It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board

• Vision disturbance.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-24-2008, 11:20 AM   #1
    lizziebee74
    (female)

lizziebee74 HB User
    Vision disturbance.

First hello to everyone here. You all seem so supportive and knowledgeable.

Earlier this month my vision was a little blurry and then I lost vision from the middle of my right eye over to the right. My eye hurt and it seemed like I had to work harder to move my eye around. The vision returned within the hour so I "blew it off" partially because I was on vacation and just wanted to lie down because my head hurt. How stupid right? I went to the eye doctor on Tuesday and he described two different possible conditions, optic neuritis and pseudotumor cerebri. There was evidence of swelling on my optic nerve but the picture of the back of my eye looked good he said. When he asked me if I had any other vision problems, I told him how my eyes are really sensitive to light so I see little flashes here and there (no big deal right) and how I see target signs when I'm in the tub. He asked if I took hot baths and I said yes, very. When they took that picture it hurt my right eye but didn't bother my left eye at all. Later that night I had that same knife-like pain in my right and just kept them closed for a long time, like I was afraid to look and see if my vision was worse (I assumed the blurriness was from the eye exam, dilation etc).

Anyway, I have to go through my MD who will most likely send me to a neuro-ophthamologist. Of course the eye doctor arranged for me to go to her first because he wanted me to be screened for MS right away.

I kind of feel like I'm falling apart. I had been in the ER Sunday for horrible back pain that I thought might be kidney stones because the area of my kidneys felt like I had a tight belt around me and I was having lower back pain that made it hard to walk.

As I've been investigating the different things he said, I've started thinking of little things I had blown off over the last month.
    1. The other day my right arm from the elbow down went numb. I lifted it up and dropped it a few times. Eventually it was fine and I thought it just fell asleep. But there was no stinging like when something falls asleep.
    2. I've started working out this year and when I walk on the treadmill occasionally I would scuff(?) my right foot and kind of trip a little. It was enough to aggravate me but I thought it was only because I was just starting to work out again.
    3. One day I took off my shoes and said I felt like I was walking on pillows because my feet were numb.
    4. During an exam I had to read the questions three times, I'm a very good test taker and have never had that happen.
    5. I keep going to the bathroom (#1) in twos. I'll go and go right back because I won't be totally done.
    6. My hands keep getting really cold.
    7. Someone asked me why I was "walking like that" (exaggerated limp--my right leg felt heavier) which I assumed was due to the back pain but it was only for a half day or so and then I was walking normally again.
    8. A muscle in my upper arm keeps knotting up into a hard ball, that actually sticks out from my arm.
    9. My back muscles are like wood--but this has been ongoing for a long time.
    10. Horrid forgetfulness which is not like me. I assumed it was stress related.
    11. Abdominal swelling which may or may not be related to the rest.

I think I'm just over-analyzing everything and I know there is nothing really to say yet.

I guess my only question is, has anyone here only experienced optic neuritis vision loss for only about an hour? I still have to complete a vision field test on Tuesday to see if any permanent damage was done during the episode. It seems like most people had vision loss that lasted days or weeks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2008, 11:31 AM   #2
    rachel4123
    (female)

rachel4123 HB User
    Re: Vision disturbance.

Do you get migraines? Migraine headache can cause that without head pain. Especially the eye thing only lasting for a short time.

Old 01-24-2008, 11:35 AM   #3
    lizziebee74
    (female)

lizziebee74 HB User

I get tension headaches that usually stop when my husband rubs the knots out of my back.

Old 01-24-2008, 12:06 PM   #4
    duttin
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

duttin HB Userduttin HB User

WELCOME,

many of your symptoms can be off neurological in nature.

the main concern is to start with is the vision and seeing a neuro opthamologist.

I think getting a ms evaluation is a good start to get to the etology of your symptoms

have they started the evaluation yet?

Old 01-24-2008, 12:52 PM   #5
    MSJayhawk
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

My vision disturbance starts when I look in the mirror! LOL. You gotta find humor in your predicament!

Vision problems that are nerve related generally last for 24 hours or more. Nerve damage due to MS requires scarring time in order for the nerve fiber to carry messages again. A pinched nerve could interrupt for an hour. Sometimes it is important to reflect on that which we were doing just prior to the loss. A masseuse may be able to assist with nerve damage associated with a pinched nerve. Neurologist generally show more concern when a symptom has presented 24 hours or more (what I was told by my neurologist, but opinions may vary.)

Old 01-24-2008, 04:59 PM   #6
    lizziebee74
    (female)

lizziebee74 HB User

Yeah, I think it is all just coincidental and I wish he wouldn't have even mentioned it and just said follow up with your doctor. Why even bring it up to me when I'll just worry over nothing.

Closed Thread