It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board

• I have recently been diagnosed with Addisons

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-27-2008, 07:34 AM   #31
    Diane44
    (female)

Diane44 HB User
    Re: I have recently been diagnosed with Addisons

Hi all,

Oh my gosh I am so sorry to hear how sick you are! I am very fortunate to be so healty for as unhealthy as I am. Karen I went to Rochester in Mayo, that is where I was diagnosed. I was sick for months, wnet to so many Dr. apts. and nearly died. Then I was sent to May and within 10 minutes of being in the room with the Dr. he knew what was wrong and had me taken to the ER immediately. Not every Dr. will figure it all out that fast but they have some very good Drs. there. I have been back to Mayo a number of times for check ups and they have been wonderful there. I am only 2 1/2 hours away though, not half a world, so it isn't so bad getting there. If your Dr. would like you to go there though, consider it seriously. Maybe they can help you. Do you have someone who can come with you?

Congrats on the new man in your life. I wouldn't tell him everything right away, first feel him out to see how he is with what he knows already. He can learn the other things as they come, if you tell him all of it right away it might scare him off but, if he has time to get used to them a little at a time it might be easier for him to handle. (Just my opinion.) I don't mean lie to him because that is never a good idea, just let him in on it a little at a time so he has time to adjust. If he loves you or is the one, he will be able to handle it. (again JMO). Maybe others have some personal experiences to share in this area and that may help you too.

Do you or does your Dr. think that your brain tumors could in anyway be causing some of your problems?

Oleqwilter, I had brain fog, muscle and joint pain and a lot of other things going on until I went on Cortef. That is what took my syptoms away. I was on synthroid for many years until the insurance company required I use the generic brand which is levothroxine. I had an over and then under acitve thyroid. I was really tired and my hair fell out easily but that is all I remember of symptoms cause by my thyroid. I am glad that you are doing better. I started out on 25mg of Cortef a day but am now down to 15 and so far so good. If I need more I can take it but they highly recommended taking the lowest dose possible and staying under 20mg daily. I am so glad to hear your bone loss isn't much, I think about that often and wonder how fast it happens and what I can do to stop it aside from taking less medication because that isn't an option. I will talk to my Dr. about Evista and see if it is right for me too.

I started out on the generic Cortef so do not know of any problems with it. It worked really well for me.

Wishing you all a wonderful Sunday and praying that you feel good.
    Diane44

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2008, 01:19 PM   #32
    kareng45
    (female)

kareng45 HB User

Hey all

I hope today has been a good day for all of you, I finially took a shower, ha. the frist one since Thursday monrning, I always take one every day, I even wanted to go to church, but somehow I just didn't have the energy if you all can hear where I'm coming from. I am on 33 med's a day, my Dr's say that I have a number of illness that could keep me from waking up in the morning. I try to fight as much as I can some days my body just shut's down and I have to sleep for two or three days to let everything build back up, or so that my say about it. Yes they put me on Fludrocortisone 0.1mg and on Prednisone 5mg. I've had to stop them, now my blood pressure is 93 over 58 before I got my pacemaker my heart rate was 28 to 35 for the month I was out of the hospiltal. My Dr. told me none of my glands were working, I also am a Dibetic and have fibro and many more problems. Hope you all are havine a good day.

Old 01-28-2008, 01:55 PM   #33
    kareng45
    (female)

kareng45 HB User

Hey all

I hope today has been a good day for all of you, I finially took a shower, ha. the frist one since Thursday monrning, I always take one every day, I even wanted to go to church, but somehow I just didn't have the energy if you all can hear where I'm coming from. I am on 33 med's a day, my Dr's say that I have a number of illness that could keep me from waking up in the morning. I try to fight as much as I can some days my body just shut's down and I have to sleep for two or three days to let everything build back up, or so that my say about it. Yes they put me on Fludrocortisone 0.1mg and on Prednisone 5mg. I've had to stop them, now my blood pressure is 93 over 58 before I got my pacemaker my heart rate was 28 to 35 for the month I was out of the hospiltal. My Dr. told me none of my glands were working, I also am a Dibetic and have fibro and many more problems. Hope you all are havine a good day.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:50 PM   #34
    shanny babe
    (female)

shanny babe HB User

I just recentlly was diagnosed last week. It was hard for me to tell if something was wrong, i was pregnant with what i thought were symptoms of being pregnant.I had dark skin on my face first then at the end it was all over my body, at the end of my pregnancy i was very weak. I delivered my second child, and afterward i was very very tired, the nextday i had a seizure. I have never had a seizure before,after i came home i was becoming weaker and weaker, i walked slow i had no energy. I tried to go back to work after eight weeks, i was to weak. I lost weight at a rapid pace and became weaker by the day.When i went back to work people thought i was anorexic.I am small to begin with so losing weight during pregnacy was bad, but this is much worst. I am down to 96lbs. I just started taking hydrocortisone 15mg in the morning and 10mg at night.I threw up the whole time i was prego and a few times after. now i can keep things down.I still fell tired sometimes,but i just started my medication. I want to go back to work soon i misss all my clients, it's going to be hard to balance.I wanted to know if there is anyone else in california that has this or if anyone had after or during pregnancy?

Last edited by shanny babe; 01-29-2008 at 08:54 PM.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:04 AM   #35
    kareng45
    (female)

kareng45 HB User
    Question Re: I have recently been diagnosed with Addisons

Just thought I would let everyone know the what the Dr's told me just the other day, and that's why I've felt so bad. They say I have Cerebellar Ataria, just anyone else have this on this site. I also wanted to ask what is Brain fog, because I feel like I have had that to sometimes in the past. I know this is short and sweet however, I really did have a bad day yesterday. I had to go to the eye Dr. about the pressure in my eye's and also go on to Tupelo and have a Ct scan of my head and I was just give out. If anyone know what kind of foods I need to eat or can offer me any advise of all of this I would really be glad because I am really confussed, it's like everytime I go to a Dr. they find something else wrong with me. Well let's keep our heads up and keep smiling and things will get better I just know it. I'm so proud I've found this message board, thank you all for being here and shareing. I'm going to go rest awhile now, ha. I'm getting tired, that trip wares me out. Love all of ya'll

Old 02-16-2008, 07:37 PM   #36
    warhawkmom
    (female)

warhawkmom HB User

Hello all. My mother has Addisons/Schmidts Disease. She was diagnosed over 40 years ago. She is now 66 years old and has been realitively healthy, until last Tuesday when she came down with that horrible stomach virus that is going around. She had the dry heaves, vomited once and 2 episodes of
    diarrhea. By the time I got her to the ER her bp was 89/46. The vomiting as stopped she is still nauseated and lots of diarrhea. The doctor took her IV out yesterday (big mistake) Today she was fading fast they put the IV back in and started her on IV steroids again. ANYWAYS--I just wanted to let people know you can live along time with this. She posted here quite sometime ago but never got back on. I wanted to because I am interested in how many people are out there who have had this disease for this long. When she was diagnosed she was told she was the 16th person in the world with this. I wonder if an aging addisons patient has different needs. I would like her labs tested and her doctor told her he could not check her cortisone levels. I found that hard to believe. I would like her to go to a research hospital and see one of thier doctors just for a 2nd opinion. She lives with me so I can keep a close eye on her. I know I will have more questions as I read peoples stories but I will start with this. Thanks for reading!

Closed Thread