It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• 6 month results of Niacin therapy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-19-2008, 08:18 PM   #16
    Arizona77
    (male)

Arizona77 HB User
    Re: 6 month results of Niacin therapy

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pat007 View Post
    Hi, Arizona77,

Can you post your BLOOD SUGAR results when you have your tests done again in June? (I saw that you are having them drawn at that time from another post)

My husband was on 500mg. for one month.

Numbers JAN 2008:
    TC- 181
    HDL- 53
    TRIG 53
    LDL- 118
    Blood sugar was not on result sheet.

Numbers FEB 2008:
    TC- 182
    HDL- 51
    TRG- 94 **(higher then in Jan)
    LDL- 113
    BLOOD SUGAR was 118 *** (did not have a result last month)

Today the Doc was little concerned over the blood sugar and wants to keep an eye on it as he has never presented any diabectic symptoms before.

He also raised Niaspan to 1,500 mg. and wiil be re-drawn in 1 month in March.

Hi Pat007,

Hope that everything works out for your husband. As for Niacin this is all quoting my Doctor,

"There is no correlation between type 2 diabetes and Niacin. Someone that has their blood sugar in the normal range may have their blood sugar go up a few points".

I have been on Niacin for over seven months and my blood sugar did not change at all. August of last year Niacin free my glucose was at 85 and after seven months of Niacin 88. I will definitely let you know how things turn out in June. I am concerned my self and never had blood sugar issues in the past. Also I hope that I can maintain my current numbers. I hope that everything works out! Please keep us posted. My Doctor is closely monitoring me and once I get retested in June I will share my results with everyone. Again all the best!

Last edited by Arizona77; 02-19-2008 at 08:34 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2008, 07:00 AM   #17
    dmer
    (male)

dmer HB User

Arizona,

Thank you for all of this information. Do you know and if so, would you share the numbers from your liver function test over the duration of your Niacin therapy?

In another post, I related my numbers on Pravachol and part of what concerned me was the elevation in AST. On the sugar related topic, my Dr. stated that the glucose number, because of it's volatility, was not as reliable an indicator of any potential diabetic issue as Hemoglobin A1C.

Anyway, thanks for the info.

Old 02-22-2008, 07:43 PM   #18
    Arizona77
    (male)

Arizona77 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmer View Post
    Arizona,

Thank you for all of this information. Do you know and if so, would you share the numbers from your liver function test over the duration of your Niacin therapy?

In another post, I related my numbers on Pravachol and part of what concerned me was the elevation in AST. On the sugar related topic, my Dr. stated that the glucose number, because of it's volatility, was not as reliable an indicator of any potential diabetic issue as Hemoglobin A1C.

Anyway, thanks for the info.
    Hi Dmer,

With Niacin my AST was at 35.... normal range is (8-48). Prior to taking Niacin
    I was taking Red Yeast Rice and my AST at that time was at 25. So Niacin raised my AST 10 points. My Doctor is not concerned and all other tests were normal. Also I take immediate release Niacin and my Doctor told me that it is less harsh on your liver like Slo-Niacin or any Niacin that is time released over a very long period of time. Niaspan is time released but is safe and effective. The release of Niaspan is pretty much the same on your liver like immediate release Niacin.

Closed Thread