It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board

• I need a colonoscopy, how much should this cost and do insurance companies pay for th

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-19-2008, 12:07 PM   #1
    drinderle
    (female)

drinderle HB User
    I need a colonoscopy, how much should this cost and do insurance companies pay for th

I need a colonoscopy, how much should this cost and do insurance companies pay for this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2008, 02:09 PM   #2
    sammi2
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammi2 HB Usersammi2 HB Usersammi2 HB User
    Re: I need a colonoscopy, how much should this cost and do insurance companies pay fo

I'm not sure of the cost but I think most insurance companies cover it.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:06 PM   #3
    heidihihi
    (female)

heidihihi HB User
    Re: I need a colonoscopy, how much should this cost and do insurance companies pay fo

Most insurance companies will pay for colonoscopies for people over 50. If your doctor determines that it is necessary for you to have one sooner due to GI problems or a family history of colon cancer it should also be covered. I am 42 years old. Several months ago I had cramping and a little bit of bleeding. My doctor recommended a colonoscopy which was completely covered by my HMO. They found a giant polyp which turned out to be cancerous. I had surgery and am now having chemotherapy. I'm so glad I had the colonoscopy when I did!

Old 02-20-2008, 09:33 AM   #4
    PCTECH01
    (male)

PCTECH01 HB User

Check with your health insurance plan but usually the associated charges are covered in full with the exception of a small copay. I just researched the cost of my wife's colonoscopy from Oct 2007 and the charges were as follows:

Outpatient Medical Center-- $900.00.. Insurance Paid $727.18
    Laboratory (2 specimen tests)-- $201.00.. Insurance Paid $177.52
    Doctor Services-- $700.00.. Insurance Paid $273.08.. $15.00 Patient Copay

And... if you have been diagnosed with colo/rectal cancer and need surgury with chemo & radiation, expect the charges to exceed $1 Million (Memorial Sloan Kettering & other NYC area hospitals 2005/2006).

Closed Thread