It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board

• Examples of Herxing

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-20-2008, 05:03 AM   #1
    KeyLyme
    Veteran
    (female)

KeyLyme HB User
    Examples of Herxing

I have been on a PICC line since the beginning of October 2007. My pain has substantially decreased and I'm actually able to walk at a normal pace. I thought I would give some examples of my herx's just in case anyone is wondering what could happen during a herx. My herx's consistently happen every 3 weeks so it's nice to be able to plan around them

First week of PICC line: Felt like I had the full blown flu

Other herx's:

Knee joints and elbows swelling up, turning red and being extremely hot. I had to keep ice packs on them.

Severe vision changes: double vision and complete range of seeing everything moving up and down very quickly (like someone was shaking me). Couldn't walk or drive at that time.

Short term memory loss: asking the same question over and over again. Not remembering what I had done (had to start writing things down or I would forget that I did them)

Speech problems: saying words in a sentence in the wrong order.

Those were the worst ones. The other ones were just flu like symptoms, sore joints, etc etc... I'm sure I've had other problems but I can't remember them right now.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2008, 01:56 AM   #2
    Lateralus112358
    (male)

Lateralus112358 HB User
    Re: Examples of Herxing

That's funny... I thought a herx was just like an upset stomach and maybe a fever...

I don't know why I thought that, though.

So when you're herxing, the lyme symptoms actually get worse? Like the joint problems and stuff. Hmm.

EDIT: LOL you're name is Keylyme.... it's good to keep a sense of humor about it all. I hope you feel better.

I hate doctors.

Last edited by Lateralus112358; 02-21-2008 at 01:57 AM.

Old 02-21-2008, 05:40 AM   #3
    KeyLyme
    Veteran
    (female)

KeyLyme HB User

some herx's can be really miserable. Mine last for a few days and then they are over...then I feel back to normal. I figure at least I know the abx are working.

Thanks!

Old 02-21-2008, 05:12 PM   #4
    smith20
    (female)

smith20 HB User

Hi KeyLyme,
    I'm curious about the 3 week cycle. Do you take your medications on a 3 week cycle also? ie a week off then back on for 3 weeks? I am wondering what to expect if I start IV. I figured the first few weeks would be the worst but assumed optimistically that things would progressively get better after that.
    Thanks!
    Sarah

Old 02-21-2008, 09:40 PM   #5
    ktinbk
    (female)

ktinbk HB User

hi keylyme,

thanks for this post. i'm still learning about which symptoms mean what. i feel like everything's a little rusty here and there... sometimes i feel like a broken toy!

so the flu like symptoms you mention are part of herxing? i've been trying to tell myself i'm feeling better (and i have had some good days since i've been on the meds that make me hopeful i'll feel like that again) but i haven't noticed a clear pattern to my symptoms yet. just that i've had a terrible sore throat since starting the minocycline a couple weeks ago. could that be part of the herx??

otherwise, feeling achey, cranky, also getting words mixed up (gotten so used to this that i just play it off). today i was trying to run to catch my train and i felt like my knees were literally broken... they did not want to hurry even if it meant waiting for the next train. that and some terrible chest pain that really freaks me out. actually i feel like i have an ache in every body part right now. i've heard about herxing but it's hard for me to tell what's a good sign and what's a sign my body is falling apart. i was going to ask Dr. R about it Monday.

Old 02-23-2008, 07:22 AM   #6
    KeyLyme
    Veteran
    (female)

KeyLyme HB User

Typically my herx's come every three weeks or so. It's because it takes the Lyme bacteria 3 weeks to replicate...so every three weeks the abx kill off the new bacteria. When the bacteria dies, it release toxins that make symptoms worse or create new ones.

Typically if you feel worse on abx, then it means the abx are working. Good luck

Old 02-23-2008, 10:10 AM   #7
    tiredpoet
    Veteran
    (female)

tiredpoet HB User

This is good info and I thank you for sharing it. I just finished my second week on abx, and today especially it's taking it's toll. I slept for 13 hours and woke up feeling like I couldn't physically move my legs. They were just so weak. I feel like I have a bad sinus infection and a virus rolled into one. I have intermittent dizziness, joint pains and shooting pains in various parts of my body, and that awful crawling itch that feels like it's under the skin and moving around all the time. (It's gross, but all I can picture is a cartoon-like image of little lyme bacteria running around under my skin having themselves a big ol' party.) I'm still feeling hopeful that all of this means I'm on the road to getting better, but I don't think I've been this weak in a long, long time.

The nausea has become unbearable, but I don't think that's the lyme; I think the antibiotics would do that to me no matter what I was taking them for. Does anyone have any tips for what to do when I get so nauseous?

Old 02-23-2008, 10:27 AM   #8
    KeyLyme
    Veteran
    (female)

KeyLyme HB User

You might see if your dr can prescribe Zofram. It is a really great anti nausea pill. It just went generic as well.

I feel for you...just keep hanging on. You're on the road to recovery!

Old 02-27-2008, 05:15 PM   #9
    RFM
    (female)

RFM HB User

How long should I expect to have the herx reaction? Months? I am starting abx this week. I was thinking I might have to miss a week of work but from reading these posts, I am thinking I will miss much more work. I would appreciate hearing about anyone's experience with the herxing.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:10 PM   #10
    KeyLyme
    Veteran
    (female)

KeyLyme HB User

My herx's last for about 3 days. I've been on a PICC for 6 months now and I'm still having herx's. In fact, I'm in the middle of one right now....ugh.

Closed Thread