It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board

• Boron

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-08-2007, 04:47 AM   #16
    phylwill1152
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User
    Re: Boron

Hi mbeth...i may not be doing it right, but i take them all at the same time...the once a day 1000 calcium and the mutli which has 225 along with the others. When i try to space things out more i tend to forget them, i may be losing some of the ptoency doing it this way, but what i may be losing i make up in my diet and this way works for me. I take them all after lunch or after suppper if i forget. I sometimes take them at bedtime and skip the strontium for that night. Since our bodies only use whats needed for that day there is no way to know exactly how much we are absorbing. The way i understand calcium is that its a balancing act...we replace daily what we uses daily. A while back someone wrote that if we had calcium test every day for a week we'd get 7 different numbers since it fluxuates daily. Between the multi, the calcium and extra D3 i'm getting 1200mg. of that.

I think the vitamins and supplements we take work together and there is no magic dose for doing the things we want them to do. Do the best you can and relax...ok? Your early synthroid and the rest of the day plan sounds good to me. For me the synthroid is the most important one to remember since i'm on total replacement. I call that my "keep phyllis feeling good" pill...hahaha. have a good weekend...take care..phyllis

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-11-2007, 04:48 PM   #17
    peppurr
    (female)

peppurr HB User

I take my vitamin supplements separately. I think my naturopath told me to do it this way. I'm gonna have to find a pill that helps with memory!

First thing in the morning I take 500 ca with Vit D drops; Lunch I take my vit supplements; Dinner 500 ca and bedtime Strontium citrate.

Old 12-12-2007, 07:07 AM   #18
    jacal5
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jacal5 HB Userjacal5 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by phylwill1152 View Post
    I just checked the Walgreen over 50 multivitamin i take. It contains 150 mcg. boron. I guess if we are all taking mutli we're getting it. Nice to know i don't have to buy another pill to take. As long as we're talking about vitamins can someone tell me if its ok to take all the vitamin supplements at one time? In addition to the mutli i take the once a day calcium 1000/D, 400 mg. D3, a once a day fish oil cap. and an extra 500 mg. of mag. I take them all after lunch so i'm ready for the strontium at bedtime. thanks..phyllis
    Hi Phylwill,

I read in the "Bone Density Diet Book" not to take magnesium, Vitamin C, or zinc with calcium supplements since they all can block absorption, so I never take my E-zorb calcium at the same time as the multi-vitamin or Vitamin K/Mag supplement. I write off the calcium in my multi-vitamin supplement as not counting in my daily total because it's mixed with the calcium blockers.

Last edited by jacal5; 12-12-2007 at 07:10 AM.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:06 AM   #19
    phylwill1152
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User

thanks Jacal5...I didn't think about that since you see so many calcium, mag, and zinc combo tablets on the shelves. Now i have another question..with so many dfferent books, views and opinions out there how are we to know which one is the best to follow? Everything you read is slightly different from what you've read before and every person has their own agenda they are trying to promote. oh well, all we can do is the best we can and hope for the best. take care...phyllis.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:14 AM   #20
    jacal5
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jacal5 HB Userjacal5 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by phylwill1152 View Post
    thanks Jacal5...I didn't think about that since you see so many calcium, mag, and zinc combo tablets on the shelves. Now i have another question..with so many dfferent books, views and opinions out there how are we to know which one is the best to follow? Everything you read is slightly different from what you've read before and every person has their own agenda they are trying to promote. oh well, all we can do is the best we can and hope for the best. take care...phyllis.
    Your welcome! I tend put more credence in research documentation versus web-sites that have health articles and try to sell you the supplements to prevent the health condition presented in the article, but research can be influenced/funded by the drug companies, so there's no guarantee of which data is correct.

Case in point of whether zinc, magnesium, and vitamin C block calcium absorption, as long as I read it may be a possibility, I won't take them at the same time. In addition, I get some of my supplements from a vitamin company which sells pharmaceutical grade supplements, and they have a calcium citrate/magnesium combo pill, and now I noticed an insert in their catalog stating that calcium and magnesium shouldn't be taken together. I would think this is correct information since they may lose sales of their calcium/magnesium combo tablet by printing that information for their customers. They already sell a magnesium only supplement.

I almost forgot, I went to an osteoporosis seminar and the calcium/magnesium absorption problem was mentioned, but the speaker said if calcium and magnesium are in the same tablet "don't worry about it because the manufacturer knows what it's doing." I thought it was lame on the speaker's part to excuse the supplement makers for doing the wrong thing. It's the same type of problem with Viactive putting calcium in chocolate which contains oxolates that block absorption.

Last edited by jacal5; 12-12-2007 at 09:16 AM.

Old 12-12-2007, 11:01 AM   #21
    Clerklady
    (female)

Clerklady HB User

Okay gals,
    I have gotten some calcium citrate w/ Vit D, the daily dose of Vit D is 100% but
    the Calcium is 63 % in one tab, they say to take 2 daily, to get the right amount.
    I also have seen and forgive me I can't remember who told me this but I can not find
    Vit K2 anywhere, is that something special? I am supposing that sense you can not feel
    osteoporosis, the only way to find out if what I am trying instead of the fosamax is working is to have another bone density scan later on down the road, is that correct????

I am also looking in to diets, from what I have found that my two main vises are chocolate and coffee are no, no's...It that correct???? Man I hate that if that is right.
    Thanks so much to all you ladies for you valuable information, Denise

Old 12-12-2007, 01:35 PM   #22
    starfish81
    (female)

starfish81 HB User

Clerklady: when a vitamin says "100% of the RDA of Vitamin D" you can ignore it, because what is currently being recommended by those who know bone metabolism is 2000-3000 IU per day-whereas the RDI is probably something like 800IU. I'm not making this up; 2000-3000 has been recommended to me by both my naturopath and a dietician.

Vitamin K2 isn't commonly found in health-food stores; I ordered it on-line. It's not a big player; studies show it only yields increases of 1% of BMD-but hey, nothing else worked for me so I'm trying it.

I really don't think you should stress yourself by worrying about coffee and chocolate. 10 cups a day, yes, 1 or 2, no. Plus, apparently if you add milk or cream that nullifies any small effect the caffeine might have. Dark chocolate is a wonderful antioxidant too-so by all means indulge!

Old 12-12-2007, 02:08 PM   #23
    Clerklady
    (female)

Clerklady HB User

Star I am assuming that no matter what ALL the info for the phamacuticals it is wrong, Man that makes me so mad, so I like at 63% these are 600 mg of Cal then how many do I take, 1/2 bottle????? I am so tired of all of the mis information. Thank you so much, I love coffee and chcocolate together, so I am glad IF I do not over indulge that I am safe....At this point I want to over indulged...HAHA!!!!! Thanks Denise

Old 12-12-2007, 02:24 PM   #24
    DesertBloom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

DesertBloom HB UserDesertBloom HB User

Hi Clerklady: You ask about other testing than DXA to see if the fosamax is working?? You can have your dr order a bone marker test. There are quite a few of these and they are real easy to do. If your dr isn't familiar with them you can look up bone marker tests, and see the different names for them.

I have a 24 hour urine test done every 3-4 months and this tells me if the med I'm taking for osteo is working. I don't like waiting 12-24 months to find out if a treatment is working, so this test can tell you. The test I have is an NTx (n-telopeptide) 24 hour urine test. The n-telopeptide test measure collagen excretion in the urine so the dr can tell if you are build or breaking down bone. Most insurances cover it, I know Medicare does, and if not they aren't that expensive. I've posted some links on this, a long time ago, if you want to look for them. These tests can check your progress whether you're taking a antiresorptive (fosamax etc) forteo, hrt, calcitonin and strontium. Each of these tests will give you a different score, so you need to make sure your dr understands that with fosamax etc you want to see a decrease from baseline and with forteo you would see an increase in score and with strontium you want to see an increase or a decrease depending on which test is done.

I'll try and find a link I can post explaning this further. If you never had this test this would be a good time to get a baseline for further testing down the road.

If you have any questions fire away

Good luck with your treatment.

[url]http://courses.washington.***/bonephys/opmark.html[/url]

The above link is from the University of WA, and it explains the use of this test and the different types you could have.

Closed Thread