. So many doctors don't believe in what most of us on this board know to be true so you are lucky if you find one who does and who is willing to work with you to bring your numbers up.

It's not always easy to know why a person ends up low in iron. It can be due to anything from diet, heavy periods, developing a gluten intolerance to internal bleeding or something to do with lack of digestive enzymes etc.

It's a good sign that you are responding to iron supplements. As Christine said, keep taking them and get retested every 3mths.

Hoping your numbers keep going up. That would be the best Christmas present in my opinion

Closed Thread