It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Celexa 10 mg. enough?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-10-2007, 03:07 PM   #1
    singer78
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

singer78 HB User
    Celexa 10 mg. enough?

Hi,
    I've been on Celexa 10 mg. for 3 weeks.
    It's amazing how much it has helped my mild depression.
    Of course, I had some wonderful, amazing news about my health last week, and that, in itself, has lightened my mood immensely.
    When I first started, I took Klonopin .25 along with the Celexa (in the morning)& also take a full Klonopin .5 at night for anxiety.
    I've been getting very tired in the afternoon & always needing a nap, so today I didn't take the Klonopin at all & STILL slept a nice, long nap....even though I hadn't been up very long.
    Those of you on Celexa, do you believe the dosage is high enough?
    I see that most people take around 20 mg.
    Would that give me more energy (if I "upped" the dosage), possibly....or should I still give it another 2 or 3 weeks, before I consider changing the dosage?
    Like I said, I've tried other med's, and so far, this one has really gotten me out of my funk. It's a keeper---I'm just not sure about the dosage & my tiredness in the afternoon.
    I'm afraid, without the full .5 Klonopin at nighttime, I wouldn't sleep at all.

Thanks, Celexa-users for any feedback....or "non" Celexa-users, too, for that matter.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2007, 03:35 PM   #2
    j2006
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

j2006 HB User
    Re: Celexa 10 mg. enough?

I would give the 10mg a bit longer. I was on the same "cocktail" as you last year.

What I did was in the beginning weeks was:

Cut back on the klonopin to .25 during the day and .25 at night. See how that treats you. If you are still tired cut out the day klonopin and if you are still tired I would take it a dinner time. I found that taking Celexa at bedtime I was still very tired in the morning. dinner time was a great time for me. I slept like a baby.

I was aff klonopin after 6 weeks being on 10mg of celexa. So give it time and see how you feel.

Remember - Klonopin stays in your system for a while esp if you take it every day. A little bit from the day before stays in your system the next day and so on.

Another reason why SSRI's can make you tired is that it slows down your REM sleep. That is why some people who have sleep apnea during REM are prescribed SSRIs.

So play around with the time but I would not cut out your daytime Klonopin entirely yet because you don't want withdrawal because that can make you real TIRED!!

Hope that helps some.

And congratulations on your wonderful news. So happy for you

Old 12-10-2007, 03:44 PM   #3
    singer78
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

singer78 HB User

Thanks so much.
    I had a feeling, I should experiment a little with my timing of my med's.
    It is working, and since tiredness is my only somewhat negative side-effect, I should be able to alter it.

Yes, I'm so excited with my last week's scan results.
    They were "normal." Who could ask for anything more???

I still have to fight anxiety, though. But, thank goodness Celexa is working in that area.

Thanks again.
    S.

Old 12-10-2007, 04:11 PM   #4
    melanie in mary
    Veteran
    (female)

melanie in mary HB User

I am on Celexa 20mg. This is what my doctor started me on. Another doctor told me it takes a full 6 weeks to get in your system. She was going to up my dosage to 40mg but I feel the 20 mg is good for me. I can tell a big difference and I have been on it for almost 6 weeks. I fing myself singing or humming,etc. Plus now I enjoy my 4 year old. I still have problems sleeping though. I was on klonopin by another doctor (who has moved) and this doctor put me on trazadone 50 mg instead and I have been on that for a few days with no effects yet. GOOD LUCK

Old 12-10-2007, 06:57 PM   #5
    tetianainto
    (female)

tetianainto HB User

Hi, I think experimenting with the dosage is the way to go, esp. now that you've found the right drug. I agree, celexa has been lifesaver for me also.

I am on 20 mg - which, according to my doc, is actually half the full dosage (40 mg). I find it is enough, and does give me energy, but it did take 4-6 weeks for full effect, so you are still not there yet, with the 3 weeks - it's great that you started to get results so quickly.... If I were you, I'd stay on the 10 mg (since it's working for you) for another 2 or 3 weeks and then maybe increase it and see what happens.

best, c

Last edited by tetianainto; 12-10-2007 at 07:01 PM.

Old 12-10-2007, 08:45 PM   #6
    singer78
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

singer78 HB User

Thanks, Everyone.
    This forum is so helpful.
    I think I will just "maintain" for awhile.
    I find I have to push myself a little to get some energy....then, I'm "good to go."
    And yes, it has been a God-send for me.
    I'm glad it's working for you people, also.
    Thanks again.

Last edited by singer78; 12-10-2007 at 08:46 PM.

Closed Thread