It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board

• New and having lasik on 12/27

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-05-2008, 09:10 AM   #16
    yellow10
    (female)

yellow10 HB User
    Re: New and having lasik on 12/27

Thanks, I will keep you posted. I go in on this Monday at 1:20.
    My eyes are -4.50 and -4.00 with agstimatism. I have worn contacts for the last 14-15 years, i'm 35/female. Over the last year i've basically stopped wearing contacts because they have irritated my eyes, so I figured it is finally time for the Lasik. I've been thinking about it for about the last 5 years.
    I went for my pre-exam for lasik back in early Nov. I have mild dry eye, so the doctor started me on Restatis at that time, and i've been taking it for about the last 2 months, it has helped to some degree. The doctor also mentioned, if the Restatis doesn't work well, we will put punctual plugs in. So I will see what he says when I go for the surgery on Monday! Will keep posted!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2008, 07:59 AM   #17
    Skylar_
    (female)

Skylar_ HB User

Yellow10,

Your stats (age, presciption, dry eye history, etc.) sound identical to mine. I had wavefront 10/3/07 and LOVE my results. I have had no dry eye problems except some in the past week due to winter weather/dry air (I do have punctal plugs). I know you're nervous but I just wanted to encourage you! My story is posted under "My Intralase Experience"

Good luck tomorrow!! My biggest tip: TAKE THE RECOMMENDED NAP Skylar

Old 01-06-2008, 07:37 PM   #18
    BostonGirl44
    Senior Veteran

BostonGirl44 HB User

I also definitely second that recommended nap. If they offer valium, take it. Unfortunately I was not given anything so I couldn't fall asleep. I took advil to lessen the pain, which it did, but there was no way I was falling asleep! I had a friend who got valium and she was basically knocked out for 3 hours. But once you wake up and the pain is gone, it's the best feeling in the world. Good luck!

Old 01-07-2008, 06:55 AM   #19
    yellow10
    (female)

yellow10 HB User

hi, i'll keep you all posted! I'm counting the hours now ;-)
    Yes, my eye center does offer Valium and they said after the procedure they also suggest or provide Tylenol 3 for the minor pain, so both of those should help with the pain and sleeping for sure! I plan to come home and nap right after! Thanks for the advice and well wishes!

Old 01-07-2008, 06:57 AM   #20
    kgps1951
    (female)

kgps1951 HB User

I am new to this message board and have been reading all of your posts re lasik surgery. I underwent gastric bypass surgery 5 years ago and it was the best thing I ever did. Now I've decided to go for lasik and get rid of the glasses. The new me! I passed all my testing in December and was told that I am an excellent candidate. I have very slight astigmatism and wear mild progressive lenses or toric monovision contacts. I can see very clearly closeup when I take the glasses off and never wear them to read at night.

Lately, it seems that I'm too rushed in the mornings (lazy) to put in the contacts. On the rare occasion that I do wear the Monovision contacts, it works well for me. During my last eye exam, we found that I no longer require any correction in the right eye for closeup. I am now scheduled for wavefront lasik on 1/17/08 at the TLC Laser Eye Center in Fairfield, CT. The procedure will be on the left eye only to correct for distance and the result will be monovision.

I have been reading the posts for several days and doing so has answered a lot of my questions. I am still a little apprehensive - who wouldn't be with an upcoming procedure on their eye - but am now mostly worried about postop healing. I am an eye rubber from way back and am trying to break the habit beforehand. Seems like the more I think about it, the more I catch myself rubbing my eyes. I am also a little worried about night driving. Probably worrying too much. I am in good health and religious about following a doctor's instructions. Keep your fingers crossed and I'll keep reading the board and will let you know how I do.

Old 01-07-2008, 06:52 PM   #21
    BostonGirl44
    Senior Veteran

BostonGirl44 HB User

I was a notorious eye rubber myself so I know exactly how you feel. First thing in the morning I would rub my eyes awake and last thing at night I'd be yawning and rubbing my eyes haha. But in all honesty after this surgery I became very conscious about my hands around my eyes. I have defintely trained myself to not touch and when you know what a delicate (and expensive) procedure you've just went through, you definitely become more aware of not touching your eyes and not wanting to!

Last edited by moderator2; 01-07-2008 at 06:59 PM. Reason: long quotes clog threads

Old 01-08-2008, 05:00 AM   #22
    Skylar_
    (female)

Skylar_ HB User

I agree-I was also an eye rubber but am no more! The very first night after surgery I woke up and had been rubbing my eyes in my sleep-I had actually removed the goggles to do so!! That freaked me out a little but did no harm (luckily). Since then I have not rubbed them. I will admit though that the urge was strong in the beginning because your eyes itch a little with all the sticky eye drops that dry in your lashes....

Night driving-I had poor night driving BEFORE the procedure and expected it to get worse. It did not get worse, maybe even a little better. However, try to avoid late night driving long distances in the beginning. Your eyesight will get blurry as you tire for a month or so because your eyes have to work overtime to heal. Good luck!!

Old 01-08-2008, 09:15 AM   #23
    yellow10
    (female)

yellow10 HB User

I had the wavefront yesterday, and had my post op checkup this morning. I'm at 20/20 as of this morning. i cannot believe how great I can see, just one day after! Yesterday my eyes did burn for about 4 hours as they told me, I got home around 3:30-not feeling too well, took the Tylenol 3 they gave me, and just stayed in bed for about 5 hours resting because the eyes were burning. But just like clockwork about 4 hours later the burning started to stop and by morning today, my eyes felt pretty darn good!
    I also had the temp. punctual plugs put in yesterday and "already" I think they are helping a GREAT deal. My eyes don't feel that dry at all. Which for me is remarkable...
    My eyes are just very red and have that bruising on the sides from the ring they put on them. But other then, i'm just taking it easy today, resting my eyes from time to time and using the drops.
    So overall, i'm very impressed!

Old 01-08-2008, 04:01 PM   #24
    nanana1
    (male)

nanana1 HB User

So happy to hear your good results )....do take careful care of your eyes now, no rubs, knocks, stay away from people/babies who swing their hands, etc.

Enjoy your new sights and happy recovery !

Closed Thread