It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board

• My Stapedectomy report

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-03-2008, 05:17 AM   #61
    Richard.n
    (male)

Richard.n HB User
    Re: My Stapedectomy report

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for all your posts.

I have otosclerosis and I am thinking about having the operation this year.

My question is has anyone undergone the operation here in the UK on the NHS as all the posts so far seem to be about US opearions.

I await your responses.

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2008, 06:39 AM   #62
    CAB1
    (female)

CAB1 HB User

Good Luck today Courtney! I said a prayer for you this morning I hope all goes well and you are not too nervous.

More Later,

-Carol-

Old 01-04-2008, 10:05 AM   #63
    csnoahhope
    (female)

csnoahhope HB User

OMG I can hear and boy is it loud. I thought I was going to die on the ride home yesterday - the road noise was awful and my husband got lost coming home from the hospital. A tour around Dallas and Fort Worth was not what I had in mind the day of my surgery. I keep telling everyone to shhh. Surgery went very well and only one puke after anethestia. Didn't sleep much last night at all. I think its just the amount of noise - I counted 5 freakin planes going over my house in the middle of the night. I wish they would find a new flight pattern.

1 day post op - today not feeling all that great, I have wicked headache. Did any of you experience headache? My ear is draining a little, but of course I feel like it's gushing blood. How important is the sleeping at 30 degrees? That's not very comfortable.

Dr. Owens rocks!
    Getting sleepy - Carol, thanks for the prayers.

- Courtney

Old 01-04-2008, 11:46 AM   #64
    CAB1
    (female)

CAB1 HB User

OMG Courtney,

I'm at work and just read your post. I was laughing uncontrollably and crying at the same time- NOT at your discomfort - but at the flight pattern comment and the fact that you can hear. I so can identify with that. My employees came in to my office to see what was so funny! (Of course, they didn't grasp the reality of your comment like I did).

Take your pain meds and sleep through the headache. 24 Hours from now you will be ok. Getting use to the new "noises" will take time. My ac/heater in the house still wakes me up at night.

I didn't sleep at the 30 degree angle. I just slept on the unoperated ear for a week.

The road noise and all the "rumbly" loud stuff will take several weeks to calm down (until the ear drum seals back up). PATIENCE, PATIENCE, PATIENCE.

Keep us posted and I'm soooo happy for you.

I'm glad you like Doc Owens. Like I said before, "He's Tha Man!"

Update on me 18 days post-op:

I hear great, feel great and have a wonderful outlook on life again

Doc appt in 3 days to get packing out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

I know you read these posts baby - THANK YOU for finding this surgery for me. Because you did and I posted about it (as well as others), you helped Courtney and many many others regain their hearing.

More later,

-Carol-

Last edited by CAB1; 01-04-2008 at 12:00 PM.

Old 01-07-2008, 08:24 AM   #65
    CAB1
    (female)

CAB1 HB User

HI all,

20 days post-op.

I got the packing out this morning and to my surprise it didn't hurt like the last couple of times. He also did the tuning fork thing and wowser was it way louder by the ear than on the bone. THAT is a very good thing.

Courtney - How are you doing? I hope your headache went away and you are able to sleep better.

More later,

-Carol-

Last edited by CAB1; 01-07-2008 at 08:09 PM.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:47 AM   #66
    Pressed26
    (female)

Pressed26 HB User

25 Days Post Op

I get really frustrated these days. There are times when my ears are wide open and everything sounds great. Then, in just a matter of hours, everything closes up and I can't hear. Or it sounds like I am in a tunnel. It also feels like I gotta yawn, so I am constantly trying to get my ears to open. I don't even like to sleep on my ear because it feels so weird in the morning for about an hour.

Plus, I can make myself REALLY dizzy for just a quick second if I swallow hard to make the tubes close. (I guess that is what I am doing. I'll check the other posts cause it seems like I read that already somewhere.)

Courtney -- I slept upright a little for almost a week after the surgery. I can't say it was better or not, but I like to think it helped. To make it comfortable, I had a pillow under my knees to keep me upright and one of those neck pillows helped.

Someone else asked about surgery in the UK. There may be some entries on the closed thread, but most responders are in the US or Canada.

Talk to you all later,
    Elke

Old 01-07-2008, 06:40 PM   #67
    CAB1
    (female)

CAB1 HB User

Elke,

Hang in there! The opens and closes usually last for about 4-6 weeks.

Yes - it's very annoying and frustrating but will get better.

Please don't try to pop the ear trying to get it to stay open, let it do it in its own time. You are past the first 3 weeks so physically you feel better and it's easy to forget that you just had major ear surgery. Your ear takes a minimum of 3 months to heal *completely* and up to 6 months for hearing to stabilize.

Patience Gal, Patience.

Those "opens that sound great" will get longer and longer each day. One day you will realize..."Hey, my ear stayed open all day".

More Later,

-Carol-

Old 01-07-2008, 08:34 PM   #68
    csnoahhope
    (female)

csnoahhope HB User

OK day 2 was not so bad, I made my husband take a shower with me and wash my hair (that's not the action he was hoping for - ha ha) of course the whole time I was freaking out that I would get water in the ear.

day 3 bad, bad, bad couldn't hear anything and was sick all day.

day 4 no one told me about the affects of anesthesia/pain meds and valium on your system. Called Dr. today and he said "enema" (I said "OMG are you kidding") well, I sure do feel better. Enough of that talk. He also said that the anti nausea meds were causing my headache. I felt like my brain was going to pop out of my skull.

Hearing comes and goes today. My kids are so confused - whisper or shout. I have to be honest, it's going to be a long time until I go for it with the left ear. Off to bed...chat later

Old 01-08-2008, 08:04 AM   #69
    chrissy39
    (female)

chrissy39 HB User
    Smile Re: My Stapedectomy report

I had my stapedectomy on January 2, 2008, on my left ear. My ear still feels really full and I can't hear out of it. I am still experiencing dizziness when I turn my head, or move suddenly. Any reports on how long this dizziness will last? I am also feeling really tired. I can see why they told me not to drive for 10 days. I want to be back to normal. I'm getting frustrated.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:47 AM   #70
    Alexis27
    (female)

Alexis27 HB User

1 month 3 weeks post op. (51 ish days)
    Hey Guys,

I hope everyone is having a great January so far!
    Cab...I"m so glad that everything is going well for you!!
    A little update on me, everything seems to be going well except the distortion that is getting better, but is still there. It still sounds like a broken speaker, sometimes crackly, mostly with loud high pitched noises. I have to say that it is getting much better though. I don't have the reaction to vibration that I was having before and car rides are much more comfortable.
    I sing for a living so this has been really frustrating for me....almost two months off and I'm getting really antsy. This board always helps me to relax.
    I was given the go ahead to resume normal activities after my last appointment 3 weeks ago. I've been doing things a little reserved but have pretty much gotten back to normal life.
    The ringing that I've been experiencing for 5 years is still the same...almost worse when I sleep. On a positive not though, it's much better over all cause I can hear so much more. I don't notice it at all during the day anymore which is a huge improvement. I used to think about my tinnitus every spare second I had before the surgery.
    So the road is still a little bumpy and I'm just going with the flow. I did get a little cold and was a bit concerned with the blowing....but I took Cab's advice and did it lightly and it seems to be fine.
    One other thing....does anyone feel a wierd sensation when they are lying down like there is something pressing on the eardrum. It's hard to explain but it feels like there is something still in there....scar tissue I'm thinking???

Justine

Old 01-09-2008, 04:28 AM   #71
    AF244
    (female)

AF244 HB User

Hi Group!

I am almost 6 weeks post-op (surgery Nov. 30). My hearing has been gradually improving, with that "bad speaker" static present at loud noises and at certain frequencies. In the last few days, I've noticed my ear "openning up" to FULL COMPLETE HEARING! It was only for a few seconds, but I believe it was a glimpse of what is to come! I was in my car a lot, driving back and forth to Detroit, and these periods of full hearing would come and go. It was pretty cool.

One annoying thing I have experienced is a sort of tickling/itching of my ear at times. It drives me crazy! Does anyone else experience this?

I've been so lucky to not have any dizziness whatsoever since my surgery. I've been wondering why this is the case, since so many of you have experienced so much of it. I wonder if it has to do with my surgery having been under local anaesthetic? Someone on the other thread mentioned that when under local, the doctor can ask questions to the patient, guiding them for placement of the prosthesis, etc. I wonder if this was a factor in my lack of dizziness? Just curious...

Anne

Old 01-09-2008, 11:51 AM   #72
    LAXMI60
    (male)

LAXMI60 HB User

9 weeks post op no more dizziness, Hearing normal. Great to be back to normal
    Dizziness lasted for 8 weeks. dizziness gradually waned as I am back to regular exercise.
    laxmi

Old 01-09-2008, 02:29 PM   #73
    CAB1
    (female)

CAB1 HB User

Ok Guys and Gals...

The reason we are all posting here is because there is a long recovery process associated with this surgery. We all read everything we could before our surgeries and were aware of this.

Having said that, we ALL got frustrated and wanted everything to be perfect immediately. (yes, including me) Being the Momma Bird that I am, I am trying to calm us all down with the big patience reminder.

Let me show the time line this way......

Courtney - 4th day post op - "Hearing comes and goes today. My kids are so confused - whisper or shout. I have to be honest, it's going to be a long time until I go for it with the left ear."

Chrissy - 10 days post op - "My ear still feels really full and I can't hear out of it. I am still experiencing dizziness when I turn my head, or move suddenly. Any reports on how long this dizziness will last? I am also feeling really tired. I can see why they told me not to drive for 10 days. I want to be back to normal. I'm getting frustrated."

Carol - 20 days post op - doing great right now still -but mine was a Revision surgery.

Elke - 25 days post op - "I get really frustrated these days. There are times when my ears are wide open and everything sounds great. Then, in just a matter of hours, everything closes up and I can't hear. Or it sounds like I am in a tunnel. It also feels like I gotta yawn, so I am constantly trying to get my ears to open. I don't even like to sleep on my ear because it feels so weird in the morning for about an hour."

Anne - 6 weeks post op - "In the last few days, I've noticed my ear "openning up" to FULL COMPLETE HEARING! It was only for a few seconds, but I believe it was a glimpse of what is to come!"

Justine - 7 weeks post op - "A little update on me, everything seems to be going well except the distortion that is getting better, but is still there. It still sounds like a broken speaker, sometimes crackly, mostly with loud high pitched noises. I have to say that it is getting much better though. I don't have the reaction to vibration that I was having before and car rides are much more comfortable"

Lazmi - 9 weeks post op - "no more dizziness, Hearing normal. Great to be back to normal. Dizziness lasted for 8 weeks. dizziness gradually waned as I am back to regular exercise.

Do you all see the pattern? 6 weeks or less there is still lots and lots of healing to do. Around the 6 week point everyone's posts started being more positive because they had had time to heal.

So to all my friends out there that are traveling the long bumpy road to be able to enjoy great hearing and to all those who are now on the last leg of the trip....and in my case...flat tire - u-turn start again...

Patience. Bump. Patience. Bump. Patience.

Bottom line is:

WHEN your ear is open...Do you hear better?

Dealing with the dizzies, opens and closes, headaches, tinnitis, strange sensations in the ear, metallic tastes, etc....is like "wearing the cast" stage of a broken leg. Around 6 weeks you can start "physical therapy" and should start seeing more results daily.

I hope this helped a little. Sit back, relax and don't worry. I would say "Keep your head up but you might still be gettin dizzy..so I wont say that".

More later,

-Carol-

Last edited by CAB1; 01-09-2008 at 05:33 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 01-10-2008, 08:05 PM   #74
    CAB1
    (female)

CAB1 HB User

Hi all,

Yes Anne, I do have the tickling/itching in my ear. Sometime when it does that I shake my head left to right several times and it stops...but then I get dizzy.

Chrissy, when I had the right ear done the first time, I didn't hear a peep out of it for 7 days. Yes, I was frustrated and droze myself crazy worrying. All I can say is hang in there.

It is really good to see that some of you are starting to see good results.

Update on me - 21 days post op.
    I'm doing good. My hearing is great. It's still really loud but not rumbly and I get headaches or a little aggitated at certain sounds. I'm learning slowly how to ignore certain sounds again too. It's not bad, it just takes concentration and sometimes I'm too tired to do that.

More later,

-Carol-

Old 01-11-2008, 07:53 AM   #75
    chrissy39
    (female)

chrissy39 HB User

Thanks for the "putting things into perspective"...I really needed that. I am over my dizziness, pretty much, but feel like I'm under water as far as the hearing goes. It's only been 9 days since surgery so I guess I need to settle down....I came back to work today. I'll have to say it felt good to be back to some normalcy. Do some people have to have this kind of surgery redone?

Closed Thread