It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board

• Scared Monkey here:

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-31-2007, 02:56 PM   #1
    monkey5
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

monkey5 HB User
    Scared Monkey here:

Hey members i am having a Colonoscopy on the 8th very scared. Just went to GI dr. this am. It says somewhere that they would do this if they suspected colon cancer, how worried should i be? Any support please!
    Love, Monkey

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2007, 03:42 PM   #2
    LindyLee70
    (female)

LindyLee70 HB User
    Wink Re: Scared Monkey here:

Monkey, what does worry get you besides more grief? Relax, take the test and then weigh and assess.

The Colonoscopy? Piece of cake. What to expect?

Dependent upon the doctor, two days of prep. Drink some salty stuff, poop a lot and drink clear liquids. No big deal. Then go to the procedure.

They will call you in, hook up an iv and put you on a guerney. Relax, just a little nap for a very short while. Most people don't feel a thing. You'll probably wake up in the room, they'll move you to a place to rest while the anesthesia wears off. The doctor will tell you the preliminary results.

If there is a polyp and it is on a stem and can be removed, it will be removed. It will be biopsied and may take a few days to get results. You may be a little sore where it was removed for a few days. Just eat soft food. If nothing is found, then you will be told when to come back again.

Its an amazing procedure and virtually painless because of anesthesia. You may be a bit sore for a week or so following, dependent upon your colon, but nothing really miserable. Just a minor inconvenience.

And if they do find something, feel blessed they found it because with today's medical technology, colon cancer is something that is quite treatable.

So, no need to worry until after you have the colonoscopy. Just enjoy your days....that's what life is all about.

Me? I am just going one day at a time, considering it something that I haven't experienced before. Am scheduled for a subtotal resection on Friday for colon cancer and after researching it, have no fears, whatsoever....only thankful the procedures exist today that didn't exist in the past.

So relax and try to find a lot to appreciate and laugh about. There is so much of it in our lives.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by monkey5 View Post
    Hey members i am having a Colonoscopy on the 8th very scared. Just went to GI dr. this am. It says somewhere that they would do this if they suspected colon cancer, how worried should i be? Any support please!
    Love, Monkey

Old 12-31-2007, 06:51 PM   #3
    monkey5
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

monkey5 HB User
    Re: Scared Monkey here:

lindy, thanks for the quick response I wouldn't be so worried but thats just me! Not too mention i was hoping it was just an ulcer, but i think really it's more. I talked to my dad as he has had one done before and said it's not too bad. And like you said they will know the prelimary results right after. I am glad you are getting yours treated and hope you got alot of support as i don't but these health boards and hubby! What were your symptoms to lead to yours if i can ask? My owrst part i am scared of wich i'm not easily scared is the laxative i have to take because in the past when all this started i had major cramping like i was dying when i did take one and don't want to experience that feeling ugh. The office said try one at least and see how i tolerate it then take the other if i can. My dad is very worried, but i am a survivor and have had to learn to handle lots and am strong willed and know i will get through it like you said"piece of cake" I have had five kids and i'm still kicking lol!
    Love, Monkey

Old 01-01-2008, 04:27 AM   #4
    peacefrog
    (female)

peacefrog HB User

Hi. I had a colonoscopy just a few weeks ago and it was indeed a piece of cake. The prep isn't even as bad as I thought it'd be other than a sore bottom from going so much. That was actually better after the procedure. I had had major problems with diverticulitis and it was follow-up to be sure things were okay. I did have a small polyp removed and still have diverticuli, but everything was okay. I'm glad there is a procedure like this. I was told two years ago to have it done but thought "no way". Six months later I had an open resection and colostomy for a perforated colon with peritonitis. I had a reversal of the ostomy three months later and am doing very well. Had I had the colonoscopy two years ago it would have been taken care of before it got so out of hand. Best of luck.

Old 01-02-2008, 03:53 AM   #5
    antiquemother2
    (female)

antiquemother2 HB User
    Lightbulb Re: Colonoscopy scheduled this month too

I am 55 and have postponed my first colonoscopy long enough. Having it done and the only thing that terrifies me is the IV! I would love to have it done without going under total anesthesia but after reading info on this board I'm not sure.

Years ago I had to swallow a gastric tube. That was awful because you have to be awake and it was painful. Any advice on what I should do? Thanks.

Old 01-02-2008, 08:45 PM   #6
    cynthiaf
    (female)

cynthiaf HB User
    Re: Colonoscopy scheduled this month too

I had colonoscopy done July 06. I had iv and put to sleep. The nurse that did my iv didn't hurt at all, I didn't feel anything at all. When they took me back to the procedure room, they were talking to me while giving me the anestesia, and I was out and awake and didn't know a thing. I used my dad's surgeon, he is one of the best in Huntsville, Alabama and he specializes in colon/rectal surgery only. I have to go back July 09. I will not be as nervous about it this time (I don't think). I was really nervous when I went then, my heart rate was up that day very bad because I was nervous. I don't like doctor offices or needles anyway. I was 43 when I had mine done because of my dad being diagnosed in Feb 06 with rectal cancer.
    Cynthia

Old 01-02-2008, 08:59 PM   #7
    LindyLee70
    (female)

LindyLee70 HB User
    Wink Re: Scared Monkey here:

Monkey,

I've always had a cranky bowel...bloating, cramping, etc, on occasion. However the symptoms that lead me to getting my first colonoscopy was my family history of cancer. I began researching familial cancer and pretty much figured that was the case in our family since it was so prevalent in our family. The turning point was when my brother was diagnosed and I had some rectal bleeding (turned out to be either a polyp that was torn from the colon prior to the colonoscopy or hemmorhoids, who knows? My colonoscopy came up clean.)

Although this last time, I could feel something occurring inside. I can't describe it...a gnawing feeling inside and occasional constipation and intermittent diarrhea. It was more a feeling...I can't explain it. My colonoscopy was on the schedule, however due to family history should have been sooner.

Again, I am not worried about it at all and am grateful for an early diagnosis since it is treatable. In fact, as I started my prep tonight, for surgery, there still isn't any worry, whatsoever.

Don't worry about the colonoscopy, again a piece of cake. One suggestion, when they put in the IV, turn your head to the right, extend your arm out and take your mind to a different place, focusing on something else. It really is not painful...just a minor inconvenience. Take a deep breath, hold to a count of six, let out to a count of six and stay relaxed. If you don't worry, its very, very easy....

So, keep your chin up!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by monkey5 View Post
    lindy, thanks for the quick response I wouldn't be so worried but thats just me! Not too mention i was hoping it was just an ulcer, but i think really it's more. I talked to my dad as he has had one done before and said it's not too bad. And like you said they will know the prelimary results right after. I am glad you are getting yours treated and hope you got alot of support as i don't but these health boards and hubby! What were your symptoms to lead to yours if i can ask? My owrst part i am scared of wich i'm not easily scared is the laxative i have to take because in the past when all this started i had major cramping like i was dying when i did take one and don't want to experience that feeling ugh. The office said try one at least and see how i tolerate it then take the other if i can. My dad is very worried, but i am a survivor and have had to learn to handle lots and am strong willed and know i will get through it like you said"piece of cake" I have had five kids and i'm still kicking lol!
    Love, Monkey

Old 01-02-2008, 09:05 PM   #8
    LindyLee70
    (female)

LindyLee70 HB User
    Re: Colonoscopy scheduled this month too

Antiquemother,

The IV is administered on the hand, not through the throat. It is quite painless and a minor inconvenience, like a blood test. What I do, as I told Monkey, is simply extend my hand, look away and focus on something else, like a nice beach in Cancun...

Bee stings hurt a bit more than the IV, in my humble opinion. So, don't worry about gastric tubes. Its really a piece of cake and well worth the insurance for good health and a longer, better quality of life.

I'll check back in after my surgery, probably in a few weeks, since I'll be hospitalized for about seven to fourteen days depending upon how well my body adjusts to the surgery.

Wish you all the best. Proactive is far better than reactive.....

Quote:
    Originally Posted by antiquemother2 View Post
    I am 55 and have postponed my first colonoscopy long enough. Having it done and the only thing that terrifies me is the IV! I would love to have it done without going under total anesthesia but after reading info on this board I'm not sure.

Years ago I had to swallow a gastric tube. That was awful because you have to be awake and it was painful. Any advice on what I should do? Thanks.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:02 AM   #9
    antiquemother2
    (female)

antiquemother2 HB User

Okay, I guess I'm going to have an IV. Better to know. I just want to get this test over and done with. My husband has been after me for years to do this and I agreed to have it done and then he will have his done. We have procrastinated too long.

My friends all tell me it was nothing; the prep was worse. Hoping for the same experience and a good result. My father has diverticulitis (80) and has them pretty routinely.

Old 01-04-2008, 05:21 PM   #10
    monkey5
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

monkey5 HB User

Lindy, thanks for your reply! I have been worried only because i have had mucus for a while and the bowel problems and now there is blood in the mucus so i am trying to stay calm and my tests is for tuesday. I will keep you updated!
    Love, Monkey

Old 01-05-2008, 03:41 PM   #11
    monkey5
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

monkey5 HB User

Lindy, best wishes on a speedy recovery! See you soon, kinda!
    Love, Monkey

Old 01-06-2008, 02:27 PM   #12
    fred54
    (male)

fred54 HB User

"The Colonoscopy? Piece of cake. What to expect?"
    I don't know why everybody keeps saying this, it is NOT a piece of cake, at least not to some of us. I've had one and will be having another soon at it's probably the worst thing I ever went thru in my life. Drinking something to make you have explosion *D* until you are so sore back there that you think you are going to die and then stay up all nite worrying and then have 6 feet of pipe shoved somewhere is not a piece of cake. Sorry.

Old 01-06-2008, 03:05 PM   #13
    ZoeGirl
    Veteran
    (female)

ZoeGirl HB User

I'm guessing you weren't sedated? While the prep was not pleasant, I can also say this wasn't the worst test I've had to endure. I slept for the colonoscopy and felt absolutely fine afterwards.

Old 01-06-2008, 03:18 PM   #14
    backslide05
    Veteran
    (female)

backslide05 HB User

I agree. the prep was the worst and not a piece of cake but certainly endurable. If you're sedated, there's nothing to feel. If you're not sedated, then it's pure torture, and I have had both, so why any doctor would opt for non-sedation is beyond my comprehension. I wouldn't go to him unless I could be sedated and that was understood before the procedure began.

Closed Thread