It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board

• Chantix-Anxiety

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-15-2008, 06:19 PM   #16
    SANDRA88
    (female)

SANDRA88 HB User
    Unhappy Re: Chantix-Anxiety

Hello all. I started taking Chantix on June of 2007, took it for 12 weeks (and same thing) being on it was probably about the worst experience i've ever had.

I smoked for 14 years about a pack and a half a day. I can honestly say that Chantix did work but i haven't exactly been feeling healthy either. I keep having panic attacks. At times i even wake up in the middle of the night grasping for air. Stoped drinking anything with caffeine to see if it would help, but every day is a struggle as far as my panic attacks go. I have been doing more cardio than ever (which only helps during the workout), started going to yoga to help with my breathing problems. I am always on edge and extra sensitive, I can't ever breathe, and it wasn't until recently that my anxiety started affecting my social life. I have never had anxiety problems until Chantix. I am just wondering... will this ever go away or am i doomed now for taking Chantix??

I am so sorry to hear that others are going through the same, I truly wish the best for all.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2008, 08:06 AM   #17
    karbear1
    (female)

karbear1 HB User
    Re: Chantix-Anxiety

Hi Sandra
    You could call you dr. for some Xanax. They help with the anxiety. There is also Lexipro that is supposed to help with panic attacks. I am still on Chantix and I have to take a Xanax at night so I can sleep. I am on my 3rd week with them and sleep has not gotten better. I am also 9 days smoke free.

Old 01-16-2008, 07:57 PM   #18
    SANDRA88
    (female)

SANDRA88 HB User

Thank you for replying Karbear. I am actually due for a doctors appointment in 2 weeks from now so hopefully that'll go well with good news. Today was a good day, started getting anxiety at work but i caught myself before it got bad. I had some tea to calm my nerves and went for a walk. My kitchen cabinet has about 4 different types of tea at this point, LOL.

BTW, although it does have its MAJOR discomforts I think it is great that you are taking Chantix. Despite of how horrible i felt during it and how I feel now after it, I still think it was worth it. If you would like to talk about your symptoms let me know, as it felt to me like i had all of them :-<. But some days will be better than others and as you get closer to your 12 weeks it'll only get easier. Congratulations!! And like you mentioned before, just take one day at a time. And if you haven't checked in on the Get Quit program they have, I highly recommend it. I kept smoking on and off (slipped) for the first 2 weeks until the cigarrettes started getting me sick (so as weird as it may sound, that was a good thing for me since I loved smoking). Had a drag from someone's cigarrette 3 weeks ago from today and (once again) it was the most disgusting thing i've ever tasted (so bitter). I'll tell you this much, I've recommended Chantix to pretty much everybody I know. Just stick with it and make sure you sorround yourself with none smokers for a little while.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:22 AM   #19
    karbear1
    (female)

karbear1 HB User

LOL I too am doing the tea thing. I have chamomile for calmness. I just bought SleepyTime to help me sleep. I do not want to keep taking Xanax. Did you have a hard time with insommnia???? I can not sleep and am never tired. I tried last week not to take anything but it was after midnight before I fell asleep and then it was toss and turn. I love not smelling like smoke , my house not smelling like smoke. Let me know what the Chantix did to you. MY husband had no effects at all except the constipation and gas.
    Thanks

Old 01-19-2008, 12:19 PM   #20
    SANDRA88
    (female)

SANDRA88 HB User

Hello. Well for me, it was mostly nauseas; i was bloated; had acid reflux; was very moody and emotional; was always thirsty; my body would get tingly and then i would get like a sofocating feeling; it was easy for me to be able to fall asleep (after 11pm) but hard for me to stay asleep (i would always wake up in the middle of the night at the same time actually, lol); and had very strange dreams. I guess it varies for most. Good to hear that your husband is also taking Chantix so that you can support each other.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:55 AM   #21
    karbear1
    (female)

karbear1 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SANDRA88 View Post
    Thank you for replying Karbear. I am actually due for a doctors appointment in 2 weeks from now so hopefully that'll go well with good news. Today was a good day, started getting anxiety at work but i caught myself before it got bad. I had some tea to calm my nerves and went for a walk. My kitchen cabinet has about 4 different types of tea at this point, LOL.

BTW, although it does have its MAJOR discomforts I think it is great that you are taking Chantix. Despite of how horrible i felt during it and how I feel now after it, I still think it was worth it. If you would like to talk about your symptoms let me know, as it felt to me like i had all of them :-<. But some days will be better than others and as you get closer to your 12 weeks it'll only get easier. Congratulations!! And like you mentioned before, just take one day at a time. And if you haven't checked in on the Get Quit program they have, I highly recommend it. I kept smoking on and off (slipped) for the first 2 weeks until the cigarrettes started getting me sick (so as weird as it may sound, that was a good thing for me since I loved smoking). Had a drag from someone's cigarrette 3 weeks ago from today and (once again) it was the most disgusting thing i've ever tasted (so bitter). I'll tell you this much, I've recommended Chantix to pretty much everybody I know. Just stick with it and make sure you sorround yourself with none smokers for a little while.
    Just checking to see if you have been to your dr and how you are feeling now.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:55 AM   #22
    karbear1
    (female)

karbear1 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SANDRA88 View Post

Just checking to see if you have been to your dr and how you are feeling now.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:16 PM   #23
    SANDRA88
    (female)

SANDRA88 HB User

Hello. Thanks for asking, I'm actually going this Tuesday coming up. Been feeling good actually, try to catch my anxiety in time before it gets worst (i think it might be helping). How are you feeling?

Old 01-28-2008, 06:56 AM   #24
    karbear1
    (female)

karbear1 HB User
    Smile Re: Chantix-Anxiety

Well I have put myself on 1 pill in the morning. I did that last Wednesday and even last night I start getting anxiety in the evening. I think I just want to get off these pills altogether. I know smoking urges can do the same thing but evenings were ok before I quit the pill in the evening. NOw I will be afraid of how I am when I quit taking the other pill. Let me know what the dr says and I am glad you are feeling better.

Old 01-28-2008, 10:08 AM   #25
    elizabethanntay
    (female)

elizabethanntay HB User

So here is my story - I had pneumonia and the doc decided that Chantix might help me stop smoking while I was getting over it - so I agreed knowing that not smoking would help. The first week went great - but then I stepped up to the next dosage and within 2 days I had become an inhuman monster.
    I don't know what happened - I just know that I've had uncontrollable rage, severe anxiety, and unbelieveable depression.

Then this morning I come back to work and my boss tells me that the FDA is waiting for a study to come back and then Chantix may go away. From what I read on a couple of other sites - in some people it's causing some severe psychotic feelings. For me that is not acceptable and I think I'll take my chances cold turkey at this point.
    While Chantix is working for me - I DO not like feeling like I would like nothing better than to kill my children.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:12 AM   #26
    andrea03
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

andrea03 HB User

I actually called the dr. about the anxioty, he said that anxioty is not a known side effect of Chantix, it is however an effect of withdrawl and detox. I have cut my dose in half, instead of taking both 1 mg pills a day I am only taking one pill a day mid day, or whenever I feel I need to take it. Since, then I have not had any bouts with anxioty or depression.Good luck

Old 01-29-2008, 06:05 AM   #27
    karbear1
    (female)

karbear1 HB User

I think the drs dont know all about Chantix. My husband had no problems but when I first went on it I felt like I was speeding. Since going to 1 pill, today is the first day I have not had any anxiety. I think in a couple of weeks I will be cutting the pill in half. I thought I had read if you get depressed on this you should call your dr and they can play around with your dosage.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:57 AM   #28
    andrea03
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

andrea03 HB User

I agree... I didn't take it all yesterday and was ok, a little irratable. But I took it today and fell a sleep 20 minutes after taking it and now I am axious. We shall see..

Old 01-29-2008, 12:09 PM   #29
    karbear1
    (female)

karbear1 HB User

How long have you been taking it. This is my start of the 5th week. Just opened a new box today. I dont live to far from you. I am in Joliet.

Closed Thread