It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Does anyone know the difference...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-28-2007, 02:49 PM   #1
    lovetovent
    (female)

lovetovent HB User
    Does anyone know the difference...

Ok, so it is established that once again I have been told by the gp I am 'very low' in iron...now...is there a difference between being 'anaemic' and being 'iron deficient'???? I believe I am one of those and not the other...so if there is a difference, what is it and is one 'worse' than the other??? Does one take longer to heal?? Thanks in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-28-2007, 03:15 PM   #2
    ChristineVA
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User
    Re: Does anyone know the difference...

Iron Deficiency Anemia is the last and final stage of Iron Deficiency/Depletion.

Your body keeps its "usable" iron in the bloodstream and then stores whatever is not needed in the bone marrow and organs. This storage is measured by testing for a protein called ferritin (ferritin carries iron). As you start losing blood, and iron with that blood, the body starts pulling iron from its "stored iron." If you cannot replace that or the blood loss is too much, the amount of stored iron will start to deplete. When the stored gets low enough (usually a ferritin level of 5 for most people), the body then cannot pull enough iron to make red blood cells. This is when the anemia sets in.

It is far worse to be anemic than just plain old iron depleted. Although, being depleted without anemia is no picnic either.

So, if you are just iron deficient--well, that is better than having anemia with it also. If you are lucky enough to catch it in time, you should be able to correct it with supplementation.

Old 12-30-2007, 11:05 PM   #3
    mbbasketball
    (female)

mbbasketball HB User
    Wink Re: Does anyone know the difference...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lovetovent View Post
    Ok, so it is established that once again I have been told by the gp I am 'very low' in iron...now...is there a difference between being 'anaemic' and being 'iron deficient'???? I believe I am one of those and not the other...so if there is a difference, what is it and is one 'worse' than the other??? Does one take longer to heal?? Thanks in advance.
    First are they saying your iron is low or your ferritin is low(your iron store)? As other have said when you ferritin is low, anything below 50 you can have symptoms of anemia without being anemic. But if you do not take care of getting more ferritin you will become anemic.
    I have been on the treadmill of falling ferritin for three years now. If you level are really low, you really need a quick fix, ie iron infusion by a hematologist. My store now is my ferritin is at 8 and now I have to get three infusions next week. My eck is abnormal because not enough oxygen is going to my heart, be cause of the low ferritin. I have to go for a nuclear stress test to see if any damage has been done to my heart because of the lack of oxygen. I will also have to wear a event heart monitor for a week to see if a pattern shows up.
    What was you hgb level, mcv, rdw? These will give you a better picture of what or how the low ferritin is effecting your blood. 1 just found out because I have high MCV, my hgb is also be falely high when in fact I could be anemic. My hematologist relies mostly on my ferritin levels and not so much on the hgb alone just for the fact that other factors could give a false high reading. If you are just under the care of a PC, then go to a good hematologist. They understand much more than your regular pc.

Getting you anemia under control is fairly quickly, but keeping your ferritin level to where you won't become anemia could be a battle. But only a hematologist will take ferritin levels seriouly. Since my last drop in ferritin, I have been having problems with joint/muscle pain, brain fog, brusing, tirdness, sleeping problems, and cold sensitivity. Headach and memory problems, breathing problems and feeling like I am going to pass out. If I left my head up, the room gets dark for a second. When I walk my dog, I have to sit down to catch my breath. I wish I could get my old life back, and start running. I ran everyday for 5-8miles per/day, now I can hardly make it up the stairs without running out of breath. Well, starting this week, I will try to push myself back slowly on my trademill. It is just too cold to run outside. At least if I am going to go, I will have done it doing the one thing I loved, running and listing to my i-pod.
    Wishing everyone a healthier, healthier and happy new year

Old 01-01-2008, 12:08 AM   #4
    lovetovent
    (female)

lovetovent HB User

Well I have just returned from the gp again, as I cannot seem to control my spacial weirdness/lightheaded feelings they are controlling my life. I told him its worse when i remain standing for long periods of time....and i asked him for my exact results for iron....now my iron is 6 and my ferritin is 18....do you think it could be causing my symptoms??? Is this really low??? I am sick of living day to day feeling as if I have a brain tumor...I feel like im going crazy and I am unable to function and go to work...please help...

Old 01-01-2008, 04:12 AM   #5
    ChristineVA
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lovetovent View Post
    Well I have just returned from the gp again, as I cannot seem to control my spacial weirdness/lightheaded feelings they are controlling my life. I told him its worse when i remain standing for long periods of time....and i asked him for my exact results for iron....now my iron is 6 and my ferritin is 18....do you think it could be causing my symptoms??? Is this really low??? I am sick of living day to day feeling as if I have a brain tumor...I feel like im going crazy and I am unable to function and go to work...please help...
    I did answer your other post so I apologize if I am repeating--the iron of 6 is meaningless as it could be affected by not eating/eating/etc. Doctors don't use the serum iron test much anymore.

Your ferritin is low, but still in the normal range. It *could* be causing some of your symptoms but I wouldn't be quick to blame it on that at this point.

Closed Thread