It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Obsessive Scary Thoughts

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-04-2007, 06:14 AM   #1
    bratforlife
    (female)

bratforlife HB User
    Obsessive Scary Thoughts

Why do we have these and what do you do to get them out of your head. For the last 3 days I keep thinking I am going to hurt my 18 year old son. I love him more then life itself and I know I never would by why is this happening. It is horrible to think like that. Anyone please help....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-04-2007, 08:21 AM   #2
    thaliak
    Veteran
    (female)

thaliak HB Userthaliak HB Userthaliak HB Userthaliak HB Userthaliak HB Userthaliak HB User
    Re: Obsessive Scary Thoughts

Bratforlife, please see a psychologist or a psychiatrist if only to put your mind at rest.
    Personally I do not know why you have those thoughts, but since they cause you pain, I would definitely do something about them.

Old 12-04-2007, 08:48 AM   #3
    AnxietyMan
    (male)

AnxietyMan HB User

Dear sir,
    I too am having these same panic attacks.
    I have a 2 year old who I love more than ANYTHING in this world. I would jump in front of a car for him. I would literally do anything for him.
    I have these same thoughts. Except, I don't think I'd actually do them- the thoughts just enter my mind, and I shake my head and think "why the heck would I even think these thoughts???" But they keep popping in my head.

I used to have completely irrational fears, for example one time my wife took him to the store, and for some reason I worried "What if someone robbed the store and starting shooting up the place and hit our son??" And it all happens in my head like I can see it. Not a hallucination, but like a day dream... Then one day an image popped in my head of me harming my son.
    I think subconciously I think about those parents who kill their families, those people who just snap and go crazy. And then I have anxiety attacks about "what if that happened to me? what if something in my head clicked and i went crazy?" and the thoughts just kinda come piling in. Thats the only reason I could think of why I get these thoughts...

I spoke to my doctor (general doctor) about it, and he thinks some of the more extreme anxiety I'm having could be due to my cold turkey cut-off of alcohol. (I recently stopped drinking because I found myself drinking too often and it was becoming an addiction) Anyways, he doesn't think I'm crazy, but he said I should perhaps see a psychologist about this and why I'm always having anxiety about my son, and my son only. (I think that reason is because he is the most important thing in my life)

Anyways, sorry about rambling on... I feel your pain, and I'd like to chat with you more about your symptoms and experiences. I have to admit I was relieved to see your post, and know I'm not the only one who has weird thoughts pop in my mind that don't make any sense.

Also- not to hijack your thread, but if anyone has any advice or words for me as well, please do advise. The brat and I are in the same twisted boat.

Last edited by AnxietyMan; 12-04-2007 at 09:22 AM.

Old 12-04-2007, 12:56 PM   #4
    AnxietyMan
    (male)

AnxietyMan HB User

Are we alone on this one?

Old 12-04-2007, 03:22 PM   #5
    bratforlife
    (female)

bratforlife HB User

I am sure we are not alone.. Alot of people with anxiety have this.. some just don't like to talk about it. This happened about 2 years ago where I was up late watching tv and flipped through the channels and came upon a scary movie and all of a sudden this thought came through my head about hurting my son.. I know I would never do it and for a week it stayed there and then finally went away. My counselor said we all have this and you would never react on it and the fact that I knew this and thought it was wrong just proved that I would never do it. It is just reassuring to know it happens to other people. They say we have these thoughts to avoid something else that is happening in our life.. Maybe it's that he graduates next month and I am not ready for it, I don't know but I would die for my son and he is my whole life. I see my counselor on Friday so I will bring it up to her. They want me to go on Zoloft for my anxiety and OCD but I hate meds and I am just not ready to do it, but if thoughts like this keep happening I may break down and do it. Who truly wants these symptoms...

Old 12-04-2007, 08:35 PM   #6
    AnxietyMan
    (male)

AnxietyMan HB User

What movie was it if you don't mind me asking?
    I had a couple movies trigger this anxiety...
    One was Hide and Seek with Robert Deniro, the whole movie. The other had to do with someone injecting air into someone via a suringe (sp?)
    I had anxiety all week after that because my son was going in for his checkup and needed to get shots. I think it was his 2 year checkup...

Anyways, after reading more on this site and others, I think I am going to go see a psychologist/psychiatrist and see what he thinks.
    Based on what I've read here and other sources it sounds like I may have a little OCD in me...

Let me know what movie triggered it for you.
    I'm curious.

Last edited by AnxietyMan; 12-04-2007 at 08:36 PM.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:29 PM   #7
    bratforlife
    (female)

bratforlife HB User

It was Johnny Depps "Secret Window". I just caught a glimpse and that was all I needed.. Although I had watched the movie before and was fine. I think we are weaker during certain times in our lives. I have read that many people get this after watching a scary movie or the depressing news...

Old 12-05-2007, 02:15 AM   #8
    Debtone
    (female)

Debtone HB User

I used to get scary thoughts all the time, I think they are part of anxiety and after reading the wonderful Claire Weekes book (more help for your nerves) I realised that these thoughts are simply just thoughts and when we are feeling anxious they have more of an effect on us.

Apparently we are supposed to just simply let them come and not be afraid of them and they will simply go away, when I am feeling really relaxed I can have the same thoughts and they don't bother me I think they only bother us when they give us a panicky anxious reaction and that is when we are feeling especially tense.so what I am trying to say is work on becoming more relaxed in the body and the peaceful mind will automatically come with it.

Old 12-05-2007, 02:55 AM   #9
    captnanny
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

captnanny HB User

It's weird that you posted this. I started having scarey thoughts like that when I was little. I used to get images of my teacher comming in to my room and other classmate rooms and make me hurt them. My doc and other doctors have said that these thoughts are symptoms of extreme anxiety brought on from something that either happened to us and we project them onto others, even daydreaming I guess.
    Now I'm a nanny, I fear all the time that when I get mad at them and need to give them a time out I am hurting them. I know I am not, in fact the parents wish I was harder on them. I had these thoughts a long time ago and am still afraid of them. They can be triggered by movies, I hated that movie Hide and Seek. They can also be triggered by news, anything really. I haven't found a cure. I get scared to talk about it but I'm glad this was posted. I have a friend who has a son and she has the same thing. She would never in a million years hurt him, she just gets so anxious that the image comes to her mind, which just makes the anxiety worse.
    It is so easy to see others problems clearly, why can't I see my own that way?

Old 12-05-2007, 04:50 AM   #10
    Christian73
    (male)

Christian73 HB User

Hi Guys:

I want you to know that you're not alone. I have been dealing with scary thoughts for more than a decade. I have times where I don't have them and then it will come upon me. I have learned mostly to deal with them due to therapy and medication.

Please know that they're just thoughts and part of OCD.

Bumper Sticker in my therapist's office

Old 12-06-2007, 06:45 AM   #11
    eloise_girl24
    (female)

eloise_girl24 HB User

i get these scary thoughts too and it scares the crap out of me. it makes me feel like im going crazy. for some reason whenever im eating with a steak knife i picture myself slicing my tongue in half. i have a small dog who i am obsessed with. i would die for her. she is my absolute favorite thing in the whole world. she has gotten me through a lot of really hard times. i dont have kids of my own yet so he has been my child for 6 years now. sometimes when im looking at her, i start thinking how dependent is she on me and how trusting she is of me and i picture myself hurting her. i NEVER would but in my mind i see myself physically hurting her. maybe it's just an irrational fear (which i have many many of). im so afraid of her dying that maybe its just another fear working itself out in my mind. i also have these day dreams of people around me dying or getting shot (i live in suburbia and have never even seen someone shot) but when im at work i sit at my desk and daydream that someone comes into the office and kills everyone around me and i have to save my friends. i feel totally pyscho saying these things. my biggest fear in life is death (my own and others around me) so i guess i daydream about people dying bc im so scared of it. i would NEVER hurt anyone around me, im not afraid of that, i just dont understand why i have these daydreams of people dying.

Old 12-06-2007, 10:51 AM   #12
    bratforlife
    (female)

bratforlife HB User

Don't worry you are not alone, so many of us have this.. We just have to remember they are stupid scary obsessive thoughts. And people are right the more you dwell on them the worse it is.. If it comes in your head just say stop to yourself and think about something else. I see my counselor tomorrow and I am going to ask her more about it..

Old 01-11-2008, 07:41 AM   #13
    AnxietyMan
    (male)

AnxietyMan HB User

For the most part my anxiety on this has decreased, but it does come back every once a in a while. I still have not had any alcohol since Nov 25th, so I would think the withdrawals would be done... I'm trying very hard to find out what triggers it. After a rough night last night, I finally decided I've had it, and I'm going to see a psychiatrist that specializes in pshych disorders, anxiety disorders, and chemical dependency issues.
    Its weird that all of my life I havent experienced this anywhere close to as bad as it is now. (Except when I was a young boy, maybe in 5th grade.) I used to always worry that I'd walk out of school to go look for my mom to pick me up but wouldnt be there because someone killed her. I remember seeing a part of a movie back then of a woman getting mugged and stabbed. That probably triggered that anxiety I had. My counselor at school told me to put a rubber band around my wrist, and every time I had these thoughts to snap it really hard. It eventually went away, but now its back, and worse. My Xanax has even stopped working as well as it used to...

Another thing I noticed- when I have a stomach ache, like nausea in particular- I get very anxious. Not about my stomach ache. Just overall anxious.
    Last night we went to a Sushi restaurant which is a buffet, perhaps I ate too much or something bad. But I was nauseated when i got home, and my anxiety was so bad, I just took my medicine and desperately tried to go to sleep to just end the day.

Another thing I wonder about is- if we the people in this thread have these thoughts about hurting our close ones (but don't want the thoughts) who are the people who actually do hurt their family members? What causes them to do it? How can we be sure that we won't act on our obsessive thoughts?

Closed Thread