It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• Did you get abnormal results after giving birth?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-22-2008, 08:50 AM   #1
    AlexaIn2006
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User
    Did you get abnormal results after giving birth?

I received my first abnormal pap from the 6 week postpartum checkup and I was suprised. It came back ASCUS and negative for HPV and has been the same for nearly two years now. My doctor tested me last week for two types of bacteria that could cause abnormal results and I am waiting to hear. I started to read about pelvic imfammatory because it is bacteria that infects us and one of the possible causes, although not common would be giving birth, bacteria could get inside.

How that happened to anyone? I am wondering if maybe I have bacteria in me from childbirth. I had a natural childbirth with no IV's, Drugs, or other interventions, just a midwife and a nurse. The midwife used her fingers to stretch me between each push.

I am just thinking out loud here, I am curious after two years what could be causing my results and I am looking at all possibilities.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2008, 09:12 AM   #2
    cook82
    (female)

cook82 HB Usercook82 HB User
    Re: Did you get abnormal results after giving birth?

Hello Alexain2006,

By Pelvic Inflamatory I assume you mean Pelvic Inflamatory Disease?
    I know of women who have had this - also known as PID.
    If you had it you would probably know it.
    PID does sometimes occur after the birth of a baby.
    In fact you are at risk anytime the cervix is dialated (such as after a D&C for example).

But if you had PID you would know it. This is a pelvic infection and the symptoms are quite nasty. I had a friend who ended up in the hospital needing intravenous antibiotics.

Your pap seems more of a local trouble.
    Have you had a colposcopy and a biopsy of the cervix to get some idea of what this is about? If so what were the results? Certainly after 2 years this would be the first line of diagnostics.

I had an abnormal pap 13 years ago after a miscarriage. I am almost certain the 2 events were related. No testing for bacteria or anything. I was treated with an antiobiotic cream called Cleocin (clindamycin) right away. Following treatment my next pap was normal till the following year when I got it again! I was treated with cleocin again and then my paps were normal for the next 10 years until this year when my results came back ASCUS like yourself.

Marie

Old 01-22-2008, 01:24 PM   #3
    AlexaIn2006
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User

I had a coloscope and a biopsy over a year ago. It came back as nothing to worry about. I wonder why my doctor is testing for bacteria present and many women do not get tested for this as the possible culprit?

I read that many women do not know that they have PID. Not everyone experiences symptoms.

Last edited by AlexaIn2006; 01-22-2008 at 01:25 PM.

Old 01-22-2008, 01:37 PM   #4
    cook82
    (female)

cook82 HB Usercook82 HB User

Hello Alexa,

I know in the 1980's I was scared to death that I had PID because of severe pelvic pain. After my miscarriage in 1987 I had a D&C and laparoscopy as part of my treatment. I was shocked to find that everything was normal.
    Turns out it was an intestinal problem!

If you are concerned that you have chronic PID, you should discuss this with your doctor. There are ways to rule this out.

Some doctors (like mine) don't go thru all this testing to find out why something is happening. They just go for 1st line treatment and hope that it goes away.

I also have a friend who had an abnormal pap when she was in her early
    20's. The doctor just had her come back every 6 months to repeat the pap and keep an eye on it. Just the other day she told me that the abnormal pap resolved itself AFTER she had her first child.

Be well.
    Marie

Closed Thread