It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Low Ferritin Level

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-15-2008, 05:18 AM   #1
    louise399
    (female)

louise399 HB User
    Low Ferritin Level

I was diagnosed with a Ferritin level of 5 in March 2007 and was put on on iron tablets, I exercise 2 times a week max. I am 38yrs old and suffer with heavy peiriods. The question I'd like to ask is should I be exercising? my ferritin level has only just reached 27 and that has not altered in 3 months, I find that if I exercise it takes me a week to recover and I feel worn out and light headed quite often! Docotor say's its ok to exercise! I also have a low white blood count and we dont know why. Should I see a haemotologist or an endocronologist to investigate further as I feel I need to be feeling better as its nearly a year now!! thanks Louise

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2008, 06:02 AM   #2
    ChristineVA
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User
    Re: Low Ferritin Level

I don't think a hematolgoist is ever bad idea. It can't hurt to go. So far, I have not gotten to that point myself, but I am gradually increasing on my ferritin. But like you, I've found that I'm kind of "stuck" in the 20s right now.

How much iron are you taking per day? It could be that it is just not enough to compensate for the loss of blood that you experience monthly. Also, rather than deal with iron for years, have you considered doing any procedures that would lessen your menstrual flow such as a Mirena IUD or an endometrial ablation? Many anemica women have had success with these procedures in correcting their heavy periods an anemia.

As to exercise--it is safe to do it but you will feel tired. I am the same as you. It takes weeks to recover from a 30 minute walk. This is up to you if you want to tolerate it. I couldn't and didn't exercise for years. I am paying for it now because, while I'm feeling a bit better, I am so deconditioned now that it's tough getting my strength back. Strenuous exercise also does destroy some red blood cells, but mild to moderate exercise shouldn't cause a problem.

Old 01-16-2008, 04:27 AM   #3
    louise399
    (female)

louise399 HB User

Thanks for your reply , had an attempt at the ablation procedure and unfortunatlely the surgeon made a small hole in doing so so had to abandon the procedure, not fussed on the coil option as I've heard a lot of negative reports with regard to hormones etc. I currently take X2 302mg tablets a day with a vitamin C tablet. Never thought it would take so long to get the levels up, eating loads of iron too. I have trained most of my life to a high level so not sure if this on top of having children and losing so much monthly has increasingly made my problem worse. I have heard Vitamin A helps with heavy periods not sure if anyone knows if this works!

Old 01-16-2008, 05:44 AM   #4
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

I would try the ablation again by another doctor, I was told there are 3 types of ablations, mine was balloon. This procedure has great success for a lot of people. I had it done in June and it's one of the best things I've ever done. I would give it another go. Sorry about your first attempt, sometimes these things happen but don't give up!

All the reasons you've listed are great contributors to anemia. I found with exercise that I would suffer chronic fatigue for up to 2 weeks after heavy exercise. I learned to do a little at a time and the fatigue finally went away as my ferritin was also going above 20 at the time. There is something to be said for moderation.

I have not heard anything on vitamin A and anemia and I see a Hematologist, I would think that he would bring this up if it were necessary or beneficial. He did recommend to take a good multivitamin. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 01-16-2008, 05:54 AM   #5
    louise399
    (female)

louise399 HB User

Many thanks for your reply, unfortunately I can't have another go as they could possible perforate the uterus again!! I am seeing a haemotologist for the first time next week, anything special I should tell him or ask him to do?

What are your ferritin levels now? My husband wants me to stop exercising all together to give my body a rest, but I am somone who has always trained and find this so fustrating!! I dont really understand the implications of low ferrirtin on th body so need educating I think!

Old 01-16-2008, 06:06 PM   #6
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

My Hematologist told me that I had to fix the bleeding to fix the blood levels. Both my GYN and Hemo doc said if the ablation doesn't work then I have to have a Hysterectomy. I was 45 at the time and don't plan on getting pregnant LOL.

I feel bad for you that the ablation was not a success. I know that is something that can happen, my doctor told me about it before surgery. She said that the instrument that she uses, there is no way she can puncture the lining. What about a traditional D & C?

I just found out today that my Ferritin is at 35 now that is one year later. It's different for everyone as you may know.

About the exercise I think I agree a little more with your husband on that. Your body needs rest, moderate exercise and nutrition along with iron supplements. If any of these are out of place you WILL find it hard to get well and to feel better. I think that it will only prolong your healing. I tried to get back to physical activity because that's how I used to be, but it only left me with chronic fatigue so bad that I looked like I was faking it. I would take it slow because your body is not going to handle any demand put upon it. If I told you the list of my symptoms all at one time you wouldn't believe me. As soon as the numbers went back into range symptoms went away. Good luck to you. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 01-17-2008, 10:29 AM   #7
    abki168
    (female)

abki168 HB User

I too had an ablation that did not work (done12/07). I have been bleeding ever since. I went to a new OBGYN today who said she wanted my iron levels up before we made any decisions about what to do next. My ferritin level is currently at a 5. I wanted to share the advice I got today. She put me on Birth Control Pills to stop the bleeding. She wants to see if that would work then I am getting a hysterscopy done in March to see where we are at that point. She said a hysterectomy would be her last try to control my bleeding. I am not quite sure about being on the birth control for an extended period of time, but at this point I will try anything. I understand how annoying it is not to be able to exercise. It has only been 5 weeks and I am going crazy!

Old 01-18-2008, 05:47 AM   #8
    louise399
    (female)

louise399 HB User
    Smile Re: Low Ferritin Level

Quote:
    Originally Posted by abki168 View Post
    I too had an ablation that did not work (done12/07). I have been bleeding ever since. I went to a new OBGYN today who said she wanted my iron levels up before we made any decisions about what to do next. My ferritin level is currently at a 5. I wanted to share the advice I got today. She put me on Birth Control Pills to stop the bleeding. She wants to see if that would work then I am getting a hysterscopy done in March to see where we are at that point. She said a hysterectomy would be her last try to control my bleeding. I am not quite sure about being on the birth control for an extended period of time, but at this point I will try anything. I understand how annoying it is not to be able to exercise. It has only been 5 weeks and I am going crazy!

Many thanks for your this information I have had the same advice but unfortunately don't get on with the pill. I've also tried tranxamic acid, I like you have had the hysterectomy chat but I am only 38 and not ready for this! Will take the advice from flowergirl and do some moderate exercise to give myself a chance but think I will do a bit more research into the Vitamin A and heavy periods, if you look on the internet there is loads to say this helps, worth a try before I have anymore medical procedures. The joys of being a woman eh!

Closed Thread