It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board

• Fosamax before Forteo

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-29-2008, 12:58 PM   #16
    DesertBloom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

DesertBloom HB UserDesertBloom HB User
    Re: Fosamax before Forteo

Hi Aleta: Unfortunately, all rats are predisposed to "some" cancers, but not all of the types we humans see. When they started the study they couldn't have known that the rats would get osteosarcoma from Forteo. The purpose of the trial was to find out what negative/positive effects it had on the rats, however even though we know that rats are predisposed to most cancers, there's no way they could have known that Forteo would cause osteosarcoma, so stopping that particular human trial was the only prudent thing they could do. Could you imagine what people would have said if they didn't stop the trial, even though human osteosarcoma was rare. The rat studies were the first hint that osteosarcoma could occur at high doses, for long periods of admin, in animals of a young age with growing bones.

I've had a QCT scan twice, but each was before I started on the Forteo. I had the option of having another one instead of a DXA, but choose not to do that. From what I've been told, the QCT over estimates the bmd and DXA under estimates it. I don't know what having another QCT would do, other than confuse me more, so I think I'll just stick to the DXA. This is all so confusing anyway... I don't believe these tests are prefect anyway, so I don't put a huge amount of trust into either. If my score increases that's great but I have to remember the error rate, things that can change the score artificially, like arthritis, hardware, and scoliosis, and then try and figure what the numbers mean

I was thinking about what your husband said about the bone getting larger, and wondered if it would negatively affect the discs, but I don't think it would. He has bone loss in the spine-right?? So if Forteo increases that by filling in the resporptive cavity, and then a protective layer, it may enlarge the bone but hopefully only back to it's original pre-loss state, like what it was at when he was young. If Forteo could actually return our bones back to perfect density, then Forteo would be some sort of miracle drug-right? I don't think it overly enlarges it to the extent that it would interfere with the discs. There is a disease that grows bones rapidly and makes them go way beyond their original state, which would be horrible, but I can't think of the name of it right now. When I look at my x-rays my discs are almost indistinguishable, but the fxing has stopped for now. It was the fxs that caused the most damage to my discs, so I hope he doesn't have that problem. I still don't understand how Forteo could cause pain relief...but apparently some say it does Did you read any of the studies on this??

Anyway let us know how his training goes, and hopefully it will work fantastically for him!!!!!

Last edited by DesertBloom; 01-29-2008 at 03:22 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2008, 02:56 PM   #17
    DesertBloom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

DesertBloom HB UserDesertBloom HB User

Hi Taape: How are you?? Have you decided to go the bisphos route, or something else? I know how frustrating this is, but in the clinical trials the length of time they administered the Forteo was "one" of the reasons they limited it to 2 years. When they did the second rat study, where they gave them the human dose like we take (20 mcgs) and stopped it at 20 mos none of the rats got cancer, so unfortunately the amount of time on it played a role in the FDA coming up with their reasons for approving it for a group of patients with high risk for fx's, and excluding those who had radiation to the skeleton, pagets disease and hypocalcemia patients etc. Did you ever have any calcium probs while you were on it? Just curious, since my situation has never been explained. My Ca reading was above the normal range before I started it, but not high enough to prompt them to "not" give it to me. I haven't had anymore fx's in 5 years so I hope I could say it's the Forteo doing that, but who knows. If I ever figure out a way to stay on it, which I haven't so far, I'll let you know.

As frustrating as this is, I'm still glad it was available "at all".

Let us know what you decide. I know there aren't a lot of iv bisphos users here, but I've talked to some who are doing well on it. Can you ask your Dr if you could talk to some patients that might be on it, and find out how they are doing?

Good Luck... Haven't seen you on the board much, so I hope that means you are too busy with other wonderful things in your life...

Old 01-29-2008, 05:01 PM   #18
    taape
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

Hi Desertbloom,
    Thanks for asking about me. For now I've decided not to use the IV bisphosphonates and just continue with Calcium and exercise. After my DEXA scan in May then I'll make some decisions about whether I add medications or not.

Thanks for the explanation about the clinic trials. I never had any irregular calcium readings before or during the Forteo treatment. I had a blood draw yesterday testing for Vitamin D, 25 hydroxy and not sure why my calcium level wasn't being checked also but if it was always in the normal range maybe there's no reason. I'm here off and on but always reading posts. I'll let you know what my DEXA scores are after the test. Luckily, my insurance is willing to pay for yearly DEXA scans.

Closed Thread