It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board

• My 8 month old refuses to eat baby food, ect. Please Help!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-14-2008, 10:17 AM   #1
    ash3537
    (female)

ash3537 HB User
    Question My 8 month old refuses to eat baby food, ect. Please Help!

I am so stressed out and worried about my 8 month old that I don't know what to do. I started giving her cereal and baby food at about 5 months or so, and she would eat it. So I fed her 3 times a day(Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner) but now she won't eat! I thought as they get older they eat more, but now she won't eat at all, she gets so upset and mad when I try and feed her. Is this normal? Because when my son was a baby he ate everything all the time, and loved food, so this seems very abnormal to me and I am worried about her getting enough nutrients, and if she is healthy enough. Should I take her to the doctor? Has anyone else gone through this? And what did you do? Please help...I am concerned.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2008, 12:15 PM   #2
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
    Re: My 8 month old refuses to eat baby food, ect. Please Help!

If she is still drinking a lot of formula or nursing, then she is well nourished enough, so no immediate worries there.

Good luck in resolving this. Anyone have ideas?

Old 01-14-2008, 02:32 PM   #3
    Tiff24
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Tiff24 HB User

Maybe try giving her table food that is mashed up or if she is eating finger food just give her table food that is diced small. If she has gotten any table food it could be that she just doesn't like baby food anymore. That's what happened with my son. Once he tasted "real" food he didn't want just veggies anymore.

She might be teething. My son would either not eat food or not drink his formula when he teethed. If it's teething you could try giving her Motrin about 20 minutes before it's time to eat to relieve some pain and swelling.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:14 PM   #4
    pumpkin1307
    (female)

pumpkin1307 HB User

I am going through the same thing my baby will be one this month, and she won't eat either and her doctor stated she was getting too much formula she should only get it 3 time a day after she eats. I usually feed her breakfast at 8am and she eats now and then I give her a bottle but around lunch if she refuses the food she does not get a bottle I give her a sippy cup with water until she is ready to eat. Then if she eats a little I try to offer her table food here and there then I finally give her a bottle. Then she eats dinner later that nights again I give her water with her food and a bottle for bed. But if they refuse the food...no milk or they will never eat. Give him or her water and keep trying the food for at least 2 hours and they will get hungry eventually but if you can try to offer them food every 2 hrs and see if you get any results. hope this helps.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:22 PM   #5
    hollycom
    (female)

hollycom HB User

I will be in your shoes in about 4 months from now as well. I don't know what to tell you except maybe to start smashing up bananna's, and potatoes and things that are easy.
    Mine is 4 months old and doesn't want a thing except the bottle. She will be five months old week after next. I wouldn't worry about it at all babies are babies and eventually they will be walking, talking and asking for $$$$$$$$$$$$$ for McDonald's and Burger King..ha ha!

Old 01-15-2008, 10:02 AM   #6
    dream77
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dream77 HB User

My 1 year old decided a while back to not eat and live only on formuala.
    I know she is older but I'll go ahead ..
    The ONLY thing that works is cuttign the milk supply.
    The pediatrician said at one year
    She should be having more more than 12 oz cows milk so 4oz 3 times a day in sippy cups.
    Just cut the milk and in a few days (my DD fought for 2 weeks) she started to eat.
    She does not eat baby food at all but things she can bite and that are fun to eat.. peaches, bananas, finger foods etc.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:51 AM   #7
    ash3537
    (female)

ash3537 HB User

Thank you all for your replies! I appreciate it a lot! I started giving her table food like green beans, and carrots with no salt added and some fresh fruit, whole wheat toast, and cherrios and she loves it! She gobbles it all up! I am so relieved! I was so worried about it but again I want to thank all of you for replying!

Ash

Closed Thread